Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → wat
wat
2009-08-28, 12:29 AM #1
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/dual-screen-gscreen-laptop-gets-pictured-hopefully-launching-th

[http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/08-27-09500x_gscreen2.jpg]
一个大西瓜
2009-08-28, 12:30 AM #2
WANT
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-08-28, 12:34 AM #3
That is so sexy.
2009-08-28, 12:41 AM #4
2009-08-28, 1:02 AM #5
Shibby!
2009-08-28, 4:29 AM #6
Funky, but I don't see the point.
nope.
2009-08-28, 4:43 AM #7
They need to build a laptop screen that you can use out in the sun!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-28, 5:49 AM #8
When are they going to stop with this gimicky bull**** and just give us dueling touch screens like the 1LPC people have been promising for years?

[http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/OLPC_XO_2_1.jpg]

That's a dual screen laptop that actually makes sense. Only way to improve on it is to make the top screen turn around and fold down into a tablet.
2009-08-28, 5:59 AM #9
Do not want.
2009-08-28, 6:43 AM #10
That looks retarded. Not to mention the battery life couldn't be more than an hour.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-28, 7:49 AM #11
Holy jesus ****.
2009-08-28, 8:07 AM #12
Not to mention that even if the battery life was good, typing on a touch screen SUCKS MONKEY BUTT.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-28, 8:51 AM #13
Originally posted by JM:
When are they going to stop with this gimicky bull**** and just give us dueling touch screens like the 1LPC people have been promising for years?

That's a dual screen laptop that actually makes sense. Only way to improve on it is to make the top screen turn around and fold down into a tablet.

Perhaps that would be interesting, but I prefer tactile feedback with my keyboards. If the CPU should hiccup or in high CPU load, key presses may not instantly respond, and I would hate not knowing if I did press a key but I'm waiting for the CPU, or if I missed it and should press it again. If I think the former but actually I missed it, I end up waiting for nothing. I imagine that could be quite annoying.

Plus I enjoy the click click noises a tactile keyboard makes.

2009-08-28, 9:08 AM #14
Well it could play noises for you like some cell phones to. Also it could/should have its own independent processor to avoid said situations, but still it will "lag" if the main processor does "hiccup".
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-08-28, 9:56 AM #15
Originally posted by JM:

[http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/OLPC_XO_2_1.jpg]

Yay!!! I can just feel the excitement of bashing my fingertips on a solid surface!

Writing documents are going to be so much fun!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-28, 9:58 AM #16
You'll get over it quick enough.
2009-08-28, 10:04 AM #17
oh my. oh my oh my ohmy. I want that muchly
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2009-08-28, 10:17 AM #18
The FUTURE:

[http://kyle90.info/images/_photoshops/laptop.jpg]
Stuff
2009-08-28, 10:25 AM #19
oh my gasmed

2009-08-28, 7:24 PM #20
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Well it could play noises for you like some cell phones to. Also it could/should have its own independent processor to avoid said situations, but still it will "lag" if the main processor does "hiccup".

Yeah that's the problem... any kind of software-based feedback, whether it's a character appearing on the screen or a sound, can suffer from the same effect. And a dedicated processor for the keyboard to make noise? No. Laptop manufacturers are looking for ways to DECREASE costs of their laptops. :)

Of course there is a big issue I missed before... power. Last time I checked the LCD screen consumes the most power in a laptop, a problem that still (last time I checked) hasn't been resolved, although a few solutions are in the works none have made it to market yet (again, last I checked).

Anyways, it strikes me that adding a second screen (talking about as a keyboard, but applies to the first post too) isn't going to be too battery-life friendly. A traditional keyboard will easily be cheaper and lighter on the battery.

2009-08-28, 8:49 PM #21
yes, but with the dual-screen slide out configuration (first picture) I'd imagine there's a way to use only one screen. So you could save the dual-screen stuff for when you're plugged into the wall.

For the 2nd one you'd be reliant on the touchscreen keyboard to type anything, so it'd pretty much be constantly on.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-29, 4:42 AM #22
yeah, the second screen slides out from behind the first for when you need it

also, kyle90 wins this thread. and the world
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2009-08-29, 5:23 AM #23
I use my laptop a lot for work, and dual screens be extremely handy
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-29, 5:32 AM #24
happy belated birthday maeve.

i know i missed it, but i also know its in august.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-29, 7:25 AM #25
Bah. My birthday is in august. Did you say happy birthday to me? DID YOU?

2009-08-29, 2:32 PM #26
i dont remember.

my birthday was in august too. did you say happy birthday to me?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-29, 2:39 PM #27
Touchscreens are FAR more "gimmicky" then dual monitor setups.

Considering typing on a touchscreen at any more then 30 wpm is a complete disaster/fail, I would abhor the same technology applied on the device that I type on at 80+ wpm.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-29, 4:50 PM #28
not to mention that for some people, dual moniter setups are extremely useful for the type of work that they do.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-08-29, 8:41 PM #29
Quote:
Of course there is a big issue I missed before... power. Last time I checked the LCD screen consumes the most power in a laptop, a problem that still (last time I checked) hasn't been resolved, although a few solutions are in the works none have made it to market yet (again, last I checked).

OLED?

Quote:
i dont remember.

my birthday was in august too. did you say happy birthday to me?
Uhh... Yes. >.> Yes I did. <.< :ninja:

↑ Up to the top!