Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need help with another laptop...
Need help with another laptop...
2009-10-19, 1:49 PM #41
Yeah, lying to a customer is a great idea...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-19, 1:56 PM #42
I think Brian hit the nail on the head. (aside from telling her it is XP when it's not, if she's ever used a computer before she'll probably know better)

If she's looking for a netbook, chances are she's not going to want to play Crysis on it or anything, Ubuntu Netbook would be more than enough for what she needs. All you'll need is a 4gig flash drive and a usb port. Any codecs she might need for listening to music or watching videos can be easily downloaded and it already comes with open office, firefox 3, and a load of other utilities.

Either way, a USB cd drive would be easiest, or use the flash drive method, there's plenty of tutorials on how to set it up around. Quick google search brought this up
2009-10-19, 2:03 PM #43
Originally posted by Pommy:
But there are people for which netbooks can deliver what they're looking for. This is called STP (segmentation, targeting, positioning) and is part of a company's marketing mix.

A lot of people dismiss a product or an idea because it doesn't fit their needs ("Why would I buy a Mac when I can get an equivalently-specced PC for $400 less?") and act on the assumption that people who do buy such products are ill-informed, stupid, or need to be "shown the light" -- when in fact they simply have different attribute preferences (read: like different things and/or would pay more for those things). People have different tastes, wants, and needs and in general, if somebody thinks a product is stupid, the product is probably not targeted at him or her.

FYI this is something that is pretty important to keep in mind if you are running a business, as it is relevant to all businesses in being a fundamental portion of marketing*.

*marketing meaning the entire marketing mix and not just advertising [which is actually a pretty small part of it]

In order to make this post less douchey, here is some actual info on how you might install w/out an optical drive:

Install from a network drive (I haven't checked the video so sorry if it sucks but you can google more on it if needed)
Install via flash drive

Or, buy a USB external optical drive and install it like that.

The fact that I am selling it should make it clear that I don't mix my personal opinions with business unless I can benefit from it. That being said, I tell my clients this is the best computer money can buy.

I'll check out those videos. Thanks for the responses.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-19, 2:06 PM #44
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
I think Brian hit the nail on the head. (aside from telling her it is XP when it's not, if she's ever used a computer before she'll probably know better)

If she's looking for a netbook, chances are she's not going to want to play Crysis on it or anything, Ubuntu Netbook would be more than enough for what she needs. All you'll need is a 4gig flash drive and a usb port. Any codecs she might need for listening to music or watching videos can be easily downloaded and it already comes with open office, firefox 3, and a load of other utilities.

Either way, a USB cd drive would be easiest, or use the flash drive method, there's plenty of tutorials on how to set it up around. Quick google search brought this up

She wants office 2007 Spanish, she won't have open office. She wants msn messenger, she wants it to be windows because she also is going to install her own software. I have never used any other O.S. except for windows. So she wants windows XP, and thats what she is going to get.
2009-10-19, 2:12 PM #45
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
She wants office 2007 Spanish, she won't have open office. She wants msn messenger, she wants it to be windows because she also is going to install her own software. I have never used any other O.S. except for windows. So she wants windows XP, and thats what she is going to get.

Then she should be prepared to pay for it. :downswords:
2009-10-19, 2:23 PM #46
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Then she should be prepared to pay for it. :downswords:

It's mexico, it only costs 100 pesos to get a bootleg copy of windows xp installed for you, since most people don't know how to do it, and won't pay microsoft for an original copy. Been like this for years. It isn't going to change.
2009-10-19, 2:26 PM #47
Originally posted by Emon:
Yeah, lying to a customer is a great idea...

Haha, and that's different from installing a pirated version? If I hire someone to do something illegal for me, I would guess I couldn't trust the rest of their activities either.
2009-10-19, 2:38 PM #48
It's mexico, it only costs 100 pesos to get a bootleg copy of windows xp installed for you, since most people don't know how to do it, and won't pay microsoft for an original copy. Been like this for years. It isn't going to change.

