Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Another weight loss thread...
Another weight loss thread...
2009-09-09, 9:12 PM #1
I've got to thinking recently. My school is not far from a park that has a 2km perimeter (1.2 miles). If I were to walk to this park and walk around it 5 times every day 5 days a week, walking roughly 30miles a week, would I be able to, after a good 3-5 weeks, jog a mile with no problems?

Will this make me loose weight at a very fast rate?
Will it help me improve on other more complicated excersises (such as pull ups, swimming)?

I do a fair amount of walking in my daily routine, but now I think I should just add a whole lot more.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-09, 9:30 PM #2
Walking a lot will probably not help you to be able to jog better. It will definitely be a healthy activity and if you do it enough you'll lose weight, but walking and jogging use different muscles. In order to become better at jogging, you need to jog.

Case in point: I work as a back country ranger. I hike anywhere from 5-15 miles in a day, often with a full pack weighing 40 or 50 pounds. A 10 mile terrain through rugged terrain is nothing for me. I can pound out 4 miles in an hour without running. However, I'm lucky if I can jog a 10 minute mile... in fact, over long distances (several miles or more), I could probably cover the distance faster by walking than I could by jogging or running.

I would be hesitant to add a lot more activities all at once... start simple, and add activities at the rate of 1 new one every 2 weeks or so to avoid over exerting yourself.
2009-09-09, 9:41 PM #3
eat less, exercise more, lose weight

or

eat less

people dont realize doing 100 different ****ing exercises won't make you lose weight unless you change your diet.

2009-09-09, 9:45 PM #4
Hiking 10 miles a day will make you lose weight. I haven't had to change my diet. In fact, I have to eat more or I feel hungry. :)
2009-09-09, 9:50 PM #5
Originally posted by Tank:
eat less, exercise more, lose weight

or

eat less

people dont realize doing 100 different ****ing exercises won't make you lose weight unless you change your diet.

I'm eating 2 meals a day, normal meals, I should be loosing weight.
2009-09-09, 9:50 PM #6
I don't see how it would help with upper body exercises, but it would burn calories and be great for your legs.
2009-09-09, 9:57 PM #7
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I don't see how it would help with upper body exercises, but it would burn calories and be great for your legs.

Well, the hanging belly would be burnt off eventually.
2009-09-10, 4:07 AM #8
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I'm eating 2 meals a day, normal meals, I should be loosing weight.

No, thats a terrible habbit and you're starving your body, essentially forcing it to cling to every ounce of calories and fat in ingests because it has to last longer than it should have to before the next meal.

A good, healthy eating habit for a diet should be :

Breakfast
10 o'clock snack
Lunch
Afternoon snack
Dinner

And of course its important that you monitor and space your calorie intake accordingly.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-09-10, 5:34 AM #9

That's not true at all, it depends on what exercises you do. Bottom line is, BURN more calories than you take in.

Your metabolism is a factor as well, and cutting calories will definitely help burn more fat faster. Also, getting the right amounts of sleep will help your body cut out some food intake. Most people don't realize that they substitute sleep with food for extra energy.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-10, 7:26 AM #10
wrong things

...?

Does what you said make sense even to you?
2009-09-10, 7:48 AM #11
Originally posted by Jep:
No, thats a terrible habbit and you're starving your body, essentially forcing it to cling to every ounce of calories and fat in ingests because it has to last longer than it should have to before the next meal.

A good, healthy eating habit for a diet should be :

Breakfast
10 o'clock snack
Lunch
Afternoon snack
Dinner

And of course its important that you monitor and space your calorie intake accordingly.

Also this. When I was in better shape I ate exactly like this, however you have to be careful not to confuse the difference in a snack and a meal, as well as what kind of snacking you should be doing. (a bag of lays isnt really a snack, but a piece of fruit or some jerky would be.)
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-10, 7:51 AM #12
How much do you weight? When I joined the AF, I wasn't in the best of shape, it would take me quite a while to jog a mile and I was so beat at the end of it I felt like I would collapse. After only a couple of weeks of jogging every other day it became really easy to jog 2.5 miles. I was actually gaining weight though, I had previously been very skinny w/out much muscle. You should talk to a doctor, especially if you are severely overweight.
2009-09-10, 7:55 AM #13
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Also this. When I was in better shape I ate exactly like this, however you have to be careful not to confuse the difference in a snack and a meal, as well as what kind of snacking you should be doing. (a bag of lays isnt really a snack, but a piece of fruit or some jerky would be.)

