Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Alien" Prequel in the works...
"Alien" Prequel in the works...
2009-08-22, 9:43 AM #1
Has anyone posted a discussion about this yet?
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-22, 9:45 AM #2
Ooooooo. Linky?
2009-08-22, 9:48 AM #3
I'd prefer a proper Alien 3 first.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-22, 9:49 AM #4
Yea, give me a second to look it up, I'm using my phone right now to write this. I'll get on my PC in a sec and post a link.

Appearently Fox wanted to do this and they actually got Ridley Scott to sign on as a director again.

Edit:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-22, 9:56 AM #5
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I'd prefer a proper Alien 3 first.

alien 3 was proper... they ended the series with her death

alien 4 should have never been made
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-22, 10:01 AM #6
Alien 3 wasn't too bad. I always hear so much hate for that film. It was cool in it's own way. Kind of like a throw back to the first one. The only problem I had with it was how terrible the alien looked being matted in to almost every shot.
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-22, 10:06 AM #7
ALIEN5?
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-22, 10:23 AM #8
Well, appearently Ridley Scott has been talking about making a prequel since 1979. I think Fox figured that doing this movie as a prequel instead of "Alien 5" would be a sure way to get Ridley Scott involved. Cause I mean, let's face it, he is pretty much the only person in the world who could save the Alien franchise. (Possibly Cameron too, but he's busy with Avatar)
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-22, 10:33 AM #9
I prefer Scott's Alien to Cameron's Aliens. Not that Aliens isn't awesome, I just prefer the moodier original.

EDIT: The version of Alien 3 on the quadrilogy box set is damn good too in my opinion. Obviously very much unfinished, and still not what Fincher wanted it to be but I think it was streets ahead of the fourth one, and I think if hadn't been messed with would have been better than the 2nd one too. Again, I just prefer the horror/survival aspect to the "all guns blazing Marines" type film.
2009-08-22, 12:34 PM #10
That's kind of relative because the uncut version of Aliens was drastically better than the theatrical release as well.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-22, 12:52 PM #11
It was. It was also 45 minutes longer.

But, as for a prequel; what then of the rumors that they got Weaver and Ryder to agree to do Alien 5?

Really. One of the best things about the Alien series is that every movie is so different. The first is a straight horror flick. The second is a marines-go-in-blazing flick. The third is a psycho-thriller, and the fourth is a gross-you-out. You shouldn't compare them without taking into account that they are meant to be very different movies.

Also, you have to realize that from Ellen Ripley's perspective, there isn't much of a gap between the movies. It's just one long nightmare.

No, for prequels. Alien Vs Predator is already the prequel (And the Predator films are the prequels to the prequels.)
2009-08-22, 2:08 PM #12
Originally posted by Avenger:
That's kind of relative because the uncut version of Aliens was drastically better than the theatrical release as well.

Oh yeah, the theatrical release made no sense whatsoever. It's all over the bloody place! :P

I am biased though, as JM rightly points out they're all very different and I love well-done horror and also love films by Scott and Fincher.
2009-08-22, 2:14 PM #13
Originally posted by JM:
No, for prequels. Alien Vs Predator is already the prequel (And the Predator films are the prequels to the prequels.)

IMO AvP should have never happened. They're both great franchises in their own right.

2009-08-22, 2:16 PM #14
I'm willing to admit their presence because it gave us good games. I loved the old side-scrolling beat 'em up.
2009-08-22, 2:47 PM #15
Those old side-scrolling beat 'em ups also make it clear the Robocop is the same universe as Terminator.
2009-08-22, 3:20 PM #16
Originally posted by BombayZeus:
IMO AvP should have never happened. They're both great franchises in their own right.

The stories of aliens and predators have been intertwined long before that though.
I was disappointed that they didn't allude to more of their histories in the movies.
The first one hinted at it a bit at least.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-08-22, 3:35 PM #17
Predator 2 did as well
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-22, 3:37 PM #18
^^^ Yarp.
2009-08-22, 5:30 PM #19
True
2009-08-22, 5:51 PM #20
Aliens is by far my favorite in the series. And as for AvP, can't wait for 2010 for AvP3 to come out (I mean the video game, of course).
幻術
2009-08-22, 8:38 PM #21
Originally posted by JM:
Those old side-scrolling beat 'em ups also make it clear the Robocop is the same universe as Terminator.

No, the Robocop Vs. Terminator comics that those games are based on make it clear. However, even though the story was well done, I don't think anyone is going to argue that it is "canon".

