Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 9 review
9 review
2009-09-11, 9:52 PM #1
SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

I saw 9 tonight and... well I only kind of liked it.

My favorite part of the movie was the visuals. The movie was consistently gorgeous and it definitely had a Tim Burton overtone to the design. I loved the designs of the "stitchpunks" and some of the robot monsters, such as the BABYSNAKE THING. The characters all had a realistic weight and movement to them which I liked.

The thing that really killed this movie for me was the dialogue and editing. Its not a very long movie (91 minutes) but it drags on and left me uninterested more than once. The story has so much potential, but the characters barely get developed. It's supposed to be post-apocalyptic and you're supposed care if they survive, but i was just bored!

I guess when it comes down it it, I'd give the movie a 6/10. I'd definitely watch it again, but if you havent seen it I recommend just waiting for the DVD.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-09-11, 11:08 PM #2
Spoilerish

I agree. Unfortunatley I took a peek at a review in the paper before I saw it so I was expecting the lackluster plot. I really wanted to like it, and for the visuals I really did. I was almost hoping it was over after they blew up the power plant thingy. It felt like one crazy action scene after another, I really felt they could have expanded on the characters and given them more depth as to why the scientist made them and what their purpose was. On top of that I didn't like how so many of them died for basically nothing.

6/10 sounds about right to me.
2009-09-12, 8:10 AM #3
This is the original short flm that 9 was based on. It's full of spoilers, with some shots being exactly the same as in the movie.

I actually like this way more than the feature film.

[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-09-12, 11:37 PM #4
After watching the short, I tried to like it but I just can't get engaged. Trying to understand it, even from a totally abstract perspective, produces more of a barrier than any sort of whimsical funnel to drag me in. I don't want dialog or narration, but I can't really sympathize with this 9 doll guy because I don't know what the hell he's doing.

So I guess the movie is just more of that?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-12, 11:38 PM #5
9 is kind of a shoddy number, 7 looks absolutely hilarious and 8 is just magnificent.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-13, 9:25 AM #6
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
9 is kind of a shoddy number, 7 looks absolutely hilarious and 8 is just magnificent.

7's a total badass actually. So bad, because seven ate nine!

↑ Up to the top!