Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Replacing PC with Laptop. Suggestions Please
Replacing PC with Laptop. Suggestions Please
2009-08-10, 6:29 PM #1
So I just moved again, and while packing realized once again how much I hate my PCs. They're big, loud, hot, suck power, are full of wires and components to upgrade, and aren't really worth it to me anymore.

I have this gaming PC which used to be a screaming ATI 4850 monster. Problem is, I haven't actually gamed in nearly a year, so it's largely dead weight. [And Diablo 3 will happen god only knows when so I'm not holding my breath].

For shlepping around with me, I've got an ASUS 1000H netbook which I love with all my heart, but he doesn't have a very big screen or a hoss-like CPU.

So I'm hoping to find sommat that is a sort of compromise. More power, more screen, but still laptop-sized and not bound up with a dozen assorted cables. Looking for something relatively recent, but don't want to spend much more than 800 bucks or so on it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2009-08-10, 6:48 PM #2
Thinkpad T400 or T500

Macbook Pro

If something smaller, Thinkpad X200
一个大西瓜
2009-08-10, 6:53 PM #3
I'd say a MacBook Pro but that's out of your price range unless you can find an older one on eBay.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-10, 7:07 PM #4
I know lots of folks who swear by Thinkpads, but I work for IBM [who have an exclusive contract with Lenovo] and have never been impressed with any of the ones I've used. The design always feels cheap and flimsy, and the touchpad/pointer nub are constantly getting in the way unless I'm using a usb keyboard.

Macbook Pro could be tempting though.
2009-08-11, 12:04 AM #5
If you don't mind me asking, which models did you get to try out?
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-11, 12:11 AM #6
p-p-p-powerbook!
woot!
2009-08-11, 1:49 PM #7
Originally posted by silent_killa:
If you don't mind me asking, which models did you get to try out?

T40, T60 and T61. But they all have the same trash chassis and keyboard as the T400 or X200.
2009-08-11, 5:12 PM #8
Dormouse!! We missd j00!

Is that all we are good for; advice? :argh:
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2009-08-11, 5:57 PM #9
Try some of the X series thinkpads, like the X61. They can be found pretty cheap on ebay.

Generally, though, all laptops feel "cheap". Even thinkpads, though to a lesser degree.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-08-11, 7:46 PM #10
Not MacBooks, GBK. Aluminum solid case never feels cheap :p
2009-08-12, 1:14 PM #11
Originally posted by lightside:
Dormouse!! We missd j00!

Is that all we are good for; advice? :argh:

Yes :P :gbk:
2009-08-12, 1:16 PM #12
Originally posted by gbk:
Try some of the X series thinkpads, like the X61. They can be found pretty cheap on ebay.

Generally, though, all laptops feel "cheap". Even thinkpads, though to a lesser degree.

Hm, I'll check those out, thanks.

The Asus eee I have feels pretty solid actually for how light it is. My Thinkpad on the other hand the plastic bends and squishes any time I move it around.

↑ Up to the top!