The orignal Alien Vs Predator comics and the novelization are excellent. Too bad only very few elements from the source material is hinted at in the films.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-23, 4:08 PM #22
werent AvP movies kind of prequels?
2009-08-23, 11:55 PM #23
Already covered above. That's how AvP came up in this thread.

Originally posted by JM:
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-24, 10:01 AM #24
AVP is a prequel for Alien. More on the origins of the "Company" Weyland-Yutani.

Predator and Predator 2 is already before AVP.

And personally, I like both Alien and Aliens in there own right. If I want straight out horror suspense? Alien. Non-stop action? Aliens.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-08-24, 10:22 AM #25
IMO, AvP should be completely ignored and not even mentioned in a decent prequel to Alien. I don't think AvP should be concidered anything but, or have any more story relevence than, a fanfilm.
||||||||||||||||||||
2009-08-24, 10:39 AM #26
I thought AvP was a lot better than AvP2
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-24, 10:42 AM #27
GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-08-24, 10:48 AM #28
This just reminded me that I have the Aliens trilogy sitting on my shelf at home impatiently waiting to be watched again. I've not seen these flicks in years upon years upon years.

The only thing I can recall is Sigourney Weaver's alienbaby spilling its guts. XD
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-24, 12:21 PM #29
Haha, I did the same Jep :)
2009-08-25, 4:27 AM #30
That would be the "Quadrilogy". I picked that up within the last year. I watched the original Alien and director/special cuts of the rest. If you already don't like Ressurection then you will probably hate the special cut. The opening sequence is way over the top outrageous.

Getting back to the main topic I think a prequel is pointless. The first movie was a classic introduction to the alien. I think the mysterious nature of the creatures should be left alone at least as far as a direct prequel is concerned. AVP already gave us a ridiculous Earthly introduction. *sigh* I really wish they would have simply told the story that had already been fashioned for AVP. Damn, now we're back on AVP again!

2009-08-25, 5:56 AM #31
Wait, the first ALIEN has references to Predator? How haven't I known this?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-25, 6:04 AM #32
You must have misinterpreted something. I was referring to the original AVP story being superior to the one they decided to create for the AVP films. They should have stuck with the first comic/novelization.

2009-08-25, 6:15 AM #33
After watching the behind the scenes stuff for all the movies, the director of Alien 3 is definitely a genius for making it as good as he did with the crap (and lack of material) he had to work with. On the flip side, I think it's amazing how bad the 4th movie turned out, given stuff they had to work with (namely Joss Whedon's script - not that I consider the guy some writing god, but I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that they screwed up executing what he wrote).

I rather liked the first AvP movie, actually, even if it was a bit bland or generic. The second AvP felt like they were trying to "Aliens" it up with the action, but it just came off as rather pointless, in part because I don't think I cared for any of the characters. At least the first movie had the Bishop-like Weyland boss, which I thought was cool.

I'm not really interested in seeing a prequel (even if it is from Ripley Scott, though I sort of agree with the "every Alien movie is different" philosophy), but I'll probably end up seeing it anyway because I'm a sucker for the Alien franchise.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-08-25, 6:57 AM #34
Screenwriter Joss Whedon was unhappy with the final product. When asked in 2005 how the film differed from the script he had written, Whedon responded:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-25, 7:05 AM #35
Originally posted by Jep:
Screenwriter Joss Whedon was unhappy with the final product. When asked in 2005 how the film differed from the script he had written, Whedon responded:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

I was totally unaware of all that.
2009-08-25, 1:57 PM #36
Quote:
AVP already gave us a ridiculous Earthly introduction.

Uh. No it didn't? AVP never implies that the Aliens are from Earth. All it makes clear is how the predators seed planets with them so they can come down and hunt them. We still don't know where the ship in Alien came from (Maybe it's a predator ship?) or where the Aliens came from in the first place.
2009-08-25, 2:15 PM #37
I didn't say or mean that. I meant that they have now been introduced to contemporary Earth and I think that is dumb. I definitely do not want any type of Alien prequel that further goes on to explain the origin of that species. A film that is only a prequel because it happens to take place at an earlier point in time would be fine, though.

2009-08-25, 2:18 PM #38
http://wikipediavspredator.com/
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-08-25, 3:48 PM #39
That's not wiki vs predator, that's random junk listed in wiki vs predator.
Also: wtf
2009-08-25, 7:31 PM #40
http://alienlovespredator.com/
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!