Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → lolwut?
lolwut?
2009-10-18, 12:47 PM #1
wtf bioshock? :confused:
Attachment: 22861/impossible.jpg (76,712 bytes)
woot!
2009-10-18, 12:51 PM #2
Haha!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-10-18, 12:51 PM #3
I lol'd
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-10-18, 1:12 PM #4
That initial setup of tiles is always the worst. Even when there is a possible solution, I always find myself worked into a corner before I find it.
2009-10-18, 1:24 PM #5
I hate that kind of crap in games. I never did those things, just bought them out. Reminds me of Oblivion. Just maxed out the lockpick spell so I never had to pick locks.
2009-10-18, 1:26 PM #6
Looks like it's time to load up that auto-save!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-18, 1:34 PM #7
The dominated strategy of locked door mini-games comes from the high stakes of losing. The door becomes inaccessible. I think changing doors from gatekeepers to status-effect traps would be more accessible. That is, every failed attempt at hacking makes the process take a lot longer while exposed to enemies. Lockpicks don't break, lockpicking just takes a lot longer if you're unskilled. Instead you'd either take the time/resources/penalties to open a quest-important door, or you'd return to a sidequest door when you've got the skill.

Making locked doors into goals instead of dead ends seems a lot more conducive to gameplay, and people wouldn't just reload 100 times until the mechanism worked.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-18, 1:46 PM #8
"I didn't know steam could form allegiances"
2009-10-18, 1:59 PM #9
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The dominated strategy of locked door mini-games comes from the high stakes of losing. The door becomes inaccessible. I think changing doors from gatekeepers to status-effect traps would be more accessible. That is, every failed attempt at hacking makes the process take a lot longer while exposed to enemies. Lockpicks don't break, lockpicking just takes a lot longer if you're unskilled. Instead you'd either take the time/resources/penalties to open a quest-important door, or you'd return to a sidequest door when you've got the skill.

Making locked doors into goals instead of dead ends seems a lot more conducive to gameplay, and people wouldn't just reload 100 times until the mechanism worked.

If you are unable to complete a hack (aka pipeline mini-game) in Bioshock, you simply take a small amount of damage (or set off an alarm and have to fight off enemies) and are allowed to try again on a new randomly generated hack puzzle. There are no dead-ends.

I had assumed that the game, while randomly generating the pipe mazes, checked them before presenting them to the player to ensure that they were "solveable" because I had yet to encounter an unsolveable one, merely ones that I worked myself into a corner on my own accord. Apparently I'm wrong though! :)

Heck, if you die in Bioshock, you simply respawn nearby with all of your weapons, ammo, and equipment, and a moderate amount of health. Quicksaving is useful but not necessary in the game.
2009-10-18, 2:13 PM #10
There is quicksaving in it now?
2009-10-18, 2:20 PM #11
I didn't really remember Bioshock and was just going on what someone else said about loading, but yeah. Those are good fixes.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-18, 2:38 PM #12
I didn't realize it used to be different. I'm playing through the game for the first time now. Maybe JLee is playing an older version?

Although some of the aspects of the game make it almost too easy in some ways...
2009-10-18, 2:41 PM #13
Hacking in System Shock 2 was much better. I don't know why they didn't just take it outright. Probably wanted to make Bioshock more steampunk. :rolleyes:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-18, 5:50 PM #14
After like the 4 or 5th time, those pipe puzzles in Bioshock got really annoying. I played the PC version, and those sequences boiled down to nothing more than me spastically clicking every tile on the screen to uncover everything and then arrange them accordingly. I wouldn't even call it a puzzle; it's nothing more than an exercise in pattern recognition.
2009-10-18, 5:59 PM #15
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
After like the 4 or 5th time, those pipe puzzles in Bioshock got really annoying. I played the PC version, and those sequences boiled down to nothing more than me spastically clicking every tile on the screen to uncover everything and then arrange them accordingly. I wouldn't even call it a puzzle; it's nothing more than an exercise in pattern recognition.

It's pretty tough when you can't get there from here. :P

I agree, though - they do get old..would be nice if once you solved 'x' difficulty, you'd automatically hack any equivalent system in the future.
woot!
2009-10-18, 6:00 PM #16
Click faster, dammit!
2009-10-18, 6:35 PM #17
didnt quark do the voice of andrew ryan?

↑ Up to the top!