Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How much do you sleep?
How much do you sleep?
2009-08-05, 7:08 AM #1
I'm wondering because I've been thinking about it and keeping a tally since I got onboard, and I've come up with an average of about 20-25 hours of sleep a week. I'm thinking that really can't be healthy. I'd break it down by day, but I never get a full night's worth of sleep. It's always 2 hours here or 3 hours there.

Typically I'll get off work at 1600 and I wait to eat chow at about 1700. Then PT (Physical Training) at 1800 till 1830. Then after a shower I get to sleep about 1900 as long as there's not training (which there usually is, and which normally lasts until 2100). Then I have to be up most nights at 2230 for the rest of the night (my workcenter's scheduled time for maintenance is from 2300 to 0700. Granted I occaisionally get an hour or two in there because we don't usually have maintenance that needs to take that whole length of time). Then work from 0700 to 1600 again. Luckily, I don't have PT every day, and I don't have training every day. So I manage to get an extra hour or two here or there...

If anyone's ever read Starship Troopers, you may recall how fondly the narrator talks about rack time. I now understand what he means.

But anyway, Post your sleeping habits or lack thereof, and the reasons for suck.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-05, 7:24 AM #2
sleep is for the weak
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-08-05, 7:29 AM #3
Originally posted by mb:
sleep is for the weak

Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-05, 7:30 AM #4
If it's any consolation, my grandpa (Who is 62), takes naps all the time. He says he's still trying to catch up on sleep from Vietnam.
2009-08-05, 7:55 AM #5
My roommates get back from work around 3AM. I normally don't bother going to sleep before 1, so I might get an hour or two of sleep before they get home and I wake up and we usually watch a TV show or part of a movie, going to bed around 4 or 5.
I usually get up around 9 on average, so I get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night.
2009-08-05, 8:14 AM #6
I sleep from anywhere from 1 to 4 in the morning until about 11 am.

Mostly because I have nothing else to do, most days.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-08-05, 8:15 AM #7
Sleep... it seems I've been getting less and less this summer. Last night I went to bed around 1 and got up about 6:30.

I'm pretty sure everybody is different when it comes to the amount they need. 6 hours is my magic number. I think my wife's is around 20...

I'm a grouchy ***** when I get less than 6 hours of sleep and it's harder for me to focus. It hurts my fingertips like crazy to play my bass on less than 6 hours of sleep also. I'm a light sleeper, so on overnight gigs I usually have to take 2-3 tylenol or ibuprofin at bedtime to make sure I get some sleep.

I shoot for a minimum of 6 hours a night. Every night I go to bed wishing I had gone to bed earlier and resolve to go to bed earlier the next night. Rinse and repeat...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-05, 8:32 AM #8
There have been studies that have shown people who sleep 6 hours a night on average, live longer than people that get 7-8 hours a night. I hope it's true because I sleep about 5-6 hours a night on the average. My girlfriend/roommate gets about 9-10 hour a night and is still sleepy when she wakes up, I've seen her sleep almost 24 hours once.
2009-08-05, 8:58 AM #9
Takes me almost 2 hours to fall asleep at night, but I probably get around 6 solid hours, then lie in bed for a couple more hours in that in-and-out phase.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-08-05, 9:16 AM #10
Originally posted by Temperamental:
There have been studies that have shown people who sleep 6 hours a night on average, live longer than people that get 7-8 hours a night. I hope it's true because I sleep about 5-6 hours a night on the average. My girlfriend/roommate gets about 9-10 hour a night and is still sleepy when she wakes up, I've seen her sleep almost 24 hours once.

Good news is if the researchers prove to be right, you'll end your last few years free of bickering!

:suicide:
2009-08-05, 9:23 AM #11
Yeah. Believe me, I take full advantage of the fact that she remains asleep while I can be awake in some peace and quiet for a little bit. :D
2009-08-05, 9:28 AM #12
My girlfriend is too much of a light sleeper for that. I so much as shift the covers and she wakes up. Forget about trying to get some alone time in the morning. >.<
2009-08-05, 9:33 AM #13
That's what the night before is for,

IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN

I'm lucky enough to have one of those matresses that "supposedly" doesn't transfer movement, so when I get up to leave she isn't bothered. Problem is our bedroom door is loud as hell when you open it, but she usually just turns over and goes right back to sleep within seconds.
2009-08-05, 1:38 PM #14
Everyone is different, but everything that I've ever read about sleep, including what I heard on NPR the other day states that the average person needs about 8-9 hours of sleep each night to feel rested. I don't get nearly enough sleep. My body & mind require 8-9 hours but I get about 6-7.
? :)
2009-08-05, 1:51 PM #15
Originally posted by Temperamental:

I believe those studies found that ~7 hours sleep equated to the maximum lifespan. Ofcourse that's assuming is isn't complete bollocks. :P

I get about 8 hours of sleep a night. It'd be more if I didn't set an alarm even on my days off, I hate waking up too late.
nope.
2009-08-05, 2:09 PM #16
8 hours a night i aim for
2009-08-05, 2:10 PM #17
8-10 anymore and im groggy.
2009-08-05, 2:13 PM #18
In college, 3-4 hours a night on average. Now that I've graduated (and am unemployed till grad school starts): 10-14.
2009-08-05, 3:34 PM #19
well I'm up all night on watch once again. (it's 1:30 am. I went to sleep at 10:30 last night.) However, tomorrow marks our official half-way point in our cruise, which means that based on our schedule, we're halfway to being back in San Diego. For this reason, we get an extra holida routine, so I'm going to have some free time to sleep. :D I'm terribly excited. I'll get off watch about 7am, and probably sleep till 2 or 3 in the afternoon. :D
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-05, 3:39 PM #20
6-7 on weekdays, 9-10 on weekends.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-05, 3:58 PM #21
lately its been about 4-6 hours a day
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-08-05, 4:01 PM #22
Originally posted by Emon:

About the same, though sometimes less on some nights if something with work comes up. Really, though, I don't know why I don't get plenty of sleep at night. I don't really have a 9-5 job. My boss doesn't care when I show up or go home or come in at all as long as I get my job done. I guess I just feel like I'm getting more accomplished if I get to my office at 7:30 then leave around 2, even though I was probably up until 10 or 11 the night before.
2009-08-05, 4:41 PM #23
During the summer, I started with only like 4-5 hours of sleep. I gradually moved to around 6.5hrs, and now I'm back to staying up till 2 or 3, but still getting 8 hours.

During the school year, I always aim for 8 hours
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-08-05, 5:03 PM #24
7 hours is perfect for me. I wake feeling more rested than when I sleep longer than that.

Right now it's really irregular for me. In the weekends I'll get 7 or 8 hours. On some workdays I might get as much as three hours. But on my day off I'll make up for that by sleeping 9-10 hours solid. When I was younger I used to be able to sleep insanely long, like 15 or 16 hours. I've done 20, even. But only when I really needed it. (Bad hangovers lawl)

I sleep easily though. I am able to fall asleep anywhere at any time I wish. I also don't wake up easily. I used to be almost unable to wake up in summers. I'd lie in bed in a semi-comatose state, where my mind would be sort of awake, but my body felt too heavy and too weak to move. But somehow I got over it, mostly.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-08-05, 7:34 PM #25
i binge sleep. due to the nature of the beast, i work my *** off in lab for about two days, and then i pass out in a mini-coma for about 12 hours. rinse and repeat. so i guess on average, i get a decent amount of sleep.
2009-08-05, 8:29 PM #26
Sleep is for the dead. If u find yourself falling asleep take meth lolz!
2009-08-05, 9:20 PM #27
For me it really depends on the day. Some times I'll get 8-9 hours, some days I'll get 3-4, usually about 6 hours though. I have a pretty irregular sleep schedule and use sleep as an avoidance technique...so yeah, it really depends on the day.

Also, this reminded me...
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
Sleep is for the dead. If u find yourself falling asleep take meth lolz!
Attachment: 22458/methpuppy.jpg (31,058 bytes)
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-08-05, 9:23 PM #28
Originally posted by Emon:

This
2009-08-05, 9:53 PM #29
7 or 8 hours most weeknights. Occasionally 10-11 on weekends
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-08-05, 10:11 PM #30
I want 8 to 9 a night, but during school I usually get about 7. But I feel like hell during school regardless of how much sleep I get, so it doesn't really matter. In the summer, I sleep however much I want. Last night I was up til 6 playing StarCraft, and got up at 10 because some friends wanted to hang out. Tonight I'll go to bed about 1 and not get up til, well, whenever I wake up.
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!