Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → agh now I want a new car stereo!
agh now I want a new car stereo!
2009-08-15, 3:37 AM #41
The WS6 stock exhaust has a nice note to it. The urge for more noise is so "tweenybopper". Considering that it's a daily driver (when I'm not gone a year at a time) I haven't cared enough to modify much. Someday, I may pick up another as a project. There are some definite things I could see doing to a car like mine when my house is paid off.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-15, 6:57 AM #42
Originally posted by Wookie06:
The WS6 stock exhaust has a nice note to it. The urge for more noise is so "tweenybopper". Considering that it's a daily driver (when I'm not gone a year at a time) I haven't cared enough to modify much. Someday, I may pick up another as a project. There are some definite things I could see doing to a car like mine when my house is paid off.

Isn't the "tween" range younger than 13yo? :confused:
woot!
2009-08-15, 7:20 AM #43
The urge for more noise is so "tweenybopper".

are you kidding me? I see more old guys with loud exhaust on their domestic than I do mexican's with an exhaust on a civic
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-15, 7:27 AM #44
Originally posted by zanardi:
are you kidding me? I see more old guys with loud exhaust on their domestic than I do mexican's with an exhaust on a civic

Or old guys with gutted pipes on their Harleys...
woot!
2009-08-15, 8:20 AM #45
Originally posted by JLee:
Isn't the "tween" range younger than 13yo? :confused:

"Tweens" are late teens early twenties. Teenyboopers are your 13ish year olds.

And, yes, you also see older men with them as well. That doesn't make it not immature, "hey, look at me", behaviour. Generally speaking, of course.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-15, 8:59 AM #46
Or old guys with gutted pipes on their Harleys...

They are loud stock, for "safety reasons"
2009-08-15, 9:00 AM #47

And, yes, you also see older men with them as well. That doesn't make it not immature, "hey, look at me", behaviour. Generally speaking, of course.

If you think loud exhausts are immature than you shouldn't even be driving what you are driving.

I understand the whole stock exhaust for a daily driver, yes I like to hear myself think when I drive too, but only would an immature person get an exhaust to be like "look at me". Everyone else, that actually appreciates, respects, and lives for cars doesn't.
2009-08-15, 9:21 AM #48
If you think loud exhausts are immature than you shouldn't even be driving what you are driving.

I understand the whole stock exhaust for a daily driver, yes I like to hear myself think when I drive too, but only would an immature person get an exhaust to be like "look at me". Everyone else, that actually appreciates, respects, and lives for cars doesn't.

I like a nice, agressive sound to exhausts but some people inappropriately carry it too far. I've seen a lot of guys driving recent model GTOs, for example, with horribly loud, raspy exhausts. Not only does it NOT sound good but it does not suit the "sleeper" appearance of the car.

Remember, though, I did say generally speaking. My 79 Trans Am will certainly not have a stock exhaust when I finish it but, at the same time, I don't intend to put one on it that causes women and small children to cry and run away. I simply don't feel the urge to have everyone look at me when I drive through the neighborhood because I have some horribly obnoxious exhaust system installed.

2009-08-15, 9:51 AM #49
You honestly think you can drive a $300 set of components off a $100 head unit's onboard amp just as well as a standalone amp?

Not "as well" but "good enough." These days it's easy to fit a high quality amp on a chip. There is nothing mysterious about amplifier design at all. And what does price have to do with it? You should be more concerned about electrical characteristics: i.e. things that matter.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-15, 10:29 AM #50
I like a nice, agressive sound to exhausts but some people inappropriately carry it too far. I've seen a lot of guys driving recent model GTOs, for example, with horribly loud, raspy exhausts. Not only does it NOT sound good but it does not suit the "sleeper" appearance of the car.

Remember, though, I did say generally speaking. My 79 Trans Am will certainly not have a stock exhaust when I finish it but, at the same time, I don't intend to put one on it that causes women and small children to cry and run away. I simply don't feel the urge to have everyone look at me when I drive through the neighborhood because I have some horribly obnoxious exhaust system installed.

Such exhausts attract the wrong kind of attention. "Fart cans" increase your chances of being pulled over 3 fold.

This is what I want to put on my tC. I've heard sound clips of it, and it does not sound obnoxously loud.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-15, 10:44 AM #51
Quote:

That is probably the stupidest thing I have read on here in awhile. Rivaling a SF_Gold post.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-15, 11:03 AM #52
I'm guessing you don't really know what regard most of the members here hold you in. At least if I know them as well as I think.

