Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Defying Gravity
Defying Gravity
2009-08-31, 9:22 PM #1
Anybody watching this interesting new show?

seems like it would be Kyle90's cup of tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defying_Gravity_%28TV_series%29
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-31, 9:51 PM #2
I thought of this (some guy who goes/went to my university sings this)

一个大西瓜
2009-08-31, 9:52 PM #3
I'm going to fly

I'm going to try

I'm going to lay down and die
2009-08-31, 10:22 PM #4
I watched half of the first episode before I read some reviewer call it "grey's anatomy in space".
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-08-31, 10:24 PM #5
Ehhhhhhhh. I watched a couple episodes and I'm really pretty sure it's really just exactly what Veger's reviews say it is: Grey's Anatomy in space. They've got that running cosmic mystery subplot, but I'm pretty sure they'll never explain it and it's only there as a trap for people who want a little more depth from their shows.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-09-01, 4:37 AM #6
Hm yeah I think I'll just wait for SG:U
Stuff
2009-09-01, 5:44 AM #7
But you guys like Heroes and BSG.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-01, 6:20 AM #8
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Ehhhhhhhh. I watched a couple episodes and I'm really pretty sure it's really just exactly what Veger's reviews say it is: Grey's Anatomy in space.

According to Wikipedia, that's it was literally pitched to the network as "Grey's Anatomy in space."

Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
but I'm pretty sure they'll never explain it and it's only there as a trap for people who want a little more depth from their shows.

Seems that way, unfortunately.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-01, 9:12 AM #9
Originally posted by JediKirby:
But you guys like Heroes and BSG.

BSG has the advantage of being one of the most feminist-friendly TV shows out there (and certainly the best scifi one I can think of); it's visually compelling; it tells a story with an ensemble cast extremely well; has a stupendous soundtrack; and somehow still manages to deliver the action-y elements that you'd expect a fan of Star Wars to like. Plus it has Eddy Olmos.

You can't really say any of those for Defying Gravity (or really Heroes past season 1). Really what turns me off to the show, though, is the clumsy moralizing tone...
2009-09-01, 9:36 AM #10
Who cares about that show? Big Bang Theory comes back on in a few weeks.
2009-09-01, 10:02 AM #11
Originally posted by kyle90:
Hm yeah I think I'll just wait for SG:U

This.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-09-01, 10:26 AM #12
So much that, I just really hope they don't **** it up.
2009-09-02, 7:38 PM #13
I love Ron Livingston to death, but this show is terrible.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-03, 11:44 AM #14
I've enjoyed the show so far on Hulu, but the story needs to move on. It's way too slow and in danger of cancellation because nothing ever happens.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-09-06, 4:07 AM #15
Greys Anatomy in space is correct, right down to the cringe worthy voiceover - especially the episode where he talked about doors the whole time, what.

This show has proven to me my love of Ron Livingston has limits.
2009-09-06, 8:47 AM #16
I've never actually watched Grey's Anatomy, so maybe it's unfair for me to avoid this show just because of the comparison.

But it sounds like they're both absolute ****e, so I think my decision is correct.
Stuff
2009-09-06, 9:11 AM #17
What the hell, Jaiph? Almost four years since your last post. And, less oddly, Asp? Within a couple days of each other. Post more guys, I miss you.
2009-09-06, 11:40 AM #18
To be fair, I enjoy Grey's Anatomy. It's by no means great television, but it's entertaining and occasionally funny. I also enjoy science fiction.

However, I watched the first two episodes of Defying Gravity and it's not entertaining, funny, or good science fiction. Also, their research is shockingly poor, an example being the voiceover in the pilot claiming that you'd explode like a pinata if exposed to the vacuum of space. As long as you don't try to hold your breath, you'd be able to survive a good 90 seconds of being exposed to space. You wouldn't freeze (BSG got this wrong as well) because there's nowhere for your body heat to go in space.

There is a baseline level of research that should be done for television to qualify for a genre, Defying Gravity is almost as bad as 24 in this regard.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-09-06, 12:46 PM #19
Originally posted by Steven:
Who cares about that show? Big Bang Theory comes back on in a few weeks.

this.

also, i thought this was going to be a picture of someone jumping off the roof.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-09-08, 2:17 AM #20
Originally posted by andreawesome:
also, i thought this was going to be a picture of someone jumping off the roof.

That would be more like a successful demonstration of how gravity works...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-08, 4:27 AM #21
I accept that I'm in a tiny minority, especially of my physicist friends, but I really don't like Big Bang Theory and I find it so frustrating because some things are really clever and I like the premise, but the execution is so annoying. I ****ing hate the obnoxious laugh track, how every other line is a gag, and how it too often is reduced to 'wow look! the crazy eccentric guy is doing crazy eccentric things! HILARITY.'. It really ruins the otherwise good quality stuff. Still, better than Defying Gravity.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-09-08, 5:37 AM #22
Originally posted by Detty:
an example being the voiceover in the pilot claiming that you'd explode like a pinata if exposed to the vacuum of space.

in his defense, he was quoting his ignorant father on that one.

also, it would be your natural instinct to hold your breath if you knew you were going somewhere with no air...
2009-09-08, 6:00 AM #23
at the end of the episode he said his father was right except for one thing (and that wasn't the one thing)

(and you wouldn't explode if you held your breath, you could just cause permanent long damage)
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-09-14, 2:36 PM #24
http://www.examiner.com/x-21670-Houston-Space-News-Examiner~y2009m9d14-Defying-Gravity-TV-series-cancelled

Episodes will still air in Canada though apparently.
2009-09-14, 3:02 PM #25
Feh. as improbable/scientifically inaccurate that it was, i still thought it was pretty decent. The characters were likable, the dialogue wasn't terrible, and i found the whole conspiracy thing intriguing, if a bit contrived.
2009-09-14, 3:47 PM #26
I wish they would stop writing characters around young, good looking actors and actresses. Do they even have any data supporting the idea that all young people prefer young characters, or is it just another bull**** executive decision based on the idea that all people who aren't making 7 figures are completely inept sheep?

I think most audiences would respond well to better characters.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!