Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free game-video captcha
Free game-video captcha
2009-08-28, 5:59 PM #1
There was a thread about capturing the video/audio from a game a while back, but iirc, it wasn't FREE.

I want to play through the Legacy of Yun and capture it. Without paying $25-40 dollars. Is there software that will do it (on XP)?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-28, 6:58 PM #2
i thought this was gonna be about CAPTCHA
一个大西瓜
2009-08-28, 7:40 PM #3
same here. I want to see the free video game CAPTCHA.

:(
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-08-28, 7:59 PM #4
Buy fraps
2009-08-28, 8:53 PM #5
Yeah, I looked at fraps. Hence the FREE qualifier in this thread.
2009-08-28, 9:04 PM #6
The short answer is no.
2009-08-29, 12:22 AM #7
(suggests illegal activity through which to get fraps)
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-08-29, 4:27 AM #8
I hink paying a few dollars for Fraps is probably the best way to go, really.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-08-29, 5:02 AM #9
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I want to play through the Legacy of Yun and capture it.

I recommend against playing this level. It is very amateurish and poorly done. It would be nice to think that the author used it as a learning experience and went on to actually create playable levels but I doubt it.

:ninja:
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-29, 7:17 AM #10
Fraps is pretty good. I'd say the author deserves a couple of bucks.
2009-08-29, 9:02 AM #11
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
(suggests illegal activity through which to get fraps)

Seconded.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-29, 9:08 AM #12
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Fraps is pretty good. I'd say the author deserves a couple of bucks.

You could try that, Chewb, and see if the author will cover the other $35.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-29, 10:11 AM #13
Wegame has a video capture tool, but I am unsure whether it allows you to upload it anywhere else other than wegame, and if it gives you access to the raw video so you can encode it however you want (I think yes on both counts but I haven't tried it yet).

Also if you want to record a Source engine game, best thing to do is make a demo instead (Google for directions). Demos will take up a lot less space so you can record a lot more before deciding what you want in a video, and then you can play it back and use a video capture tool to capture only what you want into a video. Also I THINK you can freely move the camera around while playing back a demo too, which allows for better shots (and out-of-body shots of yourself playing).

But I haven't really done any of this stuff other than recording demos.

2009-08-29, 12:18 PM #14
Originally posted by Wookie06:
You could try that, Chewb, and see if the author will cover the other $35.

lol

I'll check out wegame. My students at school want to see the level, and of course they don't have MotS, and I don't have install rights on the work PC. I don't have a laptop I could install it on and then hook up to the projector either. So making a vid and uploading to youtube will have to suffice.
2009-08-29, 12:47 PM #15
You could probably afford Fraps...just saying. :P
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-08-29, 1:05 PM #16
I really can't afford $40 on a single-use software purchase right now.
2009-08-29, 1:39 PM #17
But I thought teachers in America were all incredibly rich. :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-08-29, 3:04 PM #18
Originally posted by Krokodile:

rich with ideas and imagination!

2009-08-29, 7:46 PM #19
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
My students at school want to see the level

How did your students hear about a level for MotS?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-08-29, 7:50 PM #20
He told 'em about it.
2009-08-30, 8:39 AM #21
Ok, more specifically then, why did you tell them about it? Nothing wrong with it, I wish I had a teacher who showed off that kind of stuff :/
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-08-30, 8:53 AM #22
Originally posted by Krokodile:

Teachers are terribly underpaid. Education has become one of this country's lowest priorities.

I just find it unusual that any of your students would be interested in this... I had a teacher who was always going on about Asheron's Call, though.
2009-08-30, 6:43 PM #23
I remember using a window recorder. It recorded whatever you had open and you used the arrow keys to select what window you wanted to record. Maybe if you opened jedi knight in a window and use one of them? Sorry I don't remember what the program is called.

Infact why didn't I use this method to record Negative Gain? I'm an idiot.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2009-08-30, 8:02 PM #24
You could try CamStudio, don't know how well it works with games, but works pretty good for screen recording.
2009-08-30, 10:59 PM #25
Web game sucks, don't even try it.
2009-08-31, 2:10 PM #26
Why don't you just record it with a video camera & upload the video? Your students are probably used to watching CAMs. Paying for things is so 1980s.
? :)
2009-08-31, 3:15 PM #27
Hey, I'm an 80's kid.

The first day or two of school I have them tell me about themselves, what they like and such. Then I reciprocate.

@Mentat: Because it would look like dookey?
2009-08-31, 3:18 PM #28
Originally posted by Vin:
Teachers are terribly underpaid. Education has become one of this country's lowest priorities.

I just find it unusual that any of your students would be interested in this... I had a teacher who was always going on about Asheron's Call, though.

Well to be fair a lot of them aren't worth much either.
2009-08-31, 3:19 PM #29
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Well to be fair a lot of them aren't worth much either.

Yeah there is. Teaching isn't exactly an easy job, not even in the classes for it in college.
2009-09-01, 5:01 AM #30
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah there is. Teaching isn't exactly an easy job, not even in the classes for it in college.

Just 2 more cents, since I have first-hand knowledge/experience - most of my "education" professors were total morons that taught totally useless classes. I was also an adjunct at the local uni for a couple of years, and that was a gravy job. Easiest job ever. And btw, none of your professors have ever had an education course either.
2009-09-01, 5:22 PM #31
Back to the paying for FRAPS thing. I'd pay for it, if I was a) making money doing something where I employ this tool, and b) I could afford it.
2009-09-01, 6:51 PM #32
With regards to your criteria, I guess you should ask a refund on those game engines....
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!