Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ip Man: ONE EPIC MOVIE
Ip Man: ONE EPIC MOVIE
2009-08-05, 2:30 PM #1
Hollywood gotta hire the director to choregraph some fist fights man. Its as good as it gets here. If you like this one, there are other fight scenes from the movie in the playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4&feature=related

If you are interested, this movie is called Ip Man, it is loosly based off of a martial arts master. His fighting style is called Wing Chun, a form that is developed by a woman, or a nun to be more specific.

EDIT: forgot to put up a video explaining the chain punches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRu0UaZTbVI&feature=related
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-05, 2:52 PM #2
Funky, but I can't help but think someone could have attacked him from behind whilst he spent 5 seconds just slapping that bloke on the ground. :P
nope.
2009-08-05, 4:51 PM #3
I was hoping that there will be a state side theater release, but it looks like I might have to cough up $35 or more for the Blu-Ray version.
2009-08-05, 6:03 PM #4
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Funky, but I can't help but think someone could have attacked him from behind whilst he spent 5 seconds just slapping that bloke on the ground. :P

I was thinking the same thing, but I think it's actually common for most Kung Fu movies.
2009-08-05, 6:07 PM #5
WHOAT that uguy beat all those ugys
2009-08-05, 7:00 PM #6
That's Donnie Yen, probably most well known in Iron Monkey or Once Upon a Time in China 2 (or possibly that utter atrocity of a movie Shanghai Knights. I actually love Jackie Chan, but that movie is so bad).

Here's an awesome Donnie Yen fight scene from Flash Point, fighting in MMA style
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-08-05, 7:33 PM #7
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Here's an awesome Donnie Yen fight scene from Flash Point, fighting in MMA style

That was pretty awesome.

The ground game was a little meh. The worst of which was at the very end where he takes the guy's back and goes for a choke, and crosses his feet. All the bad guy had to do was triangle his legs over the good guy's ankles and bridge and he would have screamed like a little girl.
2009-08-05, 7:43 PM #8
Ohhh. Never thought about that, yeah you're right. Now the fight is kinda less satisfying = (
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-05, 8:21 PM #9
Originally posted by SithGhost:
The ground game was a little meh. The worst of which was at the very end where he takes the guy's back and goes for a choke, and crosses his feet. All the bad guy had to do was triangle his legs over the good guy's ankles and bridge and he would have screamed like a little girl.

It was very meh.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-05, 8:35 PM #10
Originally posted by Avenger:
It was very meh.

Yeah, I guess a "little" doesn't quite describe it. He went for an arm bar from side control when he could have easily jumped into full mount since the guy wasn't making any attempt to prevent it. Also, when he locked up the triangle and the bad guy stood up to slam him, I'm pretty sure he could have just hooked the leg and landed in a triangle from mount. Oh, and did I hear bones cracking from a rear naked? I'm not sure how possible that is.
2009-08-05, 8:52 PM #11
I think it was the sound of tightening the grip, not bone cracking.
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-05, 11:45 PM #12
You can step over from an arm bar from side control if you're quick and the other guys doesn't know it's coming, but it all just looked kind of silly given that they couldn't use an actual armbar or triangle. Like you said before, with the arm bar or the triangle, driving the hips up in either case would have ended it.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-06, 5:40 AM #13
I don't know anything about fighting, but I feel bad for Tony. :P
nope.
2009-08-06, 6:16 AM #14
Doesn't matter how effective those "chain punches" might be, it still looks like a little girl having a slap fight :P
2009-08-06, 6:49 PM #15
You might not say that if you were on the receiving end XD
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-06, 8:10 PM #16
You can go side control -> knee on belly -> armbar (on the other side)

And there are guys who just don't give a **** and keep going after their arm snaps from an armbar ... super nasty to watch in a competition

Also nothing is for sure ... yea normally you can screw the guy over if he crosses his legs in a rear naked but the dude was like exhausted, already choking, and Donnie Yen probably wouldn't have given a **** if his feet hurt since he obviously really hated the dude

Also this is a movie and it would be boring if they were actually rolling slowly, methodically, for position

Edit: obligatory script translation for the first clip (the summary's already on the sidebar of the yt video fyi)

Quote:
Interpreter: It seems he wishes to fight 10 of your men.

