Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK - Why only 31 force stars?
JK - Why only 31 force stars?
2009-10-04, 12:37 AM #1
Why on earth do they torment my O.C.D. by allowing you to get just ONE star shy of all of the neutral/dark or light powers? This is with getting EVERY "all-secrets" bonus.

I had read somewhere that playing on hard mode gave you one extra star on a certain level (uhh... makes no sense) ... but I even 100%'d it on Hard and still ended up with 1 star shy of being maxed.
2009-10-04, 12:40 AM #2
Specifically to piss you off, that's why.

Just kidding I don't know... I could never manage to find all the secrets anyway.

Also: Welcome to Massassi.
2009-10-04, 12:52 AM #3
I ate one.

Sorry.
woot!
2009-10-04, 1:05 AM #4
I don't know, usually there's a power you don't use or like to use very much... like force seeing.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-04, 1:10 AM #5
Does that even have any use outside of cloaked enemies and gimmicks in MotS?
also- sight.
2009-10-04, 1:12 AM #6
Force seeing makes enemies and items show up on the map, which sort of sometimes maybe can be useful.
2009-10-04, 3:12 AM #7
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
also- sight.

What?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-10-04, 5:11 AM #8
Originally posted by Vin:

Aye!

Hi :)
2009-10-04, 10:40 AM #9
Force seeing makes enemies and items show up on the map, which sort of sometimes maybe can be useful.

It was useful in JHS because of the atrocious level design.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-04, 10:46 AM #10
Jedi Knight stores the number of stars in a 6-bit integer. Thus, if you got more than 31 stars, the you would end up getting -31 stars and - trust me - you don't want to end up in the Force's pocket.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-04, 10:58 AM #11
Specifically to piss you off, that's why.

Just kidding I don't know... I could never manage to find all the secrets anyway.

Thank you.

Originally posted by JLee:
I ate one.

Sorry.

Pig!
2009-10-04, 11:07 AM #12
Originally posted by EmperorsDynasty:
Pig!

pfft, like I've never heard that before. :XD:
woot!
2009-10-04, 11:13 AM #13
ha! pun'd
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-10-04, 11:57 AM #14
(Hint: JLee is a cop in real life. Just to avoid confusion for the new guy.)
DO NOT WANT.
2009-10-04, 12:17 PM #15
Yeah I've read two FAQs that say the Cargo Ship (LVL 15) give two stars instead of 1 if you're on hard. - Never happened!
2009-10-04, 1:34 PM #16
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Jedi Knight stores the number of stars in a 6-bit integer. Thus, if you got more than 31 stars, the you would end up getting -31 stars and - trust me - you don't want to end up in the Force's pocket.

Is this a serious reply? I can't tell..
2009-10-04, 2:08 PM #17

This is only true if the first bit is used for plus or minus, other wise it could go up to 63.

BTW: I've never heard of a 6 bit integer. That's smaller than a byte. Sounds like a custom data type. In some languages, an integer is also a data type, composed of 4 bytes, each composed of 8 bits, thus 32 bits.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-04, 2:41 PM #18

This is VERY useful, especially in any kind of building map, where enemies can be right around you and you'll never know... except for the distance oriented sounds that ignore all physics involved in sound travel.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-04, 2:44 PM #19

No, it's not.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-04, 2:45 PM #20

Wouldn't a 6-bit integer have a range to -31 to 32? (-1 = b111111, -31 = b100001, 32 = b100000)
Not that 6-bit is entirely useful :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-04, 2:46 PM #21
No, it's not a serious reply. Avoiding the technobabble: it's possible to get more than 31 stars using cheat codes.

It's pretty cool that you're willing to admit that you don't know if he's being serious or not, though. :)

Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
This is only true if the first bit is used for plus or minus, other wise it could go up to 63.

BTW: I've never heard of a 6 bit integer. That's smaller than a byte. Sounds like a custom data type. In some languages, an integer is also a data type, composed of 4 bytes, each composed of 8 bits, thus 32 bits.
:nonono:

Edit:

Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Wouldn't a 6-bit integer have a range to -31 to 32? (-1 = b111111, -31 = b100001, 32 = b100000)
Backwards; -32 to 31
2009-10-04, 4:09 PM #22
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's pretty cool that you're willing to admit that you don't know if he's being serious or not, though. :)

is this a serious statement??
:master::master::master:
2009-10-04, 4:17 PM #23
Backwards; -32 to 31

Ah, k. When I'm using signed ints I'm usually never near the limits.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-04, 4:25 PM #24
The only way I can see that is if they used an unsigned 5-bit number (0-31 which makes more sense) but then what are they using the other 3 bits in the byte for? Why bother? Even back then that much memory conservation couldn't have been useful on PCs anymore.

It's more likely that there happen to be 32 available slots because each force power has 4 levels. 4 neutral, 4 dark, 4 light, and you get your choice of 8. And it happens to be one star short, probably to force you to pick between them.

2009-10-04, 5:57 PM #25
Oh, my god. Massassi is at it again. Taking threads that have potential to be interesting and making them boring as hell. :psyduck:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-10-04, 7:08 PM #26
Originally posted by stat:
is this a serious statement??

Yes. He is much, much better than SF_GoldG_01.

Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
The only way I can see that is if they used an unsigned 5-bit number (0-31 which makes more sense) but then what are they using the other 3 bits in the byte for? Why bother? Even back then that much memory conservation couldn't have been useful on PCs anymore.

Lots of JK data files use a full 32-bits for boolean values.
2009-10-04, 7:41 PM #27
Force Seeing:

Useful for:
1) Locating enemies (especially in Multiplayer)
2) Seeing in the dark (without using field light or IR goggles)
3) Seeing items (but who really cares, except it may help you find secret areas)

that's all I can think of.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-04, 8:28 PM #28
Lots of JK data files use a full 32-bits for boolean values.

Isn't the C bool an int, ie 32-bits? Or maybe that's just on some compilers?

2009-10-04, 8:35 PM #29

Those who know 'everything' know nothing!

...but yeah I find it strange because if they were going to force you to pick between things... I would think they would at least give you a more sensible number like... 28... where you could afford to put either 3 stars in of the four light or dark... or 4 stars in 3 of them.. something like that.

Just having ONE star shy is...annoying.
2009-10-04, 8:52 PM #30
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Isn't the C bool an int, ie 32-bits? Or maybe that's just on some compilers?
C doesn't have a bool type at all. Usually people write something similar using macros, in which case it's entirely up to the programmer. JK would have done this: they probably inherited the macros from Win32 API, which does specify a 32-bit BOOL.

The C++ specification doesn't mandate any particular size for bool. Modern versions of Visual C++ and GCC use 1-byte bools. Visual C++ 4.2, GCC 2 and Apple's fork of GCC use 4-byte bools (or 8-bytes in 64-bit.) However, the C++ specification does mandate that a bool should be packed in 1 bit when stored in a vector<bool>...
2009-10-04, 10:59 PM #31
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
also- sight.

Originally posted by Krokodile:
What?

Force Sight. The ability is called Force Sight.

↑ Up to the top!