2009-08-15, 11:07 AM #53
I couldn't give a **** about the sound of a car, I'd be more concerned with, you know, actual performance.
2009-08-15, 11:11 AM #54
Depending on how you define performance, the sound could be a factor. I guess it's kinda like a nice paint job or running lights or something. Not necessary by any means, but pretty.
(I personally like a deep rumble, but not overly loud.)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-15, 11:19 AM #55
I define performance as actual, physical characteristics of the car, not psychological.
2009-08-15, 11:26 AM #56
Originally posted by Emon:
I define performance as actual, physical characteristics of the car, not psychological.

I'm sure you know that exhaust upgrades can improve the performance of vehicles. And I don't really care if someone simply wants to "improve" the sound of their car. Personally, though, I find a muffler "upgrade" pointless unless it is but one piece of a system upgrade since changing a muffler alone does nothing to improve performance in a contemperary vehicle.

2009-08-15, 11:28 AM #57
Of course exhaust can improve performance, though sometimes I question how much.
2009-08-15, 12:03 PM #58
Originally posted by Emon:
Of course exhaust can improve performance, though sometimes I question how much.

Yeah, I think it is usually hyped.

I an considering some induction changes, limited to forward of the intake, that are supposed to make some improvements. Really, all I'm interested in is smoothing out the airflow. I hoping that doing so might result in a snappier throttle response and improved fuel economy. To be honest, I don't expect much but I would like to take the system that is in place and make it more effecient.

2009-08-15, 3:18 PM #59
I'm guessing you don't really know what regard most of the members here hold you in. At least if I know them as well as I think.

Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ***. And I wouldn't kid yourself, your not much higher on the totem pole bud.

Your statement was just profoundly ignorant.

and for the record I was implying an entire system not just a catback system. I figured since you own a sports car you'd actually know what I meant but I guess not.

Also, unless we are talking about turbocharged applications, modified exhaust is almost always beneficial in increasing the performance of a car. Increased airflow = more power. Thats just an undeniable fact for naturally aspirated, gasoline powered engines. I'm not talking gains of 20-30 hp, but you will however notice your engine running smoother. Also you don't need to run SLP loudmouths just because you want exhaust. There are plenty of options that sound tame until you rev above the 3500 mark. I own such a system. Perfect for daily driving, and for the track all in one.

Obviously not everyone knows their cars around here :downs:
-Martyn
2009-08-15, 5:00 PM #60

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tween

–noun
2. Also, tween, tweeny. a youngster between 10 and 12 years of age, considered too old to be a child and too young to be a teenager.

tween (twēn)
n. A child between middle childhood and adolesence, usually between 8 and 12 years old.

They are loud stock, for "safety reasons"

uh no.

Originally posted by Onimusha:
Also, unless we are talking about turbocharged applications, modified exhaust is almost always beneficial in increasing the performance of a car.

:confused:

Turbocharged engines like to breathe - better exhaust will give you more power. That's how it works on MR2s anyway.
woot!
2009-08-15, 6:46 PM #61
Increased airflow = more power.

Yes, but it's a question of if the exhaust change can provide more airflow. It may not be a bottleneck. I don't have any real data on this, I don't know much about fluid dynamics but my point is simply that assuming more open = more power isn't necessarily true.
2009-08-15, 7:03 PM #62
Quote:
Turbocharged engines like to breathe - better exhaust will give you more power. That's how it works on MR2s anyway.

Backpressure. You want some of that exhaust recycled, thats where your boost is coming from.

Quote:
Yes, but it's a question of if the exhaust change can provide more airflow. It may not be a bottleneck. I don't have any real data on this, I don't know much about fluid dynamics but my point is simply that assuming more open = more power isn't necessarily true.

Considering that exhaust is spent fuel containing no oxygen for the ignition process, what purpose would it serve to remain in the engine longer then needed? The quicker you remove carbon monoxide, the better your engine will run.
-Martyn
2009-08-15, 7:06 PM #63
Yes but, what I mean is, there's a certain point where opening the exhaust more won't help. I dunno what that is and I don't doubt many stock exhausts are somehow insufficient, but the notion that a bigger exhaust equals more power can't always be true.
2009-08-15, 7:32 PM #64
Oh your right there, if you run straight pipes or open headers you will most definitely burn a valve.
-Martyn
2009-08-15, 7:37 PM #65
Backpressure. You want some of that exhaust recycled, thats where your boost is coming from.

The turbocharger is essentially bolted up to the exhaust manifold, prior to all the exhaust piping. The freer the exhaust flow, the happier the turbocharger is. You can run with an open downpipe if you want...though it'll be loud as hell. :)
woot!
2009-08-15, 8:30 PM #66

Uh no. Backpressure = reduced performace. Backpressure means you have exhaust gasses during compression/ignition. This means less O2 in the cylinder and less performance. You want a much exhaust gasses out as possible.

