Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [tech] TV to PC?
[tech] TV to PC?
2009-08-20, 6:06 PM #1
No, my laptop does not have the card thingy you need.

But on almost a daily basis I output my laptop to my tv to watch stuff on my HD.
Is there anyway I can reverse this? I want to capture halo 3 content on my PC. Some buddies and I want to make a montage. One of us has a video capture card or whatever, but he is really lazy and it will never get done.
2009-08-20, 7:49 PM #2
Simply- no.
2009-08-20, 8:04 PM #3
You do need a capture card. But here's some advice: There are not many good programs for even just using a capture card, let alone recording video off of it. But VLC works well and it has a recording feature (haven't tried that yet though).

You might not want to get an el cheapo $30 card like I did, had various problems with it (mostly due to lack of decent drivers and software).

2009-08-20, 8:04 PM #4
simply... YES

you need a video capture device and a computer capable of capturing the video... using splitters to run the video signal to your PC and TV is better than using any video capture preview due to lag issues
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-20, 8:52 PM #5
But he doesn't HAVE a capture card, he's asking if he can just run it into his video card.
... I think.
2009-08-20, 9:19 PM #6
Didn't you read the [tag] thread? I'm pretty sure "TV to PC" does not need to be labeled [tech].

It's like making a thread titled [cars] My car won't start

:carl:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-21, 3:39 AM #7
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
No, my laptop does not have the card thingy you need.

But on almost a daily basis I output my laptop to my tv to watch stuff on my HD.
Is there anyway I can reverse this? I want to capture halo 3 content on my PC. Some buddies and I want to make a montage. One of us has a video capture card or whatever, but he is really lazy and it will never get done.

There are various ways you can do this. You could try searching for "USB video capture" and see what type of plug and play devices you can find. Alternatively, if you have access to a camcorder that can output via USB or Firewire you could use the video input on the camcorder to record directly to the camera and then transfer the video via USB or Firewire to the computer. I would actually prefer the latter technique but both of them should yield standard definition quality video easily. It you want video in high definition it will probably be much more difficult.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-21, 7:52 AM #8
actually it's not that difficult to get the videos in HD... you need the following

a video capture device that can capture HD video from component
a computer that can handle processing HD video
disk space to store the HD video
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-21, 9:25 AM #9
But in his situation that is will probably be much more difficult.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-21, 9:27 AM #10
Im too lazy to look, but I thought they made USB capture devices (probably not cheap, and probably not HD quality).
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER

↑ Up to the top!