Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Home (film)
Home (film)
2009-08-12, 2:56 PM #1
Has anyone seen Home? It's a feature-length documentary (directed by Yann Arthus-Bertrand and produced by Luc Besson) about the history of our species on the planet comprised entirely of jaw-dropping unbelievable aerial photos of pretty much the entire world. It was released in theaters, on DVD and on YouTube at the same time and is non for profit.

Well if you haven't, watch it now: (go to the youtube page because the embedded player doesn't work apparently)

There's a legal HD torrent out there which is worth downloading and projecting on a big ****ing wall with a good sound system.

Oh, and if this is oldnewz, so what, I don't care.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2009-08-12, 3:46 PM #2
copyright restrictions already huh? (for my country apparently)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-12, 3:47 PM #3
Your video doesn't work so I'm posting something more fun.

2009-08-12, 10:09 PM #4
Actually, there's no copyright on the film. It's free to copy and distribute. Apparently youtube doesn't allow it to be watched embedded.

And you're seriously missing out if you don't check this out.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2009-08-12, 10:11 PM #5
I watched it. It's pretty good. :)
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-14, 9:38 AM #6
I was going to ask for a link to the torrent but it was easy to find. I'm not interested in its agenda but breathtaking scenery is always worthy of a look.

Thanks for the heads up.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-16, 9:29 AM #7
So, I downloaded the "HD MP4" file and just finished watching it.

First, I believe the torrent I linked to is the HD torrent he was referring to but it is certainly not HD. The file clocks in at just over 1 GB and the film is about an hour and a half. Some pixelation is noticeable in certain scenes but nothing too distracting. Still comes across as virtually DVD quality in most regards.

Second, pretty much awesome scenery throughout the film. Most of it is aerial and it's all pretty good quality. It starts out with grand, majestic areas but the whole movie is not like that. There are some scenes that get much, much closer to the subject so if you're put off by what looks like it will be an artsy production throughout it isn't. It switches things up enough that you don't get bored with the visuals.

The music is kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it really adds to the mood but other times your wish you could slap the ***** and tell her to stop wailing. At least I did.

The naration is also hit or miss. If you agree with the agenda then you probably won't mind. If you have alternate theories to whichever one she is basically presenting as fact at the time, then you might get annoyed. If you are really tired of the whole "we have to act now or everything is going to die" schtick, then you will be annoyed.

I also want to add that this whole thing seems like one of those projects where a bunch of companies basically just throw some money at something "green" so they can say, "hey, we're on your side, go bug exxon!"

Overall, I recommend the download. Even if you don't agree with the agenda it has some spectacular views and I could picture having it play in the background, muted, on a television during a get together or something.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-16, 10:23 AM #8
The only thing that irritated me about the whole thing was the narrator's scientific misnomers. Particularly early on, when she's attempting to explain the Earth's atmosphere. One moment, she claims that its atmosphere was devoid of oxygen, yet in the next sentence says that instead it was filled with water vapor. :huh: I'm also not a fan of her calling every damned thing alive an element in a scientific sense.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!