Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anbody else notice Google's new...
Anbody else notice Google's new...
2009-09-10, 8:23 PM #1
size for the search bar and the text that you type in? It was really annoying at first, because I kept thinking I was zoomed in on my browser and I kept resetting the zoom (ctrl+0) to try to get it back to normal. I finally realized that it's not just on my computer when I was accessing Google from work.

What's the deal? Is it some campaign to help the visually impaired?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-09-10, 8:25 PM #2
I thought it looked different...
woot!
2009-09-10, 8:26 PM #3
google was tried of being small

2009-09-10, 8:28 PM #4
And yet it is still the same basic page as it was 10 years ago.
Google understands "Don't fix what ain't broke".
2009-09-10, 8:29 PM #5
Do not like.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-10, 8:41 PM #6
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
And yet it is still the same basic page as it was 10 years ago.
Google understands "Don't fix what ain't broke".

I think I agree with you for once.

I think they did it to see how people would react, or what they'd say. Social experiment.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-10, 9:05 PM #7
I never noticed, I don't think I ever use the main page, I use the search built into firefox. Looks like they're trying to cater to 2nd graders.
2009-09-10, 9:07 PM #8
ew. i disapprove
2009-09-10, 9:17 PM #9
I knew about this Wednesday, you guys need to subscribe to the Google Blog RSS feed like me:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/now-s-u-p-e-r-sized.html

Oddly enough I've seen only negative reactions, even though the box is a little bigger thus a little easier to use for some people, uses more of the normally wasted screen real estate... I'm not sure what the problem is.

2009-09-10, 9:58 PM #10
I noticed it this evening, and I also reset the zoom a few times trying to figure out what was going on.

I don't care that they enlarged it, now that I figured out my browser wasn't jacked up. Now instead of searching for Massassi, I'll search for Massassi.

Doesn't. Matter.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-09-10, 10:21 PM #11
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I noticed it this evening, and I also reset the zoom a few times trying to figure out what was going on.

I don't care that they enlarged it, now that I figured out my browser wasn't jacked up. Now instead of searching for Massassi, I'll search for Massassi.

Doesn't. Matter.

You mean...
MASSASSI
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-11, 12:21 AM #12
No matter what we may think, there is no way Google put this live without running multivariant tests and deciding on this as the design that worked best.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-09-11, 12:31 AM #13
This is a weird thing to complain about. Just goes to show that people cling to familiarity. I'm certain that almost no one will care in a month from now.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-11, 6:14 AM #14
You're absolutely right, Kroko. It's not making it any more challenging to search, the functionality is the same. However, if your car was black, and one day you came home and someone had painted it pink, it might give you the same feeling. The car is still functional, it still does the exact same thing, but it doesn't look the same.
Author of the JK levels:

2009-09-11, 8:13 AM #15
Your car analogy is WRONG, Google did not paint their homepage pink or make any similar change. :P Now, if you came home and your car was a little BIGGER, that would be a fair analogy.

Although in this case there would be downsides (you can't squeeze into smaller parking spaces, no longer qualify for "compact car" status in parking lots) whereas I'm having trouble seeing any on Google. Unless people make fun of you for your bigger car?

2009-09-11, 8:19 AM #16
Bah, you get my point though. For people who use Google on a daily basis, it was a noticeable change, and something that we'll have to get used to. Not a huge change, but definitely a noticeable one. As Brian said, I think that the larger search box and font size makes it look less professional. You can make the argue that "Oh, it's just a larger font size, who cares?" But take a marketing or research class and you'll see that sometimes the smallest changes, even something as simple as this, can have negative impacts.

Before anyone gets in an uproar about my previous statement, no I don't think this is going to be the end of Google. It's probably not going to effect them very much at all, but I think that this large font and search box will not remain permanent, if anything, they'll give you an option to revert to the old style for sure.
Author of the JK levels:

2009-09-11, 8:38 AM #17
I noticed it as well, and did the same attempt at browser resizing... google...fail?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-11, 8:46 AM #18
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
You're absolutely right, Kroko. It's not making it any more challenging to search, the functionality is the same. However, if your car was black, and one day you came home and someone had painted it pink, it might give you the same feeling. The car is still functional, it still does the exact same thing, but it doesn't look the same.

Yes, I see what you mean. Just a matter of personal preference then. I personally would of course not mind at all if they presented the option to revert to the old style if the user prefers it, even if this new one remained as the default.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!