Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Roommate issues
Roommate issues
2009-08-10, 11:51 PM #1
[EDIT]Kind of a long read, please don't just respond with tldr[/EDIT]
Backstory:

My current roommate invited me to come live with him a few months ago because he and his girlfriend (who lived with him previously) broke up and he had an entire house to himself and was struggling with bills, but mostly because he was getting depressed being alone all the time.

About a month after I moved in, he found a new girlfriend and spends all his free time with her only coming to the house to let his dogs out or pick up/drop off laundry. So for the past 2 months I have been basically living in a house alone; not that bad of a deal in my opinion, but the house is constantly a mess, dirty dishes are piled up in the sink (none of which are mine since I stopped eating here once I found the cockroaches living under our cabinets two months ago) and dirty laundry strewn about the house. Even if I take a day to clean it, the clean lasts about 48 hours, then it's right back to what it was before, so i stopped wasting the effort. I've slowly been getting more depressed and stressed out because of the constant grossness in the whole house and I can't do anything about it, it's gotten so bad that I've not been able to sleep more than a few hours a night or usually not at all.

A little over a month ago he invited another guy to come live with us because in order for his girlfriend to move into another house, this guy had to leave (he was mooching the last bedroom because he was dating someone else that lived there). He invited this guy to live with us without asking me and when he told me about it, he said it was so this guy could take over our lease so we could find a better place to live and move there right away. I told him that I didn't like this guy because my best friend used to live with him in an apartment a year ago and he was a mooch and a liar. I asked him that if this had nothing to do with his girlfriend, would he still want this guy to life with us..... he said no. I told him I would wait a month and if we didn't find anything, I was going to find an apartment on my own (or move back with my parents until I found a place) and he agreed with it.

Now:

It's about a week from the day I said I would leave on my own; my roommate gave up on finding another place a while ago (I've kept looking, but he has 2 dogs and he won't give them up or leave them at his parents, so that really limits the availability of where we can look).

I've possibly found an apartment that I can easily afford on my own and I have a few other friends that live in the same complex, I'm going up to talk with the owners tomorrow, but I've begun packing some of my things now so that if get accepted into this apartment I can move there nearly right away, and if not, I can move back with my parents until I find a place.

Now he's pissed off at me because I'm packing some of my stuff. He said that now he's left with a roommate that's unreliable and accused me of not even trying to find another place to live. The last thing I said to him as I walked back into my room after the argument was "I'm not going to be unhappy anymore." [EDIT]He spent the next half hour slamming doors and throwing things around in the living room until he went to bed about 45 minutes ago.[/EDIT]

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in this. I gave him the time to find another place for us to live and he stopped looking after the first week. He had told me that if I found a place to live, there would be no hard feelings if I moved there, and now he pissed off at me for finding a place.

Am I looking at this in the wrong way? Am I being unreasonable in this? Is his anger justified?
2009-08-10, 11:55 PM #2
Sounds like your living conditions are terrible and nobody else cares about living in a dump. I'd GTFO too!
woot!
2009-08-10, 11:56 PM #3
However biased my perspective, you're in the right and it sounds like he needs to cut his losses and run too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-10, 11:56 PM #4
not at all, i think the guys being a little ***** because hes going to be stuck with the mooch.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-08-11, 12:52 AM #5
Definitely leave.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-11, 1:13 AM #6
you're an *******
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-08-11, 2:16 AM #7
yeah, seems pretty dumb to me. This is why you don't get involved with living with girlfriends and stuff. It gets nasty sometimes.

And, TAKE THAT APARTMENT. If you have the means to live by yourself, do it. It is SOOOOOOOO much better than having a roommate. My very last house before I joined the Navy I lived by myself (except for my cat) and while I did get lonely sometimes, it's awesome not having to clean up after people, and not having to wait for the bathroom, or deal with people's drama. Even though I could barely afford it, it was the happiest time for me of my life as far as living conditions were concerned (un until I got married of course).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-11, 4:33 AM #8
Seems quite a few people around here are starting to hate the people they live with. But yeah, get out of there as soon as you can. The fact that he wasn't pitching in with the cleaning would've been reason enough for me to take some kind of action.
2009-08-11, 4:53 AM #9
For forgiveness, you should snatch a few of those pet cockroaches, tie a colorful bow around them, put them in a jar, tie a colorful bow around the jar, and place them under his pillow.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-11, 7:51 AM #10
Originally posted by Avenger:
Definitely leave.

My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-11, 8:17 AM #11
i thought the name of this thread was roommate jesus.

i would get out too. you looked for a place, but the other guy is unwilling to part with his dogs so theres not much you can do.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-08-11, 10:06 AM #12
Leave!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-11, 10:21 AM #13
Get out. Now. If your friend was such a good friend, he wouldn't leave you to take care of the hell hole all the time.

I had an apt by myself for a long time and loved it. The landlord took good care of me too.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-11, 10:25 AM #14
Honestly, there is simply nothing that quite matches living by one's self. I lived for two years with assigned roommates in a rented house. It was hell and while it costed so much less, I was miserable.

I then lived for 5 years in a small apartment and while I felt somewhat cramped and did not have the room or luxury I had at the other place, only having to deal with myself, cleaning after myself, was simply a god send. I now recently moved into a much larger apartment (1600 square feet) on my own and while its costly, its feels like a heavenly palace. And while the solitude can be aggravating from time to time, its a sacrifice I'm willing to make, and its also easily fixed by inviting friends over. Of course now that I have a girlfriend coming over all the time, I tend to feel like I'm not alone often enough :P
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-11, 12:28 PM #15
burn it with fire
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-08-11, 8:10 PM #16
go JEP!

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-12, 6:37 AM #17
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
go JEP!

agreed, alone is perfection
2009-08-12, 9:13 AM #18
Sounds like the guy is just pissed off that you've managed to move on with your life and find a place to live, while he sat on his *** and did nothing. I wouldn't even worry about it, LOL at him, and continue your progress of moving on. You aren't in the wrong.
2009-08-12, 4:39 PM #19
Would have left after I found the cockroach infestation.
2009-08-12, 7:58 PM #20
i agree with the above two posts, whole-heartedly.

↑ Up to the top!