Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jazz
Jazz
2009-08-17, 10:49 AM #1
I've decided I really like jazz and would like to get into it more. I don't know where to start though. Do you guys have recommendations?

I'm not posting this in the Music forums because, seriously, who goes there?

2009-08-17, 10:54 AM #2
What kind of jazz are you into?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-08-17, 11:00 AM #3
Originally posted by BombayZeus:
I'm not posting this in the Music forums because, seriously, who goes there?

Snobby people who like jazz?

(I jest, I jest..)
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-17, 11:13 AM #4
Originally posted by Tracer:
What kind of jazz are you into?

I wouldn't know :smith:

2009-08-17, 11:16 AM #5
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Jeff Tyzik
Thelonius Monk
The Philadelphia Experiment
Roy Hargrove
Roy Hargrove and the RH Factor
Chris Botti
Wynton Marsalis

That should be enough to start you off
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-17, 11:25 AM #6
[CENTER] BRUBECK [/CENTER]
2009-08-17, 12:02 PM #7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelonious_Monk_Quartet_with_John_Coltrane_at_Carnegie_Hall

This. You want this.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-17, 3:18 PM #8
I would suggest going to New Orleans and sitting in the park or walking around French Quarter.
2009-08-17, 3:31 PM #9
Saying you like jazz is saying that you like colors. There's different kinds of jazz, very different kinds. What were you listening to that made you decide you like it?

I like more of the smooth jazz, like the Rippingtons and the Yellowjackets, but I also like fusion.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-17, 3:43 PM #10
I was just listening to the jazz stations on last.fm. I really liked Dave Koz and New Directions.

2009-08-17, 4:16 PM #11
Originally posted by Vin:
I would suggest going to New Orleans and sitting in the park or walking around French Quarter.

Oh my God I should go back.

If you ever get into blues, then I can help you. Jazz is a sometimes music for me. Or always, if I'm in the Quarters.

Could you make the argument that Jazz, Bluegrass, and Blues sound better live, and unknown? When I really search my memories, I've had more fun listening to random music in bars, little tourist towns, and backyards than any major concert.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-17, 4:20 PM #12
5 black guys in the park with 2 tubas, 2 trombones, and a singer. Sitting on their bench, sipping their beers, playing kick-*** music.
2009-08-17, 4:43 PM #13
These guys are fun and jazz-ish.

"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-08-17, 4:44 PM #14
Wynton Marsalis is a douche.
2009-08-17, 4:49 PM #15
swing all the way baby

i like bossa novas as well, but I can't STAND elevator music jazz (I think they call it 'smooth' jazz nowadays). It just has no rhythm or feeling at all.
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-08-17, 7:06 PM #16
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1026763']Wynton Marsalis is a douche.

Says the raphead.

Explain.
-Martyn
2009-08-17, 11:21 PM #17
PM me your email and I can send you some samples that will give you a better idea of what kind of jazz you like and who to look at. Saying you like jazz is just like saying you like rock, theres a lot of different kinds of it.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-08-18, 7:02 PM #18
its all about swing/big band
2009-08-18, 9:21 PM #19
I'll toss another dollar in the swing / big band hat. If you find you're into the same thing, check out Squirrel Nut Zippers and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy for a couple of newer and more "relevant" acts.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-08-18, 9:57 PM #20
The soundtrack from the anime Blue Submarine No. 6 is excellent jazz. I would post a link on here but I think someone might whine about posting a free download site and ban me for another few days again.

galbadia hotel
-Martyn
2009-09-03, 8:49 AM #21
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Says the raphead.

Explain.

Is calling me that supposed to hurt my feelings?
Quote:
Critic Scott Yanow praises Marsalis's talent, but has questioned his "selective knowledge of jazz history considering post-1965 avant-garde playing to be outside of jazz and 1970s fusion to be barren."[5] Trumpeter Lester Bowie opined of Marsalis's traditionalism, "If you retread what's gone before, even if it sounds like jazz, it could be anathema to the spirit of jazz."[6] In his 1997 book Blue: The Murder of Jazz Eric Nisenson argues that Marsalis's focus on a narrow portion of jazz's past is stifling the music's growth and preventing any further innovation.[7]

Pierre Sprey, president of jazz record company Mapleshade Records, declares that "When Marsalis was nineteen, he was a fine jazz trumpeter ... But he was getting his tail beat off every night in Art Blakey's band. I don't think he could keep up. And finally he retreated to safe waters. He's a good classical trumpeter and thus he sees jazz as being a classical Music. He has no clue what's going on now."[8]

From nearly the beginning of Marsalis' career, he occasionally butted heads with trumpeter Miles Davis, one of the leading names in jazz since the '40s. In his autobiography[9] Davis expressed disapproval of the heavy promotion afforded Marsalis by Columbia Records' George Butler, citing it as a factor in his leaving the record label after four decades. Additionally, Davis described Marsalis as good trumpeter and "a nice young man, only confused" due to what Davis saw as his being over-praised by traditionalist jazz critics.

Quote:
Marsalis has also been criticized for his role in the Ken Burns documentary Jazz, which promoted a classicist view of jazz similar to the views of Marsalis himself. The documentary focused primarily on Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong among others, while failing to mention jazz artists from the period Marsalis views as barren.

The documentary also angered many with subjective statements, often from Marsalis, about the comparative complexity, popularity, and general worth of the music of a wide variety of artists.

As artistic director and co-producer of the project, Marsalis bore the brunt of the criticism of the nonetheless highly acclaimed series, which to many embodied the exclusive, classicist view of jazz for which Marsalis is known. Critic David Adler has suggested this production role was a clear conflict of interest with his high onscreen profile: "Wynton's coronation in the film is not merely biased. It is not just aesthetically grating. It is unethical, given his integral role in the making of the very film that is praising him to the heavens."[10]
2009-09-03, 9:46 AM #22
rapehead
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-09-03, 1:50 PM #23
Says the jazz guitarist.

Did I do it right?
nope.
2009-09-03, 4:54 PM #24
Ra-phead
2009-09-03, 4:56 PM #25
Dr Ray P. Head.
nope.
2009-09-03, 11:25 PM #26
Dizzy Gillespie
Think while it's still legal.
2009-09-04, 7:38 AM #27
and then I dizzied her gillespie ;)
2009-09-04, 1:07 PM #28
rogered her hammerstein
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-09-04, 1:42 PM #29
The Bad Plus
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.

↑ Up to the top!