Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tales of Monkey Island Ep 1 free for Talk like a Pirate Day
Tales of Monkey Island Ep 1 free for Talk like a Pirate Day
2009-09-17, 3:11 PM #1
Show Guybrush Threepwood some love...

http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

Review of Episode 1 "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal";

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=tmi1
jp-30's JK Star Wars skin pack (wth short Ewok & Jawa)
2009-09-17, 4:31 PM #2
Awesome!

I wish they'd release the first two Monkey Island games for free though.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-09-17, 4:45 PM #3
You can get the first one, The Secret of Monkey Island (with updated graphics (and a toggle to original graphics for old school grumps) full voice and re-recorded orchestral score) for a wallet busting $5

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/
2009-09-17, 5:54 PM #4
This automaticly makes you awesome.
2009-09-18, 10:40 AM #5
Yeah, I saw that. Problem is I don't have Steam, and also, I don't have a credit card which makes paying for stuff online difficult. I checked out Paypal but it was confusing to me.
2009-09-18, 12:08 PM #6
Most major credit card companies allow you to buy gift cards which work just like the credit cards.

Or you can give mom/dad/guardian the money in cash in exchange for using their credit card (supervised if they want).

2009-09-18, 3:32 PM #7
It's not available yet? It's been talk like a pirate day for hours here!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-18, 4:07 PM #8
Good idea. Unfortunately, no one I know uses a credit card. They're not as widely used here as in the US.

Anyway, judging from the countdown at the site, it looks like it isn't the nineteenth until it is in GMT-1. God knows why.

And I'm in GMT +2 at the moment so that's a little under two hours for me now.

[edit]Nevermind, that clock is weird. It says 1:07 now. (Only works for me when refreshing) That's just weird.[/edit]
2009-09-18, 5:34 PM #9
You can get Tales of Monkey Island episode 1 now for free. And you don't need a credit card.

http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate/thanks

Be quick, only about 23 more hours to go...
2009-09-18, 5:41 PM #10
I'm downloading, but I didn't even enter my e-mail... heh.
2009-09-18, 5:52 PM #11
Thanks for the tip!

ORJ, you're going to need to give them your e-mail so the game unlocks.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-19, 1:58 PM #12
Does anyone actually use the serial number?

I just logged on, it never asked me anywhere to input the key they gave me via email.
2009-09-19, 3:15 PM #13
It registers the game with the e-mail address you put in, so you don't have to.

The key is for proof of purchase probably.

Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
I'm downloading, but I didn't even enter my e-mail... heh.

Congratulations, hope you enjoy the demo. :downs:

2009-09-19, 3:27 PM #14
I think you can still get one of the (new) Sam and Max games for free on Steam...
2009-09-19, 3:46 PM #15
What I'm trying to say is: it never asked for my e-mail.

It took me straight to the download. =/

I registered afterwards though.

Hm, the file size is 193 Mb.
2009-09-19, 5:08 PM #16
I just finished the first episode. This was my first experience with Telltale's reimagining of a Lucasarts franchise and I have to say I was pretty dang impressed. At this rate I'll probably be buying all of the Sam & Max episodes as well as the rest of the available Monkey Island eps.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-09-19, 5:37 PM #17
Sweet - Telltale has of a bunch of ex-LucasArts employees working for them, so they know what they're doing with those franchises. The company was founded when LucasArts laid off a bunch of people after cancelling Sam & Max Freelance Police.

Steve Purcell's consultant for the 2 Sam & Max seasons. The Sam & Max episodes in season 1 take a couple to really hit their stride, but they lay the seeds of the over-arching episode plot.
2009-09-19, 6:05 PM #18
Do I have to download it today, or register it today as well? The timer says I have 6 hours left, and I'm leaving it to download while I go to sleep. Sleeping less than 6 hours tends to result in mass privatisation and violent responses to miner's strikes, so out of principle I sleep much more.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-09-19, 9:16 PM #19
Originally posted by Vin:
I think you can still get one of the (new) Sam and Max games for free on Steam...

Abe Lincoln Must Die.
2009-09-20, 2:45 AM #20
That's a brilliant episode, but it does sort of pay to play the earlier ones first. Each episode is standalone, but there is an overarching season-wide sub-plot.

Mind you, you can play Abe Lincoln Must Die, then go back to the earlier episodes without too much worry.
2009-09-20, 2:59 AM #21
It won't run on VMWare Fusion :(

I have a valid license though at least
2009-09-20, 11:24 AM #22
Originally posted by JP-30:
That's a brilliant episode, but it does sort of pay to play the earlier ones first. Each episode is standalone, but there is an overarching season-wide sub-plot.

Mind you, you can play Abe Lincoln Must Die, then go back to the earlier episodes without too much worry.

A friend bought me the finale of season 2 for my birthday, absolutely fantastic.
Really made me feel like buying the rest, but it costs $ and I only have 1/2$
2009-09-20, 1:16 PM #23
Originally posted by Martyn:
It won't run on VMWare Fusion :(

I have a valid license though at least

Some people have managed it...

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9700
2009-09-20, 2:24 PM #24
Ooo thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye on that.

↑ Up to the top!