Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Graphic design massassians
Graphic design massassians
2009-09-04, 12:49 PM #1
Need some quick help.

Throwing together a band myspace for someone until they can afford to pay a legit designer. Everything has come along nicely, I just have no idea how to arrange a horizontal contact table under the header picture like most bands have.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-04, 4:25 PM #2
Can you post a link with a sample of what you mean?
幻術
2009-09-04, 5:25 PM #3
And for this wouldn't you need a web designer more than a graphic designer? As I imagine it involves editing some CSS (probably converting a list to display inline). So instead of this:

Band:
- Members
- Tour Info
- Photos

You'd have...

Band: - Members - Tour Info - Photos - Message - Add as Friend

Is that what you're trying to do?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-09-04, 5:30 PM #4
Yes thats exactly it.

I honestly don't know what it would need I just figure someone around here probably knows.

example: http://www.myspace.com/incubus
-Martyn
2009-09-04, 6:01 PM #5
How easy is it to reverse-engineer myspace layouts, i wonder
Stuff
2009-09-05, 9:54 AM #6
Soo.. no one knows?
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 10:00 AM #7
I'm no web designer, but I think kyle90 has the right idea? View the page source and find the code you are looking for?
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-05, 10:03 AM #8
Oh I guess I didn't pick up on what he meant. Is there any specific strings of code I should be looking for? I wouldn't know how to identify it if I saw it in front of me honestly.
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 10:21 AM #9
...Seriously?
2009-09-05, 11:38 AM #10
Yeah seriously. Sorry if I'm not as smart and all knowing as the mighty Jon'C. [http://www.theabeforum.com/images/emoticons/New/bow.gif]
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 11:45 AM #11
Apology accepted.

If you can't figure out how to reverse-engineer it, how were you planning on implementing your own? Were you hoping one of us would just do your work for you, so you wouldn't have to learn anything? Or were you hoping we'd tell you what part of the site to copy and paste, so you could get sued for copyright infringement as soon as your band turns a large enough profit to cover the legal fees for the lawsuit?

Here's an idea: if you can't figure out how to take another band's idea, why not try your own thing?
2009-09-05, 12:12 PM #12
Actually I was hoping someone would be able to post the code and explain it to me so that I could implement it on my own smartass.

Furthermore -- its pretty standard on all myspace music layouts to have that particular style AND its not even my band jackass, its for someone else, and that is what they ASKED me to do.

So please take your self righteous attitude and cram it up your ***. Thank you.
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 12:31 PM #13
You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with '***'
2009-09-05, 1:18 PM #14
it seems to me if a band asked you to do something and you can't do it, why are you doing it?
The Gas Station
2009-09-05, 1:37 PM #15
Originally posted by Onimusha:
So please take your self righteous attitude and cram it up your ***. Thank you.

you too :colbert:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-09-05, 1:38 PM #16
Basiclally you take an unordered list and style the lis as display: inline; This has the effect you want. Next you'll want to look up CSS stuff for hiding the bullets, and then adding left and right margins on the lis. You might also want to explicitly set all paddings and margins for the ul and lis... different browsers tend to have different defaults.

2009-09-05, 3:25 PM #17
doublepost.
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 3:26 PM #18
Thanks mega that is what I was looking for.

As for why I did it, because everything else I knew how to do and it was simple. As long as the process can be explained then I can do it. Simple.

Quote:
you too

I didn't come in here acting like a douche tool, I came asking for help.
-Martyn
2009-09-05, 6:34 PM #19
jus sayin yo, i dont appreciate douchetoolin
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-09-05, 7:25 PM #20
Just do what everyone else that isn't really interested in web design does; steal. Go to one of those MySpace layout pages that has something similar to what you want & just hack the CSS to hell. It's quite simple, really. You can teach yourself the basics of XHTML & CSS in a night.
? :)
2009-09-05, 7:54 PM #21
Heh, in all the threads to become hostile, I didn't expect it in this one.
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!