Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 130W adapter vs 90W laptop
130W adapter vs 90W laptop
2009-10-04, 7:01 AM #1
Ok, so I recently got a free laptop for my PhD course, but the power adapter seems to have broken after only 2 days. This laptop is a Dell Latitude E5500 and uses a 90W adapter, but I also have an old Dell XPS Gen 2 which takes a 130W adapter. Both output the same voltage (19.5v), so is it safe to use the 130W adapter in the E5500? My theory is that it should only draw the current required (and not explode), but has anyone tried this? What will happen?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-04, 7:04 AM #2
Yes, it's fine. Also, contact dell and tell them to send you a new one.
2009-10-04, 8:37 AM #3
The only thing that can go wrong is if the XPS adapter outputs a higher amperage regardless of the power draw. It would be faulty, but it can cook a notebook DC jack.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-10-04, 9:15 AM #4
Hmm. If it was going to fail, it would've failed right at the start? I'm sitting with this 90W laptop charging by a 130W adapter, on my lap. It could explode, at any moment! Extreme nerdery!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-10-04, 9:57 AM #5
Originally posted by Yecti:
The only thing that can go wrong is if the XPS adapter outputs a higher amperage regardless of the power draw. It would be faulty, but it can cook a notebook DC jack.

itt geek squad electrical theory

It's fine.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-04, 11:31 AM #6

:suicide:
2009-10-04, 1:46 PM #7
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Hmm. If it was going to fail, it would've failed right at the start? I'm sitting with this 90W laptop charging by a 130W adapter, on my lap. It could explode, at any moment! Extreme nerdery!

Dell laptops are pretty good at detecting problems with the power supply right from the start. Usually it only warns you of too little power or if it's unable to identify it. I've never had them warn me of too much power.
2009-10-04, 2:09 PM #8
Originally posted by Alco:
Dell laptops are pretty good at detecting problems with the power supply right from the start. Usually it only warns you of too little power or if it's unable to identify it. I've never had them warn me of too much power.

Because if it supplied too much power it wouldn't be at 19.5 V anymore. :P
2009-10-05, 2:17 AM #9
[http://www.editinternational.com/images/gallery/05a-scotty_low.jpg]
ask this guy.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-05, 6:03 AM #10
Yes, but that guy would have been able to make a 65W charger work. Which, of course, would have been right after he told you that he couldn't do it because he just didn't have the power. :P
2009-10-05, 7:36 AM #11
Well, conclusion is that it certainly hasn't exploded, but when I boot into the Windows the Dell Configuration Utility moans and whines and says 'this adapter is not configured!!' and will run, but not charge. But I can always boot into Ubuntu and everything is fine.
2009-10-05, 11:04 PM #12

Ohm's law, bro [http://forums.massassi.net/html/emot-eng101-good.gif]

An adapter can only put out as much current as the load wants to draw from it. The wattage isn't how much power is always being provided by the adapter, its the maximum power that the adapter can output without damaging its components. If both adapters give the same voltage, they will both output the same current when connected to the same computer. As long as the product of that voltage and current is less than the power rating (P=IV) then its fine.

Also, you can't have a higher current output "regardless" of the power; they are directly proportional to each other.
*prepares for barrage of rotten fruit*

↑ Up to the top!