Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → illegal fireworks
illegal fireworks
2009-09-05, 6:10 AM #1
As fireworks have recently been banned here in canberra (except for professional displays), there are lots of people setting them off, even though there is supposed to be an amnesty where you can just hand them in.

so, for anyone else that live in a city that has banned non-lisenced individuals from buying or setting off fireworks (and you were around when said ban was enacted), did people start setting off all the fireworks that they had stored up.

(though, they shouldnt realy have had them anyway, as even before the ban, you were not supposed to keep them after fireworks night)

Though, it is kind of the end of an era as fireworks being legal was one of the things that made canberra special. Well, I guess we still have the fact that prostitution has been decriminalised here (and they have to pay taxes).
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-05, 6:16 AM #2
Fireworks have been banned where I live for years. People still fire them off. Unless someone's house catches on fire, the police don't even come out to take care of it.
2009-09-05, 6:17 AM #3
another reason i'm glad i live someplace where they haven't banned fireworks... hell they actually lifted a ban on certain types of fireworks a few years back (probably because everyone just drove out of state to buy their fireworks and they couldn't enforce the ban (which was for anything that flew into the air AND exploded))
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-05, 6:44 AM #4
There's technically a ban on projectile fireworks here (mortars, etc), but that doesn't prevent stores from selling them or people from setting them off.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-09-05, 7:13 AM #5
In our city, fireworks can only be shot a few days around Independence Day and New Years. I don't hear any fireworks any other time of year. Probably because they aren't allowed to be sold within city limits, and there's really nowhere outside city limits to sell them.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-09-05, 8:13 AM #6
meh, the ban will work better here seeing as canberra was the only place where you could legaly buy fireworks anyway (and even then, only for a short time of the year, and only allowed to set them off on the queen's birthday long weekend)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-05, 9:42 AM #7
I live at the very edge of Duval County in Florida and fireworks that leave the ground are banned here. I got them in Baker County and no one cared.
2009-09-05, 10:23 AM #8
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
There's technically a ban on projectile fireworks here (mortars, etc), but that doesn't prevent stores from selling them or people from setting them off.

yeah stores that sell fireworks banned in the area (or a nearby area) usually just make people sign a form stating they won't use the fireworks in the area they are banned
2009-09-05, 10:30 AM #9
Originally posted by alpha1:
. Well, I guess we still have the fact that prostitution has been decriminalised here (and they have to pay taxes).

That makes you as special as Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and the rest of ACT.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-05, 11:00 AM #10
Indiana had banned almost all fireworks for years until a couple of years ago. Now they are all okay. Granted, it never stopped anybody around here before....
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-09-05, 11:23 AM #11
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
Indiana had banned almost all fireworks for years until a couple of years ago. Now they are all okay. Granted, it never stopped anybody around here before....

it was only the ones that exploded in the air that were illegal... unless you're area of indiana had a longer banned list

but yeah as i said earlier banned or not it made no difference... the police couldn't hope to properly enforce the ban and the only time anyone would get in trouble for banned fireworks is if they were caught doing something retarded and dangerous with them
2009-09-06, 7:46 AM #12
From my cold, dead, hands.
? :)

↑ Up to the top!