General (scoffs): 10 men?

Interpreter: Yes.

Annoying-sounding officer: Ha! This is something I want to see.

(Serious stares)

Annoying-sounding officer calls out the groups of fighters that are to fight.
"Begin!"

Interpreter (to Donnie Yen in Chinese): Be careful.

[Lots of ***-kicking]

General: Halt!

[Kicks rice bags]

General: Let's meet again.

Interpreter (in Chinese): He wants you to come back here once more.

Donnie Yen (in Chinese): I didn't come here for this rice.

Interpreter (to General): He says he will come again.

[Donnie Yen walks away]

General: Oi!

General: What's your name, boy?

Interpreter (in Chinese): He wishes to know your name.

Donnie Yen: I'm just a Chinese man.

Interpreter: He is [whatever Ip Man is called in Japanese].
一个大西瓜
2009-08-06, 11:18 PM #17
Originally posted by Pommy:
You can go side control -> knee on belly -> armbar (on the other side)

No doubt, although arm bar from knee on belly is more likely if he tries to push the knee away with the wrong arm (something an expert martial artist would never do).

An arm bar just seemed strange because he was trying to kill him. The guy wasn't doing anything to prevent a full mount--his leg wasn't even up. An arm bar will maim someone, unloading fists and elbows on his head would screw him up much more.

Quote:
Also nothing is for sure ... yea normally you can screw the guy over if he crosses his legs in a rear naked but the dude was like exhausted, already choking, and Donnie Yen probably wouldn't have given a **** if his feet hurt since he obviously really hated the dude

Keeping your feet crossed in the center is an early white belt mistake. No ground fighting expert would ever do this. This guy is supposed to be a martial arts master, isn't he? Also, that move doesn't just cause discomfort of the feet, it threatens severe damage to both ankles. If you knew that someone was holding onto a rear naked and wasn't going to let go even after you passed out, I would think that would be enough adrenaline to snap his ankles when he makes such a basic mistake.

Quote:
Also this is a movie and it would be boring if they were actually rolling slowly, methodically, for position

You don't have to roll slowly to roll properly.
2009-08-06, 11:55 PM #18
Originally posted by SithGhost:

An arm bar just seemed strange because he was trying to kill him. The guy wasn't doing anything to prevent a full mount--his leg wasn't even up. An arm bar will maim someone, unloading fists and elbows on his head would screw him up much more.
It's a movie and they obviously wanted to showcase BJJ moves

Quote:
Keeping your feet crossed in the center is an early white belt mistake. No ground fighting expert would ever do this. This guy is supposed to be a martial arts master, isn't he? Also, that move doesn't just cause discomfort of the feet, it threatens severe damage to both ankles. If you knew that someone was holding onto a rear naked and wasn't going to let go even after you passed out, I would think that would be enough adrenaline to snap his ankles when he makes such a basic mistake.
It's a movie and Donnie Yen is not a BJJ player (i think he was just trying to get his hooks in but messed it up and they didn't want to spend the $/film to refilm it) and the other guy was at the point of not enough oxygen > adrenaline in terms of effect already

Quote:
You don't have to roll slowly to roll properly.
When I say slow I mean relatively in comparison to what's in that clip, and also in progression and not technique execution. If they were really experienced BJJ players, like you mentioned, the fight progression would take forever (way longer than the attention span of most people who watch the movie) and not have enough crazy dynamic moves to keep things flashy
一个大西瓜
2009-08-07, 12:12 AM #19
It's a movie and they obviously wanted to showcase BJJ moves

Obvious, however, it still doesn't make sense. I'm not implying that the fight would end at a full mount. It's a flashy martial arts movie, I'm sure if he can slam him with super human strength they could have come up with some cool way for him to escape mount. Or, better yet, just have him put up the slightest defense against it so it doesn't happen.

Quote:
It's a movie and Donnie Yen is not a BJJ player (i think he was just trying to get his hooks in but messed it up and they didn't want to spend the $/film to refilm it) and the other guy was at the point of not enough oxygen > adrenaline in terms of effect already

It's still ****ty BJJ no matter how you spin it.

