Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gamespy
Gamespy
2009-08-11, 12:46 PM #1
Ok, this is a real gem.

As some might or might not know, Gamespy has recently lost a large portion of their veteran staff and have since been reimagining their website and content.

Many have noted the terribly quality of their recent reviews, and the overall focus of the website on lackluster humor instead of what it used to do best : gaming news and reviews.

This preview however, is just flat out ridiculous, read asinine.

This probably wont interest many people, but I just had to talk about it. I find it so ludicrous that they would assign someone not interested in the game's genre to review it. Honestly, were I the gamespy owner, I'd like fire both him for the spiteful review and the guy who assigned him to the job. :P
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-11, 12:58 PM #2
I thought GameSpy wasn't considered quality since like 2001 or so.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-11, 1:15 PM #3
That review actually intrigued me to check it out
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-11, 1:16 PM #4
it's a preview.
2009-08-11, 1:29 PM #5
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I thought GameSpy wasn't considered quality since like 2001 or so.

I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-11, 1:35 PM #6
Oh no someone on the Internet disagrees with you!

Looks like a pretty ****ty game by all accounts. Guy told me what I would want to know about it : It's dense and unforgiving. Games should be fun from the first moment to the last, and this does not look fun.
2009-08-11, 1:49 PM #7
Some people like a challenge
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-11, 2:08 PM #8
I actually forgot that Gamespy existed until now.

And I actually agree with JM. Now where's my soap, I feel filthy.
nope.
2009-08-11, 2:22 PM #9
I think you should keep in mind the niche market that OFP, ArmA, ArmA2, and apparently OFP2 are aimed at.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-08-11, 2:25 PM #10
Can you not make 4 useless tags every time you make a post?
2009-08-11, 2:34 PM #11
im on a boat
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-11, 2:45 PM #12
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
im on a boat

:carl:
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-11, 3:07 PM #13
Originally posted by Vin:
Can you not make 4 useless tags every time you make a post?

How amusing. You spend time moderating thread tags (face it, its a useless feature on massassi from the get go) but when people act like *******s to others and some measures should be taken, you're all but invisible. That goes to the majority of mods and admins for that matter.
2009-08-11, 3:15 PM #14
Where are people being *******s?
2009-08-11, 4:29 PM #15
Well I'll give you that, what I did look up you did warn the people. So I retract my words and apologize for it. However, I do still think moderating tags is useless and silly.
2009-08-11, 4:35 PM #16
But it's fun. :(
2009-08-11, 5:21 PM #17
Originally posted by Jep:
How amusing. You spend time moderating thread tags (face it, its a useless feature on massassi from the get go) but when people act like *******s to others and some measures should be taken, you're all but invisible. That goes to the majority of mods and admins for that matter.

The thing is, it is more bothersome to see people acting annoying or offensive when it is easily viewable while browsing for threads. So being a dick with thread titles openly and inappropriately announces such a fact. When people post like repulsive bastards in a thread, at least it's all quarantined in one or two webpages.

Think of it like a box of chocolates. At first glance, you wouldn't tell if a regular piece of candy is poisoned by someone who is an ***hole. But you would definitely take notice if one is purposely shaped like a dick.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-11, 5:23 PM #18
No, we aren't talking about titles, we're talking about tags. Look above the quick reply thing. Certain people like to tag "mb is fat" or "i'm jepman" on every thread...
2009-08-11, 5:28 PM #19
While on the subject of Gamespy, gaming journalism = lol. Strong personal bias is often the rampant tumor on the average video game critic. Now combine that with the inability to write guuuud. But to be fair, you aren't writing for a high-brow audience, and it's quite tempting to accept some sort of "bonus" from game publishers, so....
2009-08-11, 5:30 PM #20
Originally posted by Vin:
No, we aren't talking about titles, we're talking about tags. Look above the quick reply thing. Certain people like to tag "mb is fat" or "i'm jepman" on every thread...

Those things on the bottom of page? Seriously, people care about those?

I thought Jep gave himself one of those [tags].

If that's the case, good luck trying to save a ship that's already underwater.
2009-08-11, 5:35 PM #21
Every once in a while I get bored and tag everything on the main page. :)
2009-08-11, 5:40 PM #22
Someone give Vin a new hobby! Please
2009-08-11, 5:43 PM #23
I'm tending my virtual facebook restaurant in one tab and cruising for cute boys in another. I have plenty of awesome hobbies and things to do.

:(
2009-08-11, 6:10 PM #24
Quote:
I think you should keep in mind the niche market that OFP, ArmA, ArmA2, and apparently OFP2 are aimed at.

People who don't like having fun?
2009-08-11, 9:03 PM #25
Originally posted by JM:
People who don't like having fun?

Actually, yes, that is exactly it...or rather a different definition of fun to the rest of the world...

They ENJOY hiking over a dozen kilometers of NOTHING and waiting for the better part of an hour to snipe a target except they probably miss and spend the next hour trying to not die the dozens of enemy units hunting you or alternatively staring in disbelief at the "You Are Dead" screen because a vehicle mounted HMG with nothing but iron sights managed to put a round through their skull at 2km within five shots.

Yes, they enjoy this.

This is also the reason why giving it to someone who probably hasn't played anything other than Halo or CoD for a review/preview is retarded for the same reason that giving them a copy of Steel Beasts, Silent Hunter, or a very detailed flight sim that requires you to physically press buttons on in the 3d cockpit with your mouse for a review/preview is retarded.

You see, a page of "IT'S HARD AND I DON'T LIKE IT BAAW" is not a very good preview especially since that's basically par for the course as far as Flashpoint 1 and ArmA is concerned and thus tells people who actually care about it basically nothing other than that they seem to be on the right track.

tl;dr - It's not very informative.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-08-11, 9:07 PM #26
Do you guys like the time when Echoman said "repulsive bastards" as much as I do? I doubt it.
2009-08-11, 10:39 PM #27
I don't get you guys, it's not meant as a game for the general game playing public, it's for the crazy realism freak demographic. You aren't going to and aren't supposed to like it. Which is what's wrong with the preview, let someone who DOES like these games to do it, not John Doesn'tgivea****.
2009-08-12, 2:13 AM #28
Why? Then normal people reading the article might think it's a good game.
2009-08-12, 5:36 AM #29
Quote:
I don't get you guys, it's not meant as a game for the general game playing public, it's for the crazy realism freak demographic. You aren't going to and aren't supposed to like it. Which is what's wrong with the preview, let someone who DOES like these games to do it, not John Doesn'tgivea****.

But the article IS meant for the general game playing public. And he just saved a lot of them some money.
2009-08-12, 5:50 AM #30
Previews should be offered from a neutral standpoint, laying out the features and even flaws objectively. Not from a fanboy or a hater. Some people might enjoy the long walks and the challenge. Example, the majority of critics disliked the travelling and downtime in Far Cry 2. I find its one of its winning points. The author of the article spent most of his time rambling about how this was not his type of games, how we thought he was an idiot, how he liked this game and that, and was used to this and that.

While their job is not trying to sell the game, they are supposed to hold up to some minuscule degree of professionalism if they want people to take their word seriously. This guy sounded like a Halo/CoD tea-bagging fanboy.

Look at gamespot or ign's previews. They don't praise the game. They offer their opinion objectively, layout the features which really the purpose of a preview. Gamespy took that preview to an all too personal, biased level.
2009-08-12, 6:15 AM #31
looool anyone remember gamespy arcade?
2009-08-12, 7:27 AM #32
I've never liked gamespy...never.

↑ Up to the top!