Boost does NOT come from backpressure. Boost comes from the fact that the turbocharger is forcing air into the intake manifold at higher than atmospheric pressures. That's why it's called boost. That boost gauge you have is telling you how much pressure the turbocharger is feeding into the engine. Proper tuning on your turbocharger will allow you to have the correct boost so that you are not running too lean or rich.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-16, 3:24 AM #67
Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ***. And I wouldn't kid yourself, your not much higher on the totem pole bud.

The difference is that pretty much all the people that rag on me can at least remember how I used to post here. Mostly they just bag on me to get under my skin. You've always been, well, you. But I concur, I really don't care what regard I'm held in here. As Rob would say, this is internet.

Your statement was just profoundly ignorant.

Stating my opinions that my exhaust sounds fine as it is? Or that I would prefer to leave my daily driver stock? Or was it that when I am totally debt free I could see picking up another project car with plans to modify it? Since no sane person here would say my personal lifestyle preferences with regards to modifying my exhaust is ignorant it must be that I feel modifying a vehicle simple to make more noise is a tweenybopper thing to do. Or it is that my definition of tweenybopper is different than what I suppose they have it mean now? I disagree with the current definition. Tweenyboppers rewrote it.

and for the record I was implying an entire system not just a catback system. I figured since you own a sports car you'd actually know what I meant but I guess not.

Sorry that I don't infer an entire exhaust system from "set of flowmasters". To me that sounds like a pair of mufflers. Personally, I wouldn't even consider exhaust modifications to my car unless they included long tube headers, high flow cats, an x pipe, and nice flowing but subtle sounding mufflers. Of course, to take advantage of the increased flow you need to then turn your attention to the intake side and then to the camshaft. Then it's off to reprogram the computer. All of these modifications will produce more power and probably better fuel economy but, to me, it is not worth the down time and reliability concerns because I drive the car everyday.

Putting a "set of flowmasters" (mufflers, cat back, whatever) pretty much only accomplishes changing the sound of the car. I would take a systematic approach to improve the performance and anything less is half-assed.

Obviously not everyone knows their cars around here :downs:

Clearly.

2009-08-16, 3:30 AM #68
Originally posted by dalf:
Uh no. Backpressure = reduced performace. Backpressure means you have exhaust gasses during compression/ignition. This means less O2 in the cylinder and less performance. You want a much exhaust gasses out as possible.

Theorhetically but not always in practice. For example on my car, large diameter exhaust pipes cause a decrease in performance. I forget the number, I think above 3.5" or something like that.

Modern cars are tricky because all sorts of strange things have to be done with modern emmissions components in order to achieve the power levels that were fairly easy accomplished with normal means forty years ago.

2009-08-16, 5:25 AM #69
Or it is that my definition of tweenybopper is different than what I suppose they have it mean now? I disagree with the current definition. Tweenyboppers rewrote it.

I don't recall getting in too many disagreements with you..but seriously? That's about as pathetic an excuse as I could think of. A Lord of the Rings reference does not constitute a valid definition, as people are not hobbits. :P

Theorhetically but not always in practice. For example on my car, large diameter exhaust pipes cause a decrease in performance. I forget the number, I think above 3.5" or something like that.

Modern cars are tricky because all sorts of strange things have to be done with modern emmissions components in order to achieve the power levels that were fairly easy accomplished with normal means forty years ago.

It was my impression that he was referring to a turbocharged application, in which case he is entirely correct. ;)
woot!
2009-08-16, 5:41 AM #70
I don't recall getting in too many disagreements with you..but seriously? That's about as pathetic an excuse as I could think of. A Lord of the Rings reference does not constitute a valid definition, as people are not hobbits. :P

All I know is that growing up, which I did earlier than most here, it was always "teenybopper". To be perfectly honest, I had never even heard of "tweenybopper" so when I used it I was essentially coining it to refer to twenty somethings that are still basically teenagers based on their immature actions. Unbeknownst to me, the phrase now seems to actually be "tweenybopper".

I guess I should have said "tweenagers". I have a hard time keeping up with pop culture.

It was my impression that he was referring to a turbocharged application, in which case he is entirely correct. ;)

Yeah, in that context you and he are absolutely right. I think it was still worth pointing out, though, since it is a common misconception in general.

2009-08-16, 5:58 AM #71
All I know is that growing up, which I did earlier than most here, it was always "teenybopper". To be perfectly honest, I had never even heard of "tweenybopper" so when I used it I was essentially coining it to refer to twenty somethings that are still basically teenagers based on their immature actions. Unbeknownst to me, the phrase now seems to actually be "tweenybopper".

