Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → McDonald v. Chicago
McDonald v. Chicago
2009-10-07, 7:19 PM #1
So, until proven unconstitutional, is the possession of handguns in Chicago still illegal?

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/09/30/supreme-court-to-hear-mcdonald-v-chicago/

2009-10-07, 7:25 PM #2
Pardon me for living in the woods 5 days a week, but what are you talking about?

Posts, especially those that begin threads, need content dang it! :p
2009-10-07, 7:33 PM #3
Yeah, Google News has nothing.

[Edit: Err I put McDonalds in nm.]

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/09/30/supreme-court-to-hear-mcdonald-v-chicago/

2009-10-07, 7:42 PM #4
"Tank, you've got 10 seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties."
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-07, 10:45 PM #5
It's a real case, but I've only heard about it so far from rabidly pro-gun sources, so it's possibly not as important as they're making it out to be. From what I gather, it's about whether the individual right to own firearms can be enforced against state (and by extension, municipal) governments. A challenge like this was pretty much inevitable after the decision in D.C. v. Heller that there was an individual right to own firearms.

Application of the provisions in the Bill of Rights to the states is not as easy or as obvious as you'd probably think. That's about all I've got time to say about it tonight.

Oh, and yes, the Chicago handgun ban is still effective until and unless the Supreme Court strikes it down.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-07, 11:11 PM #6
uhh, cant they still own a differant kind of firearm, if so, doesnt that technicaly mean they still have the right to bear arms, just only certain types. (not like handguns would be much use against an oppressive government's death squads anyway)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-10-08, 4:24 PM #7
From first glance, I thought this would be about the fast food restaurant, McDonald's.
2009-10-08, 11:49 PM #8
Originally posted by alpha1:
uhh, cant they still own a differant kind of firearm, if so, doesnt that technicaly mean they still have the right to bear arms, just only certain types. (not like handguns would be much use against an oppressive government's death squads anyway)

I don't really like this argument, because if we accept it I'm not sure where it ends. Today we eliminate handguns, tomorrow maybe it's another class of weapons... but as long as someone can bear some kind of arms, the 2nd Amendment isn't being infringed? Even when we get down to the point where the only weapons anyone is legally allowed to carry are flintlock muskets because we've prohibited everything else?

(Note: Plenty of people have argued that the 2nd Amendment only protects the right to carry flintlock muskets, but they've done so from the perspective that that was the original historical purpose of the amendment. I still think it's kind of a silly argument.)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-09, 7:48 PM #9
Originally posted by alpha1:

actually in the event that it becomes necessary to overthrow a government a civilian population would probably want to avoid engaging said death squads anyways and hand guns may prove more imperative for close discrete conflicts.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-10-10, 7:30 AM #10
ugh, again with the guns.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-10-10, 9:01 AM #11
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
actually in the event that it becomes necessary to overthrow a government a civilian population would probably want to avoid engaging said death squads anyways and hand guns may prove more imperative for close discrete conflicts.

You really think your avg. joe is going to last more than a minute in a firefight against a well trained soldier?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-10, 10:12 AM #12
I always hate to get into these far-fetched hypotheticals, but you do realize that a large portion of americans are extremely experienced snipers with regionally specific equipment and a lifetime of knowledge of local terrain and conditions, right?
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!