Quote:
When I say slow I mean relatively in comparison to what's in that clip, and also in progression and not technique execution. If they were really experienced BJJ players, like you mentioned, the fight progression would take forever (way longer than the attention span of most people who watch the movie) and not have enough crazy dynamic moves to keep things flashy

I'm not saying the fight should have realistic pace and length as two BJJ experts rolling--it's a movie, obviously it's supposed to be fast. I'm saying, if you're going to perform a particular martial art in a movie, don't do a half-*** job of it. And actually, BJJ does have quite a few "crazy dynamic" moves that are flashy and would be exciting at film speed. I would argue that these moves would actually be more interesting to see at film speed than the typical endless barrage of punches and kicks that we are used to seeing.
2009-08-07, 4:45 AM #20
Do you read and write Chinese, Pommy?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-08-07, 7:18 AM #21
SG: Dude, it's a movie ... even if they had thrown in flying armbars and **** it wouldn't have been as "exciting" as falling down two stories or breaking concrete blocks with low kicks etc etc. Maybe if he had done a flying armbar while falling down two stories and kicking concrete blocks in the air with his third leg.

It's not like anyone actually fights the way people do in HK kung fu movies either (or like in the first clip for that matter) but it makes it fun to watch ... my point is that it's never been expected that fights of any kind in a movie will be 'realistic' or 'true to the art' or whatever because (warning, marketing speech incoming) that won't deliver the kind of value most viewers are looking for (which is cheap flashy exciting violence)

Mort: My Chinese/Japanese literacy is terrible but I speak Chinese natively and can more or less understand Japanese
一个大西瓜
2009-08-07, 8:07 AM #22
Can you tell me anything about this Chinese note?
http://www.sickball.org.uk/mort/100_5020.JPG

I found it at my grandmother's house amongst some old coins. I don't think it's especially old or interesting, but it's curious because I don't think anyone in my family has ever been anywhere near China and I have no idea how my grandmother came to own it.
2009-08-07, 8:52 AM #23
It says 1 yuan on it but it's not the current standard 1 yuan note (and doesn't look like Chinese currency, which is colorful)

After looking around (as I am not very familiar w/ the history of Chinese currency), I would venture that it is a Taiwanese 1 yuan note from <=50 yrs ago since 1) it has sun yat-sen on it and 2) it looks like other old Taiwanese bills)

Edit: yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Taiwan_dollar
一个大西瓜
2009-08-07, 6:50 PM #24
SG: Dude, it's a movie ... even if they had thrown in flying armbars and **** it wouldn't have been as "exciting" as falling down two stories or breaking concrete blocks with low kicks etc etc. Maybe if he had done a flying armbar while falling down two stories and kicking concrete blocks in the air with his third leg.

First of all, if it's okay to sit around and talk about how good a fight scene is, it's okay to critique it.

Second of all, are you suggesting that all they do is fall down two story buildings and kick concrete blocks? Just as fight scenes contain punches and kicks they could contain ground work. Sure, something like a guard pass or a flower sweep isn't all that exciting in itself. However, one punch to the face, in reality, without the film technique, isn't all that flashy or exciting either. A long chain of flashy BJJ moves (of which there are more than just arm bars), executed at an unrealistic speed, could be just as exciting as stand up attacks at the same speed.

Quote:
It's not like anyone actually fights the way people do in HK kung fu movies either (or like in the first clip for that matter) but it makes it fun to watch ...

Of course they don't. Or, as I said earlier:

Quote:
I'm not saying the fight should have realistic pace and length as two BJJ experts rolling--it's a movie, obviously it's supposed to be fast.

Quote:
my point is that it's never been expected that fights of any kind in a movie will be 'realistic' or 'true to the art' or whatever because (warning, marketing speech incoming) that won't deliver the kind of value most viewers are looking for (which is cheap flashy exciting violence)

This was not a case of, "We did this because it was more exciting and flashy." It was a case of, "We did this because we didn't know what the hell we were doing when it hit the ground." It had nothing at all to do with making the film more exciting.

↑ Up to the top!