Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Opera 10
Opera 10
2009-09-02, 2:59 PM #1
Anyone else impressed? I'm liking the new visual style so far, and it has inbuilt spell check, although Firefox has for years.
2009-09-02, 5:33 PM #2
I think opera has had that for quite a while. The sole reason I no longer use opera is the lack of adblock plus. Sure there are some weird custom js/css alternatives you can sort of get working with opera, but it's nowhere near as awesome as the subscription-based adblock plus.
2009-09-02, 5:37 PM #3
And for those who want to check out such ad-blocking things: http://www.adsweep.org/

Works with Chrome too!
Stuff
2009-09-02, 5:46 PM #4
I tried that with Chrome, it liked to hide large portions of random pages. Had to remove it because of that.

2009-09-02, 5:50 PM #5
And apparently is no longer updated, kyle90.

That said, Adblock Plus is amazing, not just because of subscriptions, but because of how it completely eliminates the whole ad area, not just the image/etc. I also love the extra extension called Element Hiding Helper, which gives Adblock Plus a really advanced method of eliminating entire sections of a site that may contain ads.
2009-09-02, 8:32 PM #6
I think you might have solved MZZTs problem.
2009-09-02, 11:32 PM #7
I tried it at work yesterday but still prefer Chrome.
2009-09-02, 11:49 PM #8
For some reason Chrome seems to have trouble with Java. For example, the System Requirements Lab will always freeze up on me. I'll try out Opera, but for now I'm still using Firefox.

2009-09-03, 8:41 AM #9
I really enjoy Opera, I have since version 6. I've been using 10 beta for a while now (newer version is out, just haven't gotten around to upgrading) and I really enjoy it. I like how simple and streamlined it is.

I don't really mind ads, so the lack of adblock doesn't really do it for me.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-09-03, 8:49 AM #10
I find opera to be the fastest/most efficient browser out there. Especially so since 10 alpha/beta.

A big thing for me is the fluidness when scrolling on a page. Firefox and IE are choppy as hell on various websites (ie myspace). As far as page loading times, opera has always delivered.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-03, 6:26 PM #11
I just use it because I have like a gillion saved sessions, and because I got I'm so used to it.
2009-09-03, 6:33 PM #12
I can't stand being without Adblock, and it's not just because it removes all the terrible ads. It's because the actual ads themselves will lag the browser to hell sometimes.

I love all the benchmarks people have for Safari and Opera and such that show it beating Firefox. But then I test a page laden in ads, and Firefox runs laps around Safari and such as they attempt to process all this crap on the page Firefox doesn't need to.
2009-09-03, 10:45 PM #13
None of the websites I use really have ads. *shrug*
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-09-04, 10:24 AM #14
Chrome has some pretty neat stuff going on inside it, but its interface is pretty disgusting to me. First, there's /no/ reason to give the entire window fisher price borders and controls. Not only does it look tacky and doesn't blend in with anything, it also doesn't play well with applications that eg add buttons [like Ultramon that I use at work for multi-monitor setups constantly].

More functionally, though, its tabbing presentation is abysmal. As soon as you get enough tabs in your bar, you can't even see their icons anymore, let alone read their names. A fair bit of space is wasted on each tab itself, not to mention that there are no options at all for eg making them into multiple rows, or managing them any more intelligently.

I'd love to love it, but those are two things I can't get past so far.

Also I've been seriously ruined by Tab Kit's ability in ff to sort/organize tabs into colorcoded groups based on where I opened them from. At work I'll routinely have up to 200 tabs open at a time [not all work-related of course!], and it makes it soo much simpler to keep track of them and remember what I haven't looked at yet or such.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!