Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What should I have for dinner tonight
What should I have for dinner tonight
2009-09-19, 4:39 PM #1
Or rather, what did you or are you have/ing for dinner tonight
一个大西瓜
2009-09-19, 4:41 PM #2
I had spaghetti aglio e olio. The anchovies turned out to be bad (expired 2002), so I tried using capers+worcestershire sauce instead. It came out alright.
:master::master::master:
2009-09-19, 4:42 PM #3
I had half a dodgy shepherds pie ready meal.

I actually despise ready meals but I'm ill and couldn't be bothered to cook. :P
nope.
2009-09-19, 4:45 PM #4
i'll probably have a can of soup or chili
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-19, 4:55 PM #5
I had planned on some baked mostaccioli, but I'm a bit under the weather and lazy, so now I'm having soup.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-19, 5:20 PM #6
homemade chicken soup.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-19, 7:05 PM #7
Rocks.

Sautéed in a little bit of mud.
2009-09-19, 7:20 PM #8
Originally posted by Steven:
Rocks.

Sautéed in a little bit of mud.

That woman of yours is quite the cook. :v:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-09-19, 7:21 PM #9
Well, she's cute, and I am sure she has other qualities too.
2009-09-19, 8:33 PM #10
Eggplants stew over rice. Sounds much less appetizing then "Khoresht e Bademjan".

That and another dish are things I can subsist on for eternity.

Might as well post the recipe because I know it by heart. And in case anyone wants to actually make it, which I encourage. Also, recipes online are crap, as is true for most Persian food.

1 large eggplant, cut into strips (should be the same volume as the steak)
2 lbs flank steak, cubed
15 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
4 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp cinnamon
Cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf

Skin and slice eggplants, cover with salt, leave in strainer for 30-60 min. After they get dehydrated a bit, pat dry with paper towels to also get salt off.

Fry onions in olive oil till transparent, then add half the crushed garlic and spices, and fry for about a second. Then add the steak and fry until browned. Add in tomato sauce, paste, chicken broth, the rest of the garlic, and the bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, covered for about 45 min. Stir occasionally.

During this time, fry eggplants on skillet with minimal oil. They will blacken a slight bit. Cook each strip for about 3 minutes a side. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350. After simmer, bring meat sauce back to medium-high and cook for 15 min, stirring frequently. When done, pour meat sauce into large baking disk, then cover with eggplants, and then cover the eggplant with sliced tomatoes. Cover with tin foil.

Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover, bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve over basmati rice. Makes 8 servings.
2009-09-20, 1:10 AM #11
I had a hamburger w/ sprouts at Dempsey's Pub in Lawrence, KS. Never been there before, but had heard good things. It was quite nice. The weather in Lawrence was beautiful this evening, mid 60s, clear...
2009-09-20, 5:49 AM #12
I had a cheeseburger on rosemary focaccia with some very nice seasoned fries. I wasn't a fan of the focaccia with my burger. It was too dry.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-09-20, 8:33 AM #13
My wife & I along with another couple went to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown, Kentucky. We were originally going to go to the Talbot Tavern for dinner but we ended up just going there for drinks (bourbon, of course) after we ate some gyros at a booth & listened to some music. All of the major Kentucky bourbon manufacturers had booths set up where you could sample bourbon or purchase goods. I bought some hand-rolled cigars, some maple fudge & some bourbon ball ice cream.
? :)
2009-09-20, 8:47 AM #14
Your mom.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-09-22, 4:44 PM #15
my cell phone camera doesn't quite capture the deliciousness
Attachment: 22706/IMG_0792.JPG (803,097 bytes)
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-22, 4:47 PM #16
Originally posted by Lord Kuat:
Eggplant recipe

I've only ever had eggplant Parmesan, does the eggplant itself taste the same/similar in other stuff?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-09-22, 5:36 PM #17
2009-09-22, 5:39 PM #18
I had some roasted turkey and gravy, with red potatoes and carrots.

Right now, I am eating triscuits and hot sause, with a side of a lot of beer watching the DVD of season 2 TSCC.
2009-09-22, 5:43 PM #19
Good, fresh eggplant has little flavor. It'd almost describe it as "soft" or "smooth," creamy almost.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-22, 7:02 PM #20
That's texture, not flavor.

annendum:
But I agree, eggplant doesn't have very much flavor, except for a slight bitterness. If the liquid is cooked out or brought out by salt, most of the bitterness can be removed. While it may not seem like it, eggplant holds a lot of water, and thus takes a long time to cook if not prepared beforehand.
:master::master::master:
2009-09-22, 7:14 PM #21
I know it's texture but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-22, 8:31 PM #22
pussy

↑ Up to the top!