Of course, since if everyone else does it, you must do so as well.

Keep in mind this forum is based in the USA and conforms to USA laws when you talk about this stuff.
:carl:
2009-10-19, 2:38 PM #49
'everybody's stealing stuff, why would it matter if I would steal stuff?'

am i right?
2009-10-19, 2:43 PM #50
When Piracy is outlawd only Outlaws will be P..
Oh wait.
2009-10-19, 3:03 PM #51
Originally posted by Brian:
Haha, and that's different from installing a pirated version? If I hire someone to do something illegal for me, I would guess I couldn't trust the rest of their activities either.

No, of course not, I wasn't advocating that he should install a pirated copy.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-19, 4:23 PM #52
The fact that I am selling it should make it clear that I don't mix my personal opinions with business unless I can benefit from it. That being said, I tell my clients this is the best computer money can buy.

I'll check out those videos. Thanks for the responses.

The point isn't "don't mix personal feels with business," that would apply to the Godfather. The point is to realize what segmentation and targeted products are. You shouldn't tell clients that this is the best computer money can buy (that would be "let's make something and throw it at everyone and try to say it's the best for everything"), you should evaluate their needs and then try to offer them something that fit those needs as well as possible ("let's make something that allows this particular type of person to do something they want to do the best way possible").
一个大西瓜
2009-10-19, 5:07 PM #53
i thought you ran a burrito stand
or is it a conglomerate burrito/tech stand?

2009-10-19, 6:40 PM #54
I just had a great idea.
Burritos for free, pay to enter washroom.
Who will invest in this?
2009-10-20, 10:08 PM #55
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't discussing illegal activities on this forum a bannable offense? Or am I remembering something from an earlier era?
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2009-10-20, 10:13 PM #56
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Of course, since if everyone else does it, you must do so as well.

Keep in mind this forum is based in the USA and conforms to USA laws when you talk about this stuff.
:carl:

It's not illegal to talk about piracy. Freedom of speech and all that.

Originally posted by Darth J:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't discussing illegal activities on this forum a bannable offense? Or am I remembering something from an earlier era?

Most forums draw the line at linking or describing methods by which you can pirate software.

EDIT:
Quote:
No illegal software/warez/mp3s - Our forums may not be used as a place for illegal solicitation or trade of illegal or copyrighted material. This includes games, music, movies, and roms. Do not post CD Keys. Discussion of such subjects must be limited to legal and news aspects.

Exactly what I said.
2009-10-22, 1:41 AM #57
Well, this might come to a shock to you. But I know the guy who fixes the computers of the municipal government office. He tells me all the copies of windows, office and nod 32 are pirated.

I'm trying to make a living here, and people here will ALWAYS go for the cheaper deal, unless there's a gun pointed at them. I have to compete with almost every single person who can fix computers in this town, who buys and sells from the same providers, and does the same that I do. In mexico, if you tell someone that they have to pay an extra 1000 pesos for their computer, to have an original copy of windows xp, they will go with any one of your competitors, that will charge 1000 pesos less than you.

It's impossible to have a 100% legitimate business, just simply impossible. In fact, NEVER, never at all has anyone ever asked me for a legitimate copy of windows XP (or vista or office 2007). The only one I have ever purchased is the one I use.

I have no choice.
2009-10-22, 5:57 AM #58
It really is possible to Rationalize anything.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-10-22, 4:07 PM #59
Oh that's easy for you to say. Nobody in this forum could even possibly sell half as much as I do, or anyone here for that matter, being 100% honest. As far as hardware goes, I sell new hardware, with guarantee. Unopened. As far as software goes, I have yet to meet someone else who has an original copy of windows, besides me.

My provider had 7 copies of windows vista last year, this year, they still have those same 7 copies in stock. Nobody want to buy an original copy of windows, nobody will buy it, because its just too expensive for them.

↑ Up to the top!