Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wireless Headphones
Wireless Headphones
2009-10-08, 7:44 AM #1
Hey, Massassi Consumer Advice time again. I'm looking to get some cordless headphones. From the reviews I've read, the Sennheiser RS 130 looks like a good buy, but I don't really know much about headphones. I know that cordless headphones are always going to have poorer sound quality than their cordfull equivalent, but the ease is (probably) worth it. Do you any of you guys have wireless headphones? What do you recommend? Do there exist any bluetooth headphones that can sync directly with an iPod touch?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-08, 7:50 AM #2
If you care about audio quality whatsoever, don't get bluetooth. (It sounds like 96kbps encoded MP3, it's pretty bad)
2009-10-08, 8:29 AM #3
the only bluetooth headphones i've seen are designed for portable use and from what i've read sound like crap

all the decent sounding wireless headphone systems i know of are designed for home use... full size headphones with a big charging base/transmitter unit
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-10-08, 10:26 AM #4
Everytime I've considered getting Wireless headphones, I couldn't think of a reason to use them. I mean... how often are you up walking around the room (since most are only good in one room) while listening to music that you cant load on a pocket sized MP3 player?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-08, 10:30 AM #5
the RS130s have a range of over 300feet
2009-10-08, 10:38 AM #6
Uh, convenience of no cable? Why do you think people like wireless mice? I doubt many people lounge in chairs or beds like the ads on Logitech's site. People just don't like cables.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-08, 10:43 AM #7
I use these with my iPhone when I'm at the gym. I think they're great, but I'm far from an audiophile.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-08, 11:10 AM #8
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
the RS130s have a range of over 300feet

That's likely an overstatement. Most wireless devices advertise distances that the device 'works'. It doesn't mean it will work well, especially if there are walls, or other wireless devices operating in the area on nearby channels.

As for the mice, I use a wireless mouse on one machine, and a corded mouse on the other... I really prefer the corded mouse because I don't end up getting the short lag burst, or the problem of forgetting to recharge it. (The mouse I have can't be charged while in use sadly.... logitech fail)
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-08, 11:15 AM #9
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
(The mouse I have can't be charged while in use sadly.... logitech fail)

:carl:
2009-10-08, 11:24 AM #10
They're not wireless, but I highly reccomend the Etymotic ER-6 isolator headphones.

They are specificially designed with ipod users in mind, and the sound quality is excellent. A little pricey but if you have the same pair of headphones for 5+ years, it is well worth the extra cash.

The cord is nice and long too, so it will allow freedom of movement to run/work out/multitask, etc.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-08, 11:37 AM #11
Originally posted by Onimusha:
They are specificially designed with ipod users in mind

Uh, partial truth. The ER-6s existed long before the iPod, but the newer revisions are "designed for the iPod," which I think just means they come in white. :neckbeard: Actually, the sound is supposed to be slightly improved. But "designed for the iPod" is marketing trash, they work with anything just as well.

Originally posted by Onimusha:
and the sound quality is excellent.

Uh, whole truth. They kick ***. I used to own the ER-6s and bought the ER-4Ps after breaking them. They are even more awesome. They both respond well to bass boost and EQ, which they need since they're pretty flat (by design).
2009-10-08, 11:48 AM #12
my mom bought me wireless bluetooth headphones several years ago. they sounded like **** (but of course i said they sounded amazing). my roommate had wireless sennheisers (not sure if they were RS130s), but they sounded fairly good.

i'm actually in the market for cordless headphones myself, but want one that comes close to my grado sr-60's which it would replace (fantasy).
2009-10-08, 11:57 AM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
Uh, partial truth. The ER-6s existed long before the iPod, but the newer revisions are "designed for the iPod," which I think just means they come in white. :neckbeard: Actually, the sound is supposed to be slightly improved. But "designed for the iPod" is marketing trash, they work with anything just as well.

Uh, whole truth. They kick ***. I used to own the ER-6s and bought the ER-4Ps after breaking them. They are even more awesome. They both respond well to bass boost and EQ, which they need since they're pretty flat (by design).

there are two versions: ER-6's, and ER-6i's. take a wild guess at which ones are the "ipod" versions. the ER-6i's have an elevated midrange and bass to enhance the sound output from small players such as an ipod. also, there are two color schemes available - black/grey/transparent, and white/white/transparent. i have the black/grey/transparent ER-6i's, and they sound pretty good. i kinda miss my shure e2c's though. i'm not audiophiley enough to appreciate the flat response of the ER-6/6i's in general (in other words, not a huge classical music fan).
2009-10-08, 12:02 PM #14
The ER-6s respond very well to bass boosting and other EQ. I'm an audiophile, I guess (not the dumb kind) but I also like a lot of bass.
2009-10-08, 12:24 PM #15
the ER-6 certainly does respond well to EQ and are a great entry point into decent IEMs

though i'd also recommend saving up for something better like the Phonak Audeo PFEs which are like the ER-4p but with a less harsh high end
2009-10-08, 5:30 PM #16
Yes, I was referring to the Er-6i model, since he said he had an ipod touch. Like ragna said, they are actually "tuned", if you will, for an ipod.

If you are willing to spend some serious cash, Shure makes the best IEMs in my opinion.

Being a musician I have had several opportunities to use the E5c in-ear monitor system, and let me tell you -- if you want the best of the best, those are worth the extra coin. I recommend the Etymotics simply because they are a great high-level isolator headphone that won't leave your wallet entirely drained.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-08, 6:10 PM #17
anyone notice the thread id number?

>.> <.<

but yeah, bluetooth sucks for headphones. (though, if you want real good quality, I saw headhpones in japan that went for over 100k yen, and earphones for more than 60k yen)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!