Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poll: Installations - Typical/Express or Custom
Poll: Installations - Typical/Express or Custom
2009-10-12, 11:37 AM #1
I just installed some software and the thought popped up into my head, how many people actually choose Custom installation? I know that I, for 95% of everything I install choose Custom so I can choose the install path, and check/uncheck any additional options that I would like installed as well.

So what about the rest of you, what do you normally choose?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-10-12, 11:41 AM #2
"Typical" because selecting "Custom" is like testing the pool water by taking baby steps in. Install software like a real man.

Save the fear for weaklings and Linux users.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-12, 11:41 AM #3
I'd be surprised if there's a single Massassian who'd prefer Default installs over Custom ones. I, for one, like my folders neat and tidy.

EDIT: Instaposted by ECHO. :)
幻術
2009-10-12, 1:29 PM #4
Custom, but only because I change the directory.
I don't install games to C:\Program files, They go on the E:\ Drive.
2009-10-12, 1:32 PM #5
I partially oversee the network at work, so when I have to install something, I often have to install it 45 times. I always pick the easiest option. When everything is default, it's easy to fix problems. I do the same at home, out of habit.
2009-10-12, 1:34 PM #6
Custom, even though I usually change the directory only for games (since I store all of my games on my non-C HD).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-10-12, 1:37 PM #7
Originally posted by Steven:
I partially oversee the network at work, so when I have to install something, I often have to install it 45 times. I always pick the easiest option. When everything is default, it's easy to fix problems. I do the same at home, out of habit.

Can't push out an install over the network? That must suck
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-12, 1:45 PM #8
I choose custom to install apps on E:, since I have C: dedicated to the OS. Programs that don't allow you to change the install path irk me.

Originally posted by Steven:

For NSIS installers you can pass them switches to set the install directory and to do a silent install.

Of course if the installers do anything wacky such as pop up message boxes during install or specify the default install directory a non-standard way it might not work properly but you won't know until you test it:

/S - silent install
/D=<directory> - set InstallDir variable to change the default installation directory.

/D must come last and must not have quotes around the directory AFAIK.

You also might want to look at AutoIt, AutoIt was created to automate application installs. You might be able to put together a couple basic scripts which you can then tweak for every new installer.

MSI installers have their own switches as well... Start -> Run -> msiexec /? to see them.

/passive is probably good, or /quiet.

2009-10-12, 3:50 PM #9
I used custom as I keep games on one drive and apps on another.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2009-10-12, 3:58 PM #10
Typical.
nope.
2009-10-12, 4:45 PM #11
I use custom just in case the ducker wants to install something like the yahoo toolbar
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-10-12, 4:59 PM #12
I don't keep things installed for the post part.
I install windows. I install office. I install Firefox and Chrome. I install VLC. I install WinAmp. I instal iTunnes.

If I need to a program, I'll download the first trial I come by, normal install, then delete it after.
I have a POS laptop so no games.
2009-10-12, 5:19 PM #13
Custom, so I don't get my Firefox homepage changed to Yahoo, given an Ask.com toolbar, install Weatherbug, and 50 shortcuts for other services I don't want all over my desktop.

↑ Up to the top!