Snack suggestions:

- Low-fat individual portion of yogurt
- 12x Unsalted Almonds (Perk : Great for lowering cholesterol)
- One type of fruit per snack (Eat two apples if you feel ok after, but don't mix an apple and a strawberry or orange or any two different fruits together. The sugars do not mix well. So no fruit salad cups. Its not the end of the world and still better than a bag of chips if you do, but its better not to at all.)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-09-10, 1:13 PM #14
:master:

but replace stroke with bation and do it religiously. GOIT WEIGHT LOSS TIP.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2009-09-10, 1:52 PM #15
I'm not terribly overweight, but I gained back what I lost a couple months ago. I am now roughly 90kg. My aim is 70 kg by march next year. I haven't weight 70kg in a long time, The closest I ever was, was 75, about 3 years ago. I hate my body, I keep going up and down every year on my weight. Its as if my metabolism was radical or something.
2009-09-10, 1:56 PM #16
How tall are you?
幻術
2009-09-10, 3:45 PM #17
I would think SAJN would be the resident expert in this area. He made tremendous accomplishment with this.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-10, 3:47 PM #18
My little tidbit is... you more than likely don't need 5 weeks of walking practice before you can jog a mile. Unless you are grossly overweight and have awful cardiovascular strength, I would recommend TRYING it now. Maybe you'll get a quarter mile, have to walk for another quarter, then slow down a lot and finish, maybe you'll make it halfway, walk another quarter, then quite, but I would be surprised if after a few times, you weren't able to finish a full mile jog, albeit at a slow pace.

Give it a shot! Hydrate and stretch, etc.
2009-09-10, 4:06 PM #19
Originally posted by Koobie:
How tall are you?

6 feet.

Originally posted by saberopus:
My little tidbit is... you more than likely don't need 5 weeks of walking practice before you can jog a mile. Unless you are grossly overweight and have awful cardiovascular strength, I would recommend TRYING it now. Maybe you'll get a quarter mile, have to walk for another quarter, then slow down a lot and finish, maybe you'll make it halfway, walk another quarter, then quite, but I would be surprised if after a few times, you weren't able to finish a full mile jog, albeit at a slow pace.

Give it a shot! Hydrate and stretch, etc.

I'll try it, but I know I'll probably only make about 300m before I need to walk again. I've been smoking for some time now, which has really killed my breathing.
2009-09-10, 4:14 PM #20
My brother was 240 lbs (heavier than you) and 6'1" and when he started exercising, it didn't take him too long to be able to jog a mile. He didn't have any other health issues, though. Good luck.
2009-09-10, 4:20 PM #21
Walking will not help you jog/run any more than doing bicep curls will increase your vertical jump. Doing exercise X and expecting Y to get better is kind of silly (it will help improve overall fitness, which might make you LESS BAD at it, but if you want to run, run. If you want to jump high, do things that help you jump high).

As for diet, which can be up to 80% of fat loss, I have eight simple rules you can follow:

1. Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.
2. Avoid food products that make a health claim.
3. Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle.
4. Get out of the supermarket whenever possible.
5. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.
6. You are what you eat eats too.
7. Eat like an omnivore.
8. Don't look for a magic bullet in the traditional diet.

For more details on them, check out T-Nation's article. There's a lot of crap on T-Nation, but this is one of their good articles. It explains why you should follow those rules.

I like these rules so much because they're not a fad. They make sense. They're simple. You don't have to count carbs on watch your points, you just eat real food.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-09-10, 5:53 PM #22
Thats actually a pretty damn good article HappyDud. Thanks alot. Now its only a matter of convincing my family to get off this atrocious diet they've been dependant on for so many years. Thats the biggest issue in my house. I have to eat what they buy. I rarely get a say in what we eat.
2009-09-10, 6:15 PM #23
Originally posted by happydud:
1. Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.
2. Avoid food products that make a health claim.
3. Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle.
4. Get out of the supermarket whenever possible.
5. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.
6. You are what you eat eats too.
7. Eat like an omnivore.
8. Don't look for a magic bullet in the traditional diet.

The problem is - at least in my case - I've spent the last twenty years eating **** and retch at a worrying amount of food unless it's been covered up in something exceptionally spicy or exceptionally flavourful, and even then it's a 50:50 chance I won't retch anyway.

I was probably eating better (despite the huge quantity of red meat) when I was at Uni, because I was eating a lot more dairy. And even then I only really ate onions and pepper and occasionally mushrooms, although that's probably more "I don't know what else I can use in [meal] and I've only just learnt how to make carbonara."
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-09-10, 6:50 PM #24
Stir fries are the best meal. Basically take all the vegetables you have in the kitchen and dump them in a frying pan with olive oil. Cook on mediumish for "a while," then add as many spices as you can get your hands on.

You cook some chicken in a separate pan and then combine them (or put the chicken in toward the beginning to make sure it's good and cooked) for moar proh-teen.

I'd say I have a stirfry about 12 times a week. Often I have a "breakfast stirfry" - which is just the above recipe with some eggs cracked and scrambled into it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-09-10, 7:00 PM #25
why are you fat?

Eat less, chew mints, start exercising. Its not rocket science.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-09-10, 10:48 PM #26
I've been trying to lose some weight in the last few months. I'm 6', but I cycle a fair amount and wanted to have less of me to carry up hills on the road :)
I simply tried to cut sugar out of my diet. Not completely, I will still have a teaspoon of sugar in a coffee or tea, but avoiding anything with alot of sugar in it. Cutting out Coke/Sprite etc. seemed like a good place to start. A hell of a lot of sugar in them.
The result so far is that I've dropped from 82kg to 77kg.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-09-10, 11:47 PM #27
I recommend meth for losing weight.

↑ Up to the top!