Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Johns Hopkins student kills burglar with katana
Johns Hopkins student kills burglar with katana
2009-09-18, 10:09 AM #1
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-md.samurai16sep16,0,114199.story?page=1

My first reaction was :carl: (just at the unusualness of the situation, not as a judgment of the kid's actions)

Also the way the article was written and the quote "He's not a ninja" is :carl:
一个大西瓜
2009-09-18, 10:16 AM #2
Sounds messy.
woot!
2009-09-18, 10:25 AM #3
Hey that's right up the street!

At least a baltimore murder is in the news that ISN'T about drugs!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-18, 10:35 AM #4
How could this guy possibly be charged for anything? He was defending himself.

I love our legal system :carl:
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-18, 10:37 AM #5
Sweet.

Quote:
"Rice, of the 600 block of East 27th St. in Baltimore, had 29 prior convictions for crimes such as breaking and entering"

Good riddance.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-09-18, 11:00 AM #6
More proof that we need stricter sword control in this country.
Warhead[97]
2009-09-18, 11:03 AM #7
Originally posted by Onimusha:
How could this guy possibly be charged for anything? He was defending himself.

Well, you don't really know that. He could have become aggressive when the force wasn't necessary. That doesn't appear to be the case, and I'd be very surprised if he gets charged. Especially when killing someone who is a repeat offender that just got out of jail. I mean, chances that the guy was about to lunge at his throat or pull a knife are pretty high.

You have to be wondering what the perp was thinking. "Hey, that guy has a gigantic sword, I know, I'LL CHARGE HIM! :downs:"
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-18, 11:03 AM #8
I've got a sword above my computer right now (brother's), although it won't be cutting off anyone's hand without some work.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-09-18, 11:05 AM #9
I imagine a dull katana would still be useful in self defense... The blade may not be sharp enough for a proper strike to cut, but swing it like a baseball bat and it'll crack bones easily with that kind of localized impact.
2009-09-18, 11:09 AM #10
I think you're overestimating the weight of a katana.. they're like 3 pounds at most.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-09-18, 11:13 AM #11
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I think you're overestimating the weight of a katana.. they're like 3 pounds at most.

If it's a dull blade it's likely a cheap ornamental sword which would weigh far more than an actual "battle ready" one.
2009-09-18, 11:25 AM #12
What a bad ***.
2009-09-18, 11:25 AM #13
The concern is not the weapon, but the fact that, rather than call the police and wait half an hour for them to show up while the guy steals all his stuff, he chose to pick up a lethal weapon and confront the man directly.

Also, who needs a katana when you can have one of these?
Attachment: 22687/1911.jpg (40,604 bytes)
2009-09-18, 11:46 AM #14
Well many college campuses, like Hopkins, don't allow you to carry or even possess / store on campus property. But evidently they allow swords.
一个大西瓜
2009-09-18, 12:01 PM #15
Early one morning while living in the dorms at DePaul, I came out of my room to yell at some drunk dudes running up and down the hallways. The angry Taiwanese kid a door down from me came out of his room with his bamboo training sword and decked one of the kids, swears some in Taiwanese and slams his door behind him.

The kid was actually knocked out and they had to get an ambulance. The Taiwanese kid never got in trouble either, which I still don't understand. He scared the **** out of me and this kept me very quiet.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-18, 12:16 PM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:

I don't mean using it as a blunt club, you would still strike with the edge. Swing it fast enough and you're still delivering a great amount of force to a very small area (the width of the edge) which could break vulnerable bones easily (arms, head, shins).

I didn't mean to suggest it would be a useful weapon in general, only that in a pinch, it might be enough to fend someone off.
2009-09-18, 12:23 PM #17
El oh el nice edit
一个大西瓜
2009-09-18, 12:24 PM #18
For posterity's sake my old post was like:

It doesn't have to be. You swing it fast. f=ma remember

I mean f = mv lol
2009-09-18, 2:07 PM #19
Of course they wait to the second-to-last paragraph on the last page to tell you the guy had 29 priors. Apparently the reporter thought describing the sword was more important.
2009-09-18, 4:12 PM #20
Why not? Swords are cool, especially a katana.
2009-09-18, 5:56 PM #21
I was under the impression that under the law, someone who enters your property unauthorized with hostile intent was fair game to being shot/stabbed/killed in defense?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-18, 6:12 PM #22
It from varies form district to district.
2009-09-18, 6:17 PM #23
Originally posted by Steven:
It from varies form district to district.

Yep.
woot!
2009-09-18, 6:19 PM #24
Way to helpful, JLee.
2009-09-18, 6:39 PM #25
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
More proof that we need stricter sword control in this country.

Swords don't kill people, People with swords kill people.
2009-09-18, 9:56 PM #26
no, the injuries caused by swords kill people.

>.> <.<
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-18, 10:28 PM #27
Since we blame GTA for gun crimes, can I blame Assassin's Creed for sword violence?
2009-09-18, 10:30 PM #28
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
Since we blame GTA for gun crimes, can I blame Assassin's Creed for sword violence?

Nah, there's a katana in GTA, as well.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-18, 10:52 PM #29
I have a dull short sword. Has some decent weight to it so, I could give someone a good smack with it and break a limb. The fact that I'm not exactly a little man doesn't hurt either.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-09-19, 1:23 PM #30
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Nah, there's a katana in GTA, as well.

also giant purple dildos
2009-09-19, 3:47 PM #31
Oh god, SOMEONE WARN THE DUTCH.
nope.
2009-09-19, 11:31 PM #32
Originally posted by Onimusha:
I was under the impression that under the law, someone who enters your property unauthorized with hostile intent was fair game to being shot/stabbed/killed in defense?

This actually won't matter. There's a common-law defense to murder in Maryland if you can prove that your killing was wicked awesome.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-09-19, 11:50 PM #33
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Early one morning while living in the dorms at DePaul, I came out of my room to yell at some drunk dudes running up and down the hallways. The angry Taiwanese kid a door down from me came out of his room with his bamboo training sword and decked one of the kids, swears some in Taiwanese and slams his door behind him.

The kid was actually knocked out and they had to get an ambulance. The Taiwanese kid never got in trouble either, which I still don't understand. He scared the **** out of me and this kept me very quiet.

oh god, i remember you telling me this earlier in the summer, **** yes hilarious
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!

↑ Up to the top!