Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need Suggestions
Need Suggestions
2009-08-17, 11:44 PM #1
Edit: I've got a bunch of free time and I want to improve on some things/ start getting into some things.

I've decided to learn Italian, and have acquired a copy of Rosetta Stone and Dantes Purgatory in Italian and English.

I've also decided to learn how to effectively sing and play guitar at the same time and have set off learning as many songs by Trevor Hall and Iron and Wine as I can.

I really want to become a songwriter, but I've never written a song before. I want to attempt to write a new song every day to try to get better.

I want to buy a record player as I've found a few albums I dig at this local hipster store.

I'm at my new apartment, which has an adequate gym thing so I'm trying to get into better shape.

I'm reading Plato's Dialogues, a lot more of the Bible, and Velocity by Dean Koontz.

SO what I'm really asking is do any massassians have advice or suggestions for any of these topics or have any more ideas for what I can be doing to occupy my time?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-08-17, 11:53 PM #2
Stop whining and trying to "live life to the fullest" or whatever other tripe people like to feed us and do something intelligent and useful.
2009-08-17, 11:56 PM #3
What would be intelligent and useful to do? haha This is part of what I'm asking.

Edit: I already have a part-time job and I'm a student, so don't say that.
2009-08-17, 11:59 PM #4
You're just looking for a distraction from your post-adolescent angst. Just keep having a part-time job and being a student and forget about what's her butt and other girl.

Posting on an internet forum is not trying to move on.

And it's pretty pathetic if you have "been heart broken twice within two months." Drama, anyone?
2009-08-18, 12:02 AM #5
Also, my favorite Bible text is I Thessalonians 4:11-12, because basically it says "STFU, mind your own business, get a job, and stop being a leech."
2009-08-18, 12:13 AM #6
So I take it you don't know anything about vinyls then?
2009-08-18, 12:18 AM #7
Not to give you **** but..

I seem to remember saying in that thread that you should stick it out beecause something like this was going to happen.

Either way, the heartbreak will last for a month or so, then you'll feel right as rain and be up for grabs. Female attention comes and goes, I wouldn't sweat it. Just do you for a month or so and then you'll probably meet someone worthwhile.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-18, 4:45 AM #8
John 11:35
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-18, 5:10 AM #9
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
didn't want to loose her

stopped reading here
Stuff
2009-08-18, 5:51 AM #10
I think you might want to reconsider doing all of that stuff, or at least the timeframes. I don't know much about writing songs, but I'm pretty certain it takes time and effort and if you're doing that every day whilst trying to learn a language you'll probably stress yourself out and stop both.

With that said, on the subject of singing and guitar playing, learn the Firefly theme! That'd be the first thing I'd try to learn if I was a semi-competent guitarist.
2009-08-18, 9:55 AM #11
Yea, Onimusha, as I said I didn't want to break up with her. I tried being honest and hoped we could work it out, but that happened.

As for everyone else, the point is I've got a bunch of free time and I'd like to use some of it to do things I'd like to improve on or get into. Stuff like working out will hopefully be long term.
2009-08-18, 10:04 AM #12
Man you guys suck.

What kind of songs do you want to write? Do you have any reason to learn Italian? I'd try to focus on future skills if you can.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-18, 1:43 PM #13
I feel like I've missed something here.
nope.
2009-08-18, 1:47 PM #14
Yeah what's going on
2009-08-18, 2:00 PM #15
Quote:
I'm reading Plato's Dialogues, a lot more of the Bible, and Velocity by Dean Koontz.

One of these does not belong.
2009-08-18, 2:04 PM #16
Plato's Dialogues aren't fiction? :v:
nope.
2009-08-18, 9:14 PM #17
Heh, religion books.
:smug:
2009-08-18, 9:53 PM #18
Quote:
Plato's Dialogues aren't fiction?

No. Koontz is way too dry!
2009-08-19, 5:15 PM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:
What kind of songs do you want to write? Do you have any reason to learn Italian? I'd try to focus on future skills if you can.

I don't have any stipulations about what kind of songs. I enjoy a lot of different genres of music, and I just want to be able to write something that I can call my own. I hope to be a musician and I'm even attending school to be a jazz guitarist, but I've never actually written a proper song with words and such.

As for the Italian, I took three years of Latin in high school and realized that I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Italian is the most similar language to latin, I'm planning a trip to Florence in the future, and I just think it's a beautiful language. I think it'd be pretty cool to be able to speak it when I visit Florence and eventually Milan and Rome.
2009-08-19, 7:15 PM #20
You should learn a useful language, like Mexican. Eventually, they're going to overrun the US, and everyone is going to speak Mexican.
2009-08-19, 7:17 PM #21
Make sure to read the lost dialogue of Plato, that's the best one.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-19, 7:49 PM #22
Don't bother trying to learn Italian, unless you're going to live there for an extended period of time. Languages aren't just objects you acquire and hang on to. You need to be immersed in the language to ever consider using it for speaking value and the longer you go without using it the more you will forget.

Also if you're reading Plato or the Bible without commentary you should probably quit that too.
:master::master::master:
2009-08-20, 7:12 AM #23
Ofcourse he could always learn italian and then write songs in it. :P
nope.
2009-08-20, 9:00 AM #24
Originally posted by stat:
Don't bother trying to learn Italian, unless you're going to live there for an extended period of time. Languages aren't just objects you acquire and hang on to. You need to be immersed in the language to ever consider using it for speaking value and the longer you go without using it the more you will forget.

More succinctly: use it or lose it.

It's very true too.

↑ Up to the top!