Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Unicomp Keyboards Rule
Unicomp Keyboards Rule
2009-09-17, 10:47 AM #1
My USB Unicomp keyboard just came in the mail. I recently got a new job and I work from home 2x per week. It makes it easy to keep everything on my laptop, which is a crappy macbook with a crappy mac keyboard which lacks a real [Delete]*key, a number pad, print screen, pg up/down, End, etc. Since I will be using it fairly often I wanted to use my Unicomp mechanical key keyboard, but of course I bought it almost a decade ago and it has a mini ps2 connector. So I ordered a new one (space saver, which is cool) that has a USB connector. This thing totally rules.

There was a thread recently and someone linked to a mechanical keyboard on newegg for ~40 bucks with free shipping. When I added it to my cart, though, the price raised up to 45 and no free shipping, so I decided to just splurge and get the unicomp. Totally worth it, now I can type fast on the mac (at least when I'm at home).
2009-09-17, 10:51 AM #2
How does the Saint John's Arms key work?
2009-09-17, 10:54 AM #3
Yeah, Unicomp keyboards look really great. I always liked typing on my old Model M.

I also rather liked the Sun workstation keyboards that RIT had in the CS labs. The layouts were whacky and annoying, but the feel of the keys for typing was wonderful.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-17, 11:10 AM #4
Originally posted by Steven:
How does the Saint John's Arms key work?

Um what?
2009-09-17, 11:11 AM #5
2009-09-17, 11:28 AM #6
Oh, when I'm actually using the mac os, it just automatically maps the windows key to the mac key, so it's virtually the same. But usually I'm in a linux or windows vm doing development or malware analysis.
2009-09-17, 11:33 AM #7
I bought one of those flexible folding rubber/silicone keyboards - it's pretty cool, and I can roll it up and stick it in my laptop bag.
2009-09-17, 12:02 PM #8
I bought a mouse yesterday and at Staples they had those things on sale for 10 bucks. Seemed more annoying to type on than the mac keyboard.
2009-09-17, 12:08 PM #9
I love the macbook keyboard! :(

(ok, apart from when I need a number pad)
2009-09-17, 12:10 PM #10
The flexible keyboard was bit annoying at first, but once I realized I could POUND on the keys and it's wouldn't hurt my fingers nor make an obnoxious noise, I (and my coworkers) loved it. I also like the fact that it's flat (meaning, the back end isn't raise up higher than the front).
2009-09-17, 1:35 PM #11
I was the one who linked to that other mechanical keyboard and I share your love for mechanical keyboards. I did not get the Unicomp because I do have some stubbornness for style and unfortunately the white one didn't match the color scheme of the rest of my system and the black ones didn't have numbe rpads :( But I really do love the heavy spring feel they have.
一个大西瓜
2009-09-17, 1:54 PM #12
Originally posted by Pommy:
I was the one who linked to that other mechanical keyboard and I share your love for mechanical keyboards. I did not get the Unicomp because I do have some stubbornness for style and unfortunately the white one didn't match the color scheme of the rest of my system and the black ones didn't have numbe rpads :( But I really do love the heavy spring feel they have.

Actually, just click space saver on their site and you can get a black one with a number pad. That's what I got. The keys are gray though, I'm not quite sure why they did that. It looks better in person than in their pictures but not as cool as black on black.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104bl.html

The space saver ones are just like the originals except they don't have all the extra plastic around the outside, but the keys/switches are exactly the same.
2009-09-17, 7:06 PM #13
WHERE IS MY LCARS KEYBOARD!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-09-17, 8:13 PM #14
Model M for life.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-09-17, 8:39 PM #15
Originally posted by gbk:
Model M for life.

So, just for the record, model m is exactly what this keyboard is. Unicomp owns the rights to produce them, they are just like the old ones (you can get one with windows keys, if you want).
2009-09-17, 8:50 PM #16
Exactly the same? Detachable cable? Removable key caps? Classic IBM logo in upper corner?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-09-18, 6:46 AM #17
I've an old IBM Model F 84-key keyboard, and I must say, typing on it is beautiful...
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-09-18, 7:35 AM #18
Hahaha that's an XT keyboard :XD:
2009-09-18, 8:55 AM #19
Originally posted by gbk:
Exactly the same? Detachable cable? Removable key caps? Classic IBM logo in upper corner?

I see what you did there. You listed stupid features that nobody cares about. They sell the replacement cables so they probably sell keyboards with detachable cables, but the ones I have don't have that. Of course there's no ibm logo. What do you mean by removable key caps? Does that help me type better?
2009-09-18, 9:06 AM #20
On the IBM Model M keyboards, they keys had caps for each letter that were removable. I'm not sure why, other than that you could change the apparent layout. It would be useful if you wanted to learn dvorak...
2009-09-18, 9:54 AM #21
This doesn't appear to have that. However, when you order, you can have your keyboard customized/programmed however you want.
2009-09-18, 2:34 PM #22
Originally posted by Emon:
Hahaha that's an XT keyboard :XD:

Nope, it's an AT. The 83-key is XT, the 84-key is AT.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!

↑ Up to the top!