Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → KotOR, worth $10?
KotOR, worth $10?
2009-09-22, 12:53 PM #1
I haven't played it, and I'm on a star wars buzz right now (playing through JA and loving it since I never got to play it before...). So, is it worth $10? (Steam?)
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-22, 12:54 PM #2
Yup
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-22, 12:56 PM #3
yes.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-09-22, 1:13 PM #4
I don't get it, is this a rhetorical question?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-09-22, 1:17 PM #5
Hah, well I guess I will be buying it once I finish JA.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-22, 1:32 PM #6
Absolutely.
2009-09-22, 1:35 PM #7
It's probably the best Star Wars game I've played.
幻術
2009-09-22, 1:46 PM #8
It wasn't my cup of tea, but yeah it's a pretty solid game.
nope.
2009-09-22, 2:45 PM #9
Besides DF, JK and the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series, it's the best Star Wars game in existence. It's arguably better than any of those, too.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-22, 2:50 PM #10
Worth $10 and then some.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-09-22, 3:55 PM #11
Worth it, although if you want it cheaper, I saw there was a 25% off KoToR promotional code on D2D. Just search for Direct2drive promotional codes.
2009-09-22, 4:04 PM #12
kotor is worth 10 of these things you call dollars yes.

Kotor 2 im not sure, since it borked at the end and got messy with the storyline
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-09-22, 4:13 PM #13
Originally posted by Ruthven:
kotor is worth 10 of these things you call dollars yes.

Kotor 2 im not sure, since it borked at the end and got messy with the storyline

Oh... don't get me started. I wanted to rant on KOTOR2, as I've been playing it recently... and yes. ITS DEPRESSING.

KOTOR 1 was an EXCELLENT GAME, however... what the hell happened with KOTOR 2?

For starters...

The graphics in KOTOR 1 are superior to the graphics in KOTOR 2. I've never seen a sequel to a video game have inferior graphics.

KOTOR 1 is a very stable game, KOTOR 2 on the other hand is littered with bugs that ruined my game experience. Such as the character randomly freezing up when hitting a dead body or wall in a wrong position. Sometimes, the story was revealed in a non logical order. Everyone was talking about Malachor V as if I knew what the hell it was, and the respones also suggested I knew what it was. However later on in the game, I was given a better idea from it, and THEN I found out what the hell this Malachor business was all about. It also messes around with story as Ruthven says, in a not very nice fashion, it also poses more questions than it answers.

KOTOR 2 is a game that needs to be remade. KOTOR 1 is game that you must have.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-22, 4:40 PM #14
I still haven't actually completed KoTOR.

Got up to the very last fight and concluded "there is no way whatsoever I can win as I am, outside of cheating".

So I left it there.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-09-22, 4:42 PM #15
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
what the hell happened with KOTOR 2?

It was booted out the door early. Even I know that.
nope.
2009-09-22, 4:44 PM #16
Originally posted by - Tony -:
I still haven't actually completed KoTOR.

Got up to the very last fight and concluded "there is no way whatsoever I can win as I am, outside of cheating".

So I left it there.

This happened to my friend Andrew. He ended up replaying the game with a character that was specifically designed to beat the end boss and then just destroyed him.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-09-22, 5:11 PM #17
Does the PC version still have the notorious glitches and bugs?

I have KotOR but I haven't installed it yet.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-22, 5:14 PM #18
I built a terrible character my first time through KotOR and had to run around throwing sticky grenades at Malak in order to beat him. That's the only part of the game that really punishes you for a bad build.

But yeah, worth it, best Star Wars game I've ever played, etc.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-09-22, 7:41 PM #19
Sometimes, the story was revealed in a non logical order. Everyone was talking about Malachor V as if I knew what the hell it was, and the respones also suggested I knew what it was. However later on in the game, I was given a better idea from it, and THEN I found out what the hell this Malachor business was all about. It also messes around with story as Ruthven says, in a not very nice fashion, it also poses more questions than it answers.

Did you have the same problem with KotOR and the Revan plot line?
2009-09-22, 7:59 PM #20
Shoot... I had KotOR but had to reformat right before I beat it the first time around, and lost my save game. Started a new game a while back, but never got around to finishing that one either. I should boot it up and play again.

But yes, it's worth 10 bucks.
2009-09-22, 8:19 PM #21
what the hell happened with KOTOR 2?

lucasarts put the pressure on the developers to finish the game so they rushed and we get a half a solid game followed by a mess
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-22, 8:27 PM #22
does the new version on steam actually work with current drivers? i remember playing through kotor a year or so ago and i had to downgrade my drivers to get things working right.

if the case is that current drivers work it might be worth purchasing again.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-09-22, 9:08 PM #23
Wow, I thought I was the only idiot who didn't actually complete the game because the last battle was impossible.

Hopefully next playthrough I'll get to the end and finish him off.
2009-09-22, 9:28 PM #24
last battle was not impossible... i did it on my first try and i usually fail hard at RPGs
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-22, 9:37 PM #25
Remember to keep a just-after-taris save file so you can play the game again without suffering through that crap.
2009-09-22, 9:51 PM #26
Originally posted by landfish:
does the new version on steam actually work with current drivers? i remember playing through kotor a year or so ago and i had to downgrade my drivers to get things working right.

Huh? I thought the KoTOR version on Steam is the same exact game as the retail.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-22, 10:16 PM #27
Yes, it is.
I wish I kept a post-taris save file, that is all that's stopping me from restarting.
I refuse to use someone elses save, because then it breaks MAH IMMERSION.
2009-09-23, 1:02 AM #28
Originally posted by LividDK:
Did you have the same problem with KotOR and the Revan plot line?

No? Why would it bother me, it was perfectly developed and revealed. Unlike KOTOR 2 that is randomly showing random bits of the story, making no sense most of the time.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-23, 5:07 AM #29
Nevermind. When I posted that last night I was under the impression that it had been done with a similar plot device in both stories. The more I try to remember of KotOR the more I realise it wasn't the case. As in, people actually did talk about Revan and the stuff he/she did. The thing is, while KotOR 2 was quite obviously rushed I never felt confused by it, it just ended weakly compared to what it could have all lead up to.
2009-09-23, 7:39 AM #30
I need to finish KotOR 2. I beat 1.

2009-09-23, 7:47 AM #31
Well, you can't actually finish KotOR 2 no matter what you do.

Also, I decided to play through KotoR 1 and 2 again after the restoration pack for 2 would be released... it's been a long wait.
2009-09-23, 8:05 AM #32
Honestly? I loved the expanded mechanics for customisation in KotOR 2, even if the game was barely playable otherwise.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-09-23, 8:19 AM #33
The mechanics in 2 were great. Item customizability was wonderful and there were a ton of special items. I thought KotOR 2 was great, just incomplete.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-23, 9:07 AM #34
Originally posted by Emon:
The mechanics in 2 were great. Item customizability was wonderful and there were a ton of special items. I thought KotOR 2 was great, just incomplete.

This.
2009-09-24, 12:32 AM #35
KotOR 2 had the potential of being much better than KotOR 1. IMO the character developement was much better. I liked that you were actually able to really influence the characters.
It's really a shame that it was never finished.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-09-24, 12:19 PM #36
Kotor 2 wasnt as bad as many think. You were playing a jedi who'd gone to war and come back something different. You were basically a jedi who'd used a truly hideous weapon of mass destruction and killed countless enemies and allies alike.

The characters were pretty good too, an evil wookiee, a traitor, a women driven almost mad by the force.

↑ Up to the top!