I guess I should have said "tweenagers". I have a hard time keeping up with pop culture.

Apparently the marketing industry grabbed that too. :P

I've heard "teenybopper" and "tween" before, but "tweenager" and "tweenybopper" were new to me.
woot!
2009-08-16, 6:25 AM #72
Originally posted by dalf:
Boost does NOT come from backpressure. Boost comes from the fact that the turbocharger is forcing air into the intake manifold at higher than atmospheric pressures. That's why it's called boost. That boost gauge you have is telling you how much pressure the turbocharger is feeding into the engine. Proper tuning on your turbocharger will allow you to have the correct boost so that you are not running too lean or rich.

What are you, stupid? Boost is obviously when you hit the nitro button and your exhaust becomes violent blue FLAMES.

:downswords:
2009-08-16, 7:04 AM #73
Apparently the marketing industry grabbed that too. :P

I've heard "teenybopper" and "tween" before, but "tweenager" and "tweenybopper" were new to me.

Also, I didn't understand your comment about Lord of the Rings reference if you can elaborate.

2009-08-16, 11:59 AM #74
Quote:
Putting a "set of flowmasters" (mufflers, cat back, whatever) pretty much only accomplishes changing the sound of the car. I would take a systematic approach to improve the performance and anything less is half-assed.

Your preaching to the choir. I have a full system, heads, h-pipe, cats, pipes, cams, intake, etc on my own car. Also, if I wanted to imply a set of mufflers I would have said put some cherry bombs on it.

What I found ignorant was that you basically implied that anyone who modifies their exhaust is a teenager looking for attention to be cool. Clearly overlooking the performance gains to your vehicle by adding such a product. The fact that you wish to drive a stock car is fine, but the fact that you essentially view anyone who does not, a "tweenager" is blatently ignorant. Just because you do not enjoy your sportscar to its potential does not mean the rest of the world cannot.

As for the backpressure issue, that is about the only thing I can agree with wookie on. He typed what I was about to:

Quote:

-Martyn
2009-08-16, 12:07 PM #75
Also, I didn't understand your comment about Lord of the Rings reference if you can elaborate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preadolescence
Quote:
The term was previously used in J.R.R. Tolkien's 1954 novel The Lord of the Rings to refer to Hobbits in their twenties: "...tweens as Hobbits called the irresponsible twenties between childhood and the coming of age at thirty-three."[8] In this context, the word is a portmanteau of twenty and teen,
woot!
2009-08-16, 12:30 PM #76
Yeah but Hobbits age differently duh.
2009-08-16, 12:31 PM #77
Your preaching to the choir. I have a full system, heads, h-pipe, cats, pipes, cams, intake, etc on my own car. Also, if I wanted to imply a set of mufflers I would have said put some cherry bombs on it.

What I found ignorant was that you basically implied that anyone who modifies their exhaust is a teenager looking for attention to be cool. Clearly overlooking the performance gains to your vehicle by adding such a product. The fact that you wish to drive a stock car is fine, but the fact that you essentially view anyone who does not, a "tweenager" is blatently ignorant. Just because you do not enjoy your sportscar to its potential does not mean the rest of the world cannot.

I don't understand you. It seems that you just realized that our disagreement was actually due to a misunderstanding but then you demonstrate that you still completely misunderstood me and then call me ignorant for having an opinion that I actually don't have.

Let me make it clear, throwing a pair of mufflers on a car so it makes more noise is childish. Taking a systematic approach to improving the performance of a vehicle is not.

As for the backpressure issue, that is about the only thing I can agree with wookie on. He typed what I was about to:

Except you are wrong on the back pressure issue with regards to a turbo charged application. The less back pressure the more boost the turbo can generate. The increase in power is due to the increased volume of air moving through the intake to the cylinders. Back pressure on the back side of the turbo is going to impede this. Now it could be that back pressure becomes part of the equation to actually limit the boost and therefore prevent damage to the engine but I'm not really big into boosted setups so I don't have any specific knowledge of that.

My comments on back pressure were actually inappropriate in context with the discussion of turbos.

2009-08-16, 12:32 PM #78

Interesting. Seems like the word would have come about eventually, though.

2009-08-16, 12:50 PM #79
Now it could be that back pressure becomes part of the equation to actually limit the boost and therefore prevent damage to the engine but I'm not really big into boosted setups so I don't have any specific knowledge of that.

Nope- that's the wastegate's job. The less restriction there is on the exhaust side, the happier the turbocharger is.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!