Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity
2009-09-24, 12:38 PM #1
I'm going to a midnight test screening of this movie. Wish me luck.

"After watching the spooky movie, a "Blair Witch"-style haunted-house tale, the door to Spielberg's bedroom locked itself from the inside and the filmmaker had to call a locksmith to get out. The next day he's said to have been so scared he immediately brought the DVD back to the DreamWorks offices in a garbage bag."

Here are some snippets from reviews.

"If you think horror movies can't scare you, if you think modern horror has nothing more to offer, try sitting through "Paranormal Activity" and then thank the filmmakers for changing your mind..."

"It's one of the scariest movies of all-time. YOU WILL BE AFFECTED as it's hard to ignore the imprint it leaves on your psyche. You know it's fake, and yet, you can't shake it. Nightmares are guaranteed."

"It's effective as hell and is a prime example of how to win an audience over and keep their attention in a highly constrained, claustrophobic atmosphere in the most unpretentious way possible."
Think while it's still legal.
2009-09-24, 2:49 PM #2
Originally posted by SAJN:
I'm going to a midnight test screening of this movie. Wish me luck.

"After watching the spooky movie, a "Blair Witch"-style haunted-house tale, the door to Spielberg's bedroom locked itself from the inside and the filmmaker had to call a locksmith to get out. The next day he's said to have been so scared he immediately brought the DVD back to the DreamWorks offices in a garbage bag."

Well that's a good marketing story! :v:

Have fun dude. I'd like to see it too.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-09-24, 2:54 PM #3
Never heard of it, but apparently it's been sitting around since 2007. Hopefully that doesn't mean it sucks.
2009-09-24, 3:10 PM #4
You know what's funny? Every door I've seen unlocks from the inside.

2009-09-24, 3:14 PM #5
Locks with keys can be locked from the outside!
nope.
2009-09-24, 3:26 PM #6
Originally posted by SiliconC:
Never heard of it, but apparently it's been sitting around since 2007. Hopefully that doesn't mean it sucks.

Maybe they were too scared to release it.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-24, 7:01 PM #7
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Locks with keys can be locked from the outside!

My point is they can be unlocked WITHOUT keys from the INSIDE.

Unless it's like a very old house or something.

2009-09-24, 7:06 PM #8
Why would you call a locksmith for a door in your own house? Just kick the door out if you can't get it open, or have a friend come over and unlock it.
2009-09-24, 7:13 PM #9
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Why would you call a locksmith for a door in your own house? Just kick the door out if you can't get it open, or have a friend come over and unlock it.

not everyone has a friend with keys, and you would have to call a locksmith if you kicked you door open anyway (to repair the lock at least, or possibly replace it depending on how much damage you did)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-24, 7:23 PM #10
Most doors are wood with wood door frames, most locks are made of metal. Yeah, you're not going to damage the lock if you break the door open, at least not as much as you're going to damage the door or frame. A carpenter would be a better choice to call for cleanup.

Then again TV taught me everything I know about how doors break open so meh. What do I know.

2009-09-24, 7:24 PM #11
Why is it that Cinemark has no information on this movie or showtimes? It's a huge movie theater chain in half of America and yet they aren't showing it? Is this an independent film?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-09-24, 7:50 PM #12
if you have a lock that goest into the frame and inside the door itself instead of something attached to it, you will probably need a locksmith to reinstall the lock properly (that is if you dont damage it kicking it open)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-09-24, 7:55 PM #13
from personal experience, if you kick a door open, usually it's the door jamb that will break. Not the lock or the door.

(note: I've nevewr kicked a door open, but there's been situations that have happened with people I know.)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-09-24, 8:50 PM #14
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
from personal experience, if you kick a door open, usually it's the door jamb that will break. Not the lock or the door.

(note: I've nevewr kicked a door open, but there's been situations that have happened with people I know.)

This. And even if it did, it's not exactly rocket science to just buy a new knob/latch/lock for the door and install it. Sure would be cheaper than a locksmith too.
2009-09-24, 9:42 PM #15
So yeah how bout that movie
2009-09-25, 12:24 AM #16
Trailer is ****ing scary!!! Lets hope it doesn't end there.
\(='_'=)/
2009-09-25, 3:16 AM #17
Originally posted by Vin:
So yeah how bout that movie

heh, i srsly read this and thought to myself "huh? what movie?"
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-09-25, 3:24 AM #18
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
This. And even if it did, it's not exactly rocket science to just buy a new knob/latch/lock for the door and install it. Sure would be cheaper than a locksmith too.

rich people dont generally fix **** themselves

o.0
2009-09-25, 7:57 AM #19
I can't believe most of this thread was talking about an obvious attempt at generating hype with a big-named celebrity. :P
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-09-25, 8:34 AM #20
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
My point is they can be unlocked WITHOUT keys from the INSIDE.

Unless it's like a very old house or something.

I've never actually been in a house that had locks on the inner doors apart from the bathroom.

I associate that sort of thing more with schools and government buildings. :P
nope.
2009-09-25, 9:38 AM #21
Even if the original story was a publicity stunt- I don'd doubt that it happened.

That movie was terrifying and everyone of my friends who went (about 20+ people) agreed that it was by far the scariest film we'd ever seen. Luckily the theater was packed because there is no way in hell I could watch that movie alone.
Think while it's still legal.
2009-09-26, 5:19 PM #22
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Why is it that Cinemark has no information on this movie or showtimes? It's a huge movie theater chain in half of America and yet they aren't showing it? Is this an independent film?

I think it is. It has a very very limited release. The movie is really good judging by critics and casual movie goer reviews.

Quote:
That movie was terrifying and everyone of my friends who went (about 20+ people) agreed that it was by far the scariest film we'd ever seen. Luckily the theater was packed because there is no way in hell I could watch that movie alone.

I hear most of the scare comes at night when the couple is sleeping. What exactly happens that makes it so scary? Is it merely because of the suspense and apprehension of what's going to happen next?
2009-09-26, 5:21 PM #23
and then
you die
2009-09-26, 5:43 PM #24
It looks like The Blair Witch Project but they were too lazy to leave the house. However, that said, when I was young the Blair Witch Project still scared me for about a week.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |

↑ Up to the top!