Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Avatar
2009-08-20, 8:27 AM #1
Teaser trailer came out today

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

This movie looks beautiful. Although a lot of the CGI (especially the Eye's) you can tell, but the art direction and design is astounding.
2009-08-20, 8:36 AM #2
I'm just being a negative nancy here, but the movie looks like very cheese-dick to me. The design of the film looks like every new MMORPG to come out in the past 10 years.
Think while it's still legal.
2009-08-20, 8:38 AM #3
Not to be mistaken with this.

"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-20, 9:01 AM #4
SAJN, I had the exact same line of thought when it showed the scenes with the Na'Avi (sp?) beings on their planet, etc. I immediately said "Omg, I can see the WoW fanbois screaming ripoff at this".
2009-08-20, 9:27 AM #5
Probably the only movie I'm going to see in the remainder of this year.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-20, 10:12 AM #6
That looks stupid as hell.
2009-08-20, 10:15 AM #7
Yeah. This looks amazingly terrible. Cameron hasn't made anything good since T2.

This is the cinematic equivalent of Doom 3. Terrible game, great tech demo.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-20, 10:19 AM #8
I'd rather watch the Avatar movie about the bald kid with the candles. That looked amusing.
2009-08-20, 10:39 AM #9
The selling point of this movie is supposed to be the advances in 3D. So I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the film in 3D. Watching a 2D teaser trailer, teased me enough to peak my interest.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-20, 11:32 AM #10
Oh goodie, now I can actually see what Cameron won't shut the **** up about for the past months...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-20, 11:33 AM #11
Does Cameron even do a lot of interviews?
2009-08-20, 11:56 AM #12
Originally posted by Steven:
I'd rather watch the Avatar movie about the bald kid with the candles. That looked amusing.
Beware. It's directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
2009-08-20, 12:00 PM #13
What a twist!
2009-08-20, 12:03 PM #14
if the movie actually turns out to be good that would be quite a twist
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-20, 12:11 PM #15
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
What a twist!

hahahaha

I hate that second trailer because it is going to ruin Avatar The Last Airbender. Yeah, I like cartoons.

I have yet to hate this avatar, but all I can think of is Antz.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-20, 12:19 PM #16
I'm supposed to take these Smurfs seriosuly?

2009-08-20, 12:19 PM #17
Originally posted by Wuss:
Beware. It's directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Also, I'm not sure why I felt the need to point this out since it was in the ****ing trailer, but I guess Shyamalan warrants multiple warnings.
2009-08-20, 3:08 PM #18
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
The selling point of this movie is supposed to be the advances in 3D. So I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the film in 3D. Watching a 2D teaser trailer, teased me enough to peak my interest.

the word is pique.

not peak. not peek. not peke. not piik. pique.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-20, 3:11 PM #19
At the end, we find that the Airbender is actually a patient at a mental hospital with an unusual fetish for cooling fans. The whole universe was an elaborate hallucination in his head. For a SURPRISE CAMEO, Shyamalan stars as an another patient there but one who suffers from hallucinations of being a competent movie director.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-20, 4:18 PM #20
I am very disappointed by what I saw in the trailer, because - and this is the only major reason - I thought that the whole idea was that you wouldn't be able to tell what was CGI and what wasn't. There was LOADS of very obvious CGI in that trailer, especially in the characters. And yes, I understand that the environments are totally digital.

I thought after three years of post production they'd have perfected it, or something. Damn hype.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2009-08-20, 6:57 PM #21
"you wouldn't be able to tell" = Average Joe can't tell.

Average Joe can't tell Godzilla is fake, though.
2009-08-20, 7:06 PM #22
Quote:
I am very disappointed by what I saw in the trailer, because - and this is the only major reason - I thought that the whole idea was that you wouldn't be able to tell what was CGI and what wasn't. There was LOADS of very obvious CGI in that trailer, especially in the characters. And yes, I understand that the environments are totally digital.

Yeah, I remember hearing the exact same thing. I thought the CGI was supposed to make your eyes bleed it was that awesome, that's what I heard a lot of people who had seen the film had said (and they were industry professionals, not average Joe's). Everything in this looked CGI but the environments.
2009-08-21, 4:00 PM #23
Yea, after watching the extremely awesome CGI in District 9... I was expecting even more from Avatar...

I still hope it will be good.

In District 9, some of the CGI looked better in certain scenes than in others. I am hoping this is true for Avatar, and the parts we have seen were all of the worst CGI... I doubt that is the case... But I can hope.
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-21, 5:14 PM #24
CGI looked pretty good to me. :shrug:
2009-08-21, 5:17 PM #25
To be fair, a lot of the stuff in the trailer looks CG simply because there's no way it could be anything else. Of course giant blue aliens running around doesn't look realistic, our brains simply aren't designed to recognise that kind of movement.

What's important to me is just that the line between real and CG is blurred. The trailer showed was mostly scenes that were pure CG, but I didn't notice any glaring problems in the combo scenese.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-21, 7:47 PM #26
combo scenes? i thought i remember reading this is supposed to be like beowulf where they had real actors doing the scenes in motion capture suits

only alot better
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!