Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK won't start (even in windowed)
JK won't start (even in windowed)
2009-10-05, 4:50 PM #1
Hey guys, I downloaded JK off steam (before I read and found out that they hadn't fixed bugs on vista/windows 7), and my copy of Jedi Knight won't start in, even in windows mode, and I don't know what to do. When I try to start it, i see a black box come up, and in Task Manager I see manifestations of "Action Box", but the actual game won't start. Any help would be appreciated!
2009-10-05, 5:31 PM #2
Are you running Vista or 7?

2009-10-05, 9:45 PM #3
Sorry, Windows Vista Enterprise is what i'm running
2009-10-05, 9:46 PM #4
>Enterprise
Well, I think that could be the problem.
2009-10-05, 9:49 PM #5
Thanks that fixed it...
2009-10-05, 9:57 PM #6
Why are you running Enterprise, I know im not solving the problem in one fell swoop, but enterprise?
Try older drivers.
2009-10-05, 9:58 PM #7
Because it's whats on the PC's my university provides for us.
2009-10-05, 10:32 PM #8
Let me guess, It also has a starter level video card?
If it's integrated intel you're hosed.
2009-10-06, 8:00 AM #9
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
>Enterprise

Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
Thanks that fixed it...

:confused:

2009-10-06, 8:41 AM #10
>Enterprise

No, it couldn't. Where the hell did you even get that idea?

Let me guess, It also has a starter level video card?
If it's integrated intel you're hosed.

What? Why would it have an entry level video card just because it has Vista Enterprise? Vista Enterprise is a superset of Vista Business in terms of features.

Modern onboard Intel cards are pretty good and can run a lot of games from previous generations. In fact, they would probably be more successful at running JK than the latest nVidia and ATI cards.

Try the latest drivers for your video card. Maybe even try the 3D acceleration fix that's been posted here, on the chance that it'll fix any related issues that might be causing your problem.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-06, 1:12 PM #11
Yeah don't listen to TE here, I don't think he knows what he's talking about. My laptop has an integrated Intel video card and it runs JK just fine, with or without 3D acceleration turned on. (both of them actually) Vista Enterprise shouldn't have anything to do with it not working.

You might try running Jedi Knight with the '-debug log' command line and see if the debug log it creates says anything (it'll be in the same directory as jk.exe), it might give you a good idea of what's going on, although if JK is crashing before it even has a chance to load it might not create one.
Another thing you could try is setting it to run in compatibility mode for XP or even Win98.
2009-10-06, 2:34 PM #12
Yes it has an intergrated intel graphics card. I can run games like DoD: Source, WarCraft III, Half Life 2 and those games fine with it. I already installed the 3D acceleration fix, so I'll try updating the video card drivers and see if that helps. Thanks.
2009-10-06, 3:21 PM #13
In that case, also try WITHOUT the fix. You shouldn't need it with Intel graphics.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-06, 3:22 PM #14
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
:confused:

we have [/sarcasm] tags, some people forget to use them
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-06, 10:39 PM #15
I've tried both, it just seems like the game isn't starting up.

↑ Up to the top!