Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Well crap
Well crap
2009-08-09, 7:35 AM #1
So it seems like my computer has malfunctioned for the last time. All of a sudden it got slower and every window flashed when I tried to do something in them. And for some reason I was unable to access my antivirus program... Hm. So of course after one reboot the same problem existed except all my mouse cursors were effed up (hmm!).

So then I rebooted in Safe Mode and started backing some things up. And it worked pretty well for a while but then some randomly colored particles started filling up the screen and they didn't go away when I rebooted. So basically now my computer looks like a red Matrix with flashing stuff but with some patience I can actually continue backing things up.

Now this was probably a virus (wow, the first time I was attacked since 1999) or BIOS went mad or something, I guess I've ruled out hard drive problems because I can back things up properly... but I actually haven't checked the stuff I backed up so I don't actually know.

So first of all, any tips on how I could solve this problem or even get rid of the flashy particles?

And second of all, what's considered a proper CPU that (could actually last quite long) these days? And what about nVidia cards?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-09, 7:45 AM #2
It's probably your video card overheating or dying.
2009-08-09, 7:49 AM #3
Okay, I tested the other external HD on which I backed some stuff up earlier today. Seems to work fine.

My comp has transferring files rather fine a while ago but now the screen went blank bu the computer's lights are flshing so I'm assuming files are being transferred...

... but could the graphics card dying really cause all those problems where I can't even open other programs?
2009-08-09, 10:23 AM #4
... yes.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-09, 10:58 AM #5
My first thought was the vid card also.

When was the last time you cleaned all the dust bunnies out?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-09, 11:04 AM #6
Last week. Ever since my previous graphics card died of overheating in 2007 I started vacuuming my computer every week.

... So of course history decided to repeat itself and this card decided to crap out on me as well. *sigh* Thanks for your help!

I'll return to this new computer business when TODOA is finished.
2009-08-09, 2:27 PM #7
yeah, sounds video card-ish to me too. (and I've had personal experience with that stuff crapping out). If you happen to have another computer or a spare video card, try swapping out and see if the problem goes away.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!