Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 5-year-old boy kills 12-foot gator
5-year-old boy kills 12-foot gator
2009-10-01, 12:16 PM #1
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/10/01/boy.vs.alligator.KTRE

Gangsta
一个大西瓜
2009-10-01, 12:19 PM #2
I'd like to say that not everyone in Texas gives their children guns...
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-01, 12:24 PM #3
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I'd like to say that not everyone in Texas gives their children guns...

hahahaha. ok sure
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-01, 12:40 PM #4
I guess I'd feel better about it if it was in self-defense. However, wtf do you hunt alligators for? Food? Skin? Profit?
2009-10-01, 12:42 PM #5
Humans: the dominant species for a reason
Stuff
2009-10-01, 1:02 PM #6
I thought gator hunting was illegal.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-01, 1:03 PM #7
People eat alligators. It's supposed to be pretty good.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-01, 2:17 PM #8
that couldve turned bad on him fast, imagine if he failed, there would be a great irrational crocodile hunt
2009-10-01, 4:03 PM #9
I'd feel out of line killing something that much bigger than me. Without that pithy gun, the kid would be snackfood. This would only be a cool story if the alligator were about to eat him. Anyone can aim and shoot.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-01, 4:48 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Anyone can aim and shoot.

You're extremely stupid and have obviously never fired a large caliber gun before.
2009-10-01, 4:56 PM #11
My point has nothing to do with the gun's caliber or the difficulty in shooting the animal. If he can shoot a small crock, he can presumably shoot and kill a big crock. I feel it's incidental what the size of the animal he killed was. Now if he fought a 12 foot gator brandishing a tommy-gun, I'd be more impressed.

Oh, and you're dumb lol
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-01, 5:01 PM #12
So who's the youngest kid to have ever fired a gun and killed an animal. Is it this kid?
2009-10-01, 5:20 PM #13
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
People eat alligators. It's supposed to be pretty good.

Fried Alligator is wonderful. It tastes like chicken, and is healthier for you. Of course, if it is fried, there isn't much difference in nutritional value.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-10-01, 9:20 PM #14
...thus proving once and for all that the most dangerous animal is...

the zookeeper.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-10-01, 9:27 PM #15
1. I can't watch the video, so my knowledge of this is what I've read in this thread. If any of this doesn't apply, I apologize in advance.

2. aligator and crocodile are not the same thing. irrelevant, i know, but still...

3. Kirbz, there's a lot more to it then just "Anyone can aim and shoot." Besides that statement being entirely untrue (there's sailors on our boat that can't hit a target at 5 yards. Ridiculous, I know, but there it is), there's a lot more to firing a gun than aim and shoot. We're not talking about a video game where you line up the crosshairs and click the mouse and the target goes down. Depending on the range, you have to factor in elevation and windage. You have to account for the caliber of the weapon. Even an adult holding even a low caliber weapon improperly can cause injury with the recoil, and being 5 years old makes that more of a possibility. Not to mention needing to know and understand the concepts of firearms and gun safety (I assume the kid's parents wouldn't have been stupid enough to let him hunt if he didn't grasp what he was doing). Hell, for a 5 year old, even just the weight of the gun could be an issue.

Anyway, in my mind, this speaks a pretty strong case towards teaching your kids guns and gun safety at a young age. Many people argue that it's more important to teach your kids how to handle weapons responsibly than to keep them locked away, and I tend to agree. The safest gun owner in the world can make a mistake one time and leave a weapon out or leave a cabinet unlocked, and it only takes that one time for his kid to come up and shoot his/herself or someone else. But if you teach the kid to respect the weapon, then he/she can police him/herself, and even when the gun owner does make that mistake it won't become a life threatening situation.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-01, 9:36 PM #16
Originally posted by Cloud:
So who's the youngest kid to have ever fired a gun and killed an animal. Is it this kid?

not a chance
2009-10-01, 9:37 PM #17
I don't know how it turned into a crock in my post...

And I'm sure it took a lot of talent, and I certainly don't know the first thing about killing an alligator. I just don't see it as all that significant that it was so big, or more difficult than shooting any other alligator/animal because of its size. I'm sure it might be less likely for the bullet to go in, I'm just annoyed that such a little thing gets credit for taking down such a big monster when size had little to do with the situation.

Read: I want the bigger thing to win, not the smarter thing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-01, 11:00 PM #18
Originally posted by Brian:
However, wtf do you hunt alligators for? Food? Skin? Profit?

All of the above.

Quote:
Fried Alligator is wonderful.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-10-02, 6:00 AM #19
The kid shot, it worked, great story in the newspaper. Crock was killed for no frickin' reason...

Lets assume:
The kid shot, it didn't work, child got eaten, parents started a campaign against crocks, couple of crocks dead for no frickin' reason...

AMIRITE?
2009-10-02, 6:42 AM #20
Alligator is thinking, "WTF did I just get killed by some freaking monkey? Seriously? It's a ****ing MAMMAL for Christ's sake!"
2009-10-02, 6:45 AM #21
Originally posted by need help:
The kid shot, it worked, great story in the newspaper. Crock was killed for no frickin' reason...

Lets assume:
The kid shot, it didn't work, child got eaten, parents started a campaign against crocks, couple of crocks dead for no frickin' reason...

AMIRITE?

Either way sounds like horrible parenting
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-10-02, 7:05 AM #22
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Not to mention needing to know and understand the concepts of firearms and gun safety (I assume the kid's parents wouldn't have been stupid enough to let him hunt if he didn't grasp what he was doing).

it's texas
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-02, 9:28 AM #23
good point. :o
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-02, 10:11 AM #24
I think he was just reinforcing your point.

Of course HE wasn't but his comment does.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!