Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Infinity Hotel
Infinity Hotel
2009-09-10, 5:48 PM #41
Originally posted by Vornskr:
"infinity + 1 > infinity" is an expression that doesn't make sense, because infinity isn't a number that you can perform ordinary operations with.

Like I said in my post above, the trouble is in trying to think about the number of rooms you have vs. the number of guests you have.

Instead, tell me this: under my proposed solution, is there ever a guest who doesn't get a room? Not guest #999, because he can move into room #1000. Not guest #999999, because he can move into room #1000000, and so on. No guest will ever have a problem here, because there's no "last guest" or "last room".

(I shouldn't do this, but to answer your question on your terms--remember that a mathematician would say they don't make sense--: you are right that "infinity + 1 > infinity" is false. In fact, to the extent that it makes sense, infinity + 1 = infinity. But that also shows us that the hotel won't have a problem. It had infinity rooms, so it could accommodate infinity guests. Then it got one more guest, so it had infinity + 1 guests, which is really just infinity guests. So the number of guests it has hasn't changed. So it can still fit everyone, including the new guest.

See why talking about it in these terms is eschewed by mathematicians?)

The last bit makes sense I guess. Thanks for explaining. :eng101:
2009-09-11, 12:19 AM #42
Originally posted by JM:
But you still haven't explained where all these new guests are coming from when there are already infinite guests - that is, everyone - in the hotel.

That is not what infinity means.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-09-11, 11:11 AM #43
No it isn't! But that doesn't change the fact that everyone is already checked in.
2009-09-11, 4:04 PM #44
An infinite number of guests does not mean every guest everywhere in existence.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-11, 4:41 PM #45
a circle has an infinite number of edges, but that doesn't mean that every geometric edge in existence is a member of every circle.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!