Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows 7
Windows 7
2009-10-21, 4:41 PM #1
Well Windows 7 has just been released here and I'm currently downloading it. I had been thinking about formatting the laptop recently and since I could get 7 Professional for £30 I thought why the hell not.

Anyone as suicidal as me and getting it? :P
nope.
2009-10-21, 4:50 PM #2
waiting for tommorrow for my student preorder. wooh
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-21, 4:55 PM #3
Originally posted by genk:
waiting for tommorrow for my student preorder. wooh

Likewise.
woot!
2009-10-21, 4:55 PM #4
I signed up for the launch party thing. So I already have a free copy of 7 Ultimate (Steve Ballmer Signature Edition, lol).
Stuff
2009-10-21, 4:58 PM #5
Been using it since the beta in january, it really is everything Vista could have/should have been.
2009-10-21, 5:35 PM #6
Originally posted by kyle90:
I signed up for the launch party thing. So I already have a free copy of 7 Ultimate (Steve Ballmer Signature Edition, lol).

i went to a poorly organized lauch event where there were a bunch of boring presentations, with some neat things thrown in here and there, where i recieved a copy of ultimate 32-bit.

they said that there was a problem with the manufacturing of the 64-bit discs and so they said that if you can obtain a copy of the 64-bit disc, the key will work for either version.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-10-21, 5:39 PM #7
"Obtain" lol.
2009-10-21, 5:41 PM #8
thats literally what they said.

they went on to qualify that if you have a MSDN or TechNet subscription blah blah blah.
2009-10-21, 7:19 PM #9
As far as I know, they're correct. The only difference is the media - the key is perfectly valid for either one.
woot!
2009-10-21, 9:21 PM #10
I think one thing alone makes 7 an epic win .. the auto 1/2 screen window sizer thing. I use it every day and just makes multitasking so much easier.
2009-10-21, 9:22 PM #11
You can do it in older Windows too it's just not as intuitive. Open Task Manager, multiselect the windows you want, right click and Tile them.

Or, ctrl+click windows that are NOT part of a group on the taskbar then right click and tile.

2009-10-21, 10:45 PM #12
Cleaning my hard drive and modding stalker in a million times easier and faster because of that.
2009-10-22, 12:45 AM #13
Originally posted by kyle90:

Yeah me too, my party is tonight. A load of the Linux society should be coming

Although I didn't get balloons :(

I really like Windows 7 actually, it seems pretty good. I have some of the usual compatibility problems, it took me a while to get my Wireless adapter and sound card to work (and I still haven't got the lights on my Dell XPS Gen 2 to be controllable :( ) but other than that it all seems pretty good. I have mixed opinions about the 'stacking' that's going on in the start bar; so if you have two chrome windows up, it just lists it under one chrome icon on the start bar and brings up a drown-down box for you to select which one you want. That's a bit odd.

Oh also, I read somewhere that Windows 7 sometimes corrupts mp3 files. Is this true?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-22, 6:34 AM #14
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Oh also, I read somewhere that Windows 7 sometimes corrupts mp3 files. Is this true?

That was a bug in the beta's Windows Media Player software. It was bad enough that Microsoft actually released an update to the beta to fix it, despite them saying they wouldn't be doing updates for betas. In short, it's been long since fixed.
2009-10-22, 7:01 AM #15
Yeah and it was only a problem if you edited the mp3 tags using WMP or Explorer (automatic tagging also caused the problem in WMP).

2009-10-22, 7:05 AM #16
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I have mixed opinions about the 'stacking' that's going on in the start bar; so if you have two chrome windows up, it just lists it under one chrome icon on the start bar and brings up a drown-down box for you to select which one you want. That's a bit odd.

You can change the behaviour of the stacking feature through taskbar settings -- I have mine set to stack only when it runs out of space.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-10-22, 7:24 AM #17
We recently bought a new computer so they will supposedly be sending us an upgrade soon. I don't use that computer much, only to jump on and quickly browse the web, order something online, etc., but I don't really see what the problem with Vista is (from a user's perspective).
2009-10-22, 7:26 AM #18
Originally posted by LordVirus:
You can change the behaviour of the stacking feature through taskbar settings -- I have mine set to stack only when it runs out of space.

o0 nice. Much better.
2009-10-22, 7:26 AM #19
I'm downloading Win7 Pro x64 now - already have my key..might install it when I get home from work tomorrow morning. Gotta sleep now. :D
woot!
2009-10-22, 7:53 AM #20
I just installed it and have emerged on the other side.

First impressions are its snazztacular! :D No painful installation whatsoever.
nope.
2009-10-22, 7:55 AM #21
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I just installed it and have emerged on the other side.

First impressions are its snazztacular! :D No painful installation whatsoever.

HUMPH!

I'm at 66%. .(
woot!
2009-10-22, 7:57 AM #22
Been using the RTM version for development stuff for quite a few months now. I <3 MSDN.

Retail version should be here today for me to blow away my RC installation at home with.
2009-10-22, 8:57 AM #23
I'm not upgrading yet, but if I ever get a blasted job my new rig may be a 7 machine.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-22, 9:26 AM #24
I've been using RTM for a while now on my desktop and it's been super awesome. About to install a retail version I purchased for my tablet to see how W7's new tablet stuff works ... hope it's good!
一个大西瓜
2009-10-22, 9:44 AM #25
I have some special limited edition signature edition, I'm not sure what's different about it. Also, retard question, what do I need to run the 64x version?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-22, 9:59 AM #26
A 64bit processor, I'd imagine. :P
nope.
2009-10-22, 10:04 AM #27
I got a copy of both Ultimate and Home Premium edition for 30 bucks each (that student discount that was posted here a while ago). They say they are upgrade versions but that you can put them on computers with no operating system, so I'm going to have to figure that out since I'm running the RTM version on the new build I made this summer so I don't have any other operating system. Would be a real pain if I end up not being able to install it since its supposedly an upgrade version.
Life is beautiful.
2009-10-22, 10:09 AM #28
Originally posted by Ford:
i went to a poorly organized lauch event where there were a bunch of boring presentations, with some neat things thrown in here and there, where i recieved a copy of ultimate 32-bit.

they said that there was a problem with the manufacturing of the 64-bit discs and so they said that if you can obtain a copy of the 64-bit disc, the key will work for either version.

There shouldn't be different versions. Both x64 and x86 should be on the same disk.
2009-10-22, 10:16 AM #29
Originally posted by Rogue Leader:
I got a copy of both Ultimate and Home Premium edition for 30 bucks each (that student discount that was posted here a while ago). They say they are upgrade versions but that you can put them on computers with no operating system, so I'm going to have to figure that out since I'm running the RTM version on the new build I made this summer so I don't have any other operating system. Would be a real pain if I end up not being able to install it since its supposedly an upgrade version.

upgrade version has a complete install function, you don't need a previous OS
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-22, 10:31 AM #30
I grabbed the discount, too. Got a product key, just waiting on the disks.

Gonna install it once I buy a new rig. Been waiting on a combination of this and December PC Gamer to decide what to get.

Little did I know that Dad already picked up Home Premium, but whatever. I'll stick with Professional.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-10-22, 10:41 AM #31
Originally posted by Ford:
i went to a poorly organized lauch event where there were a bunch of boring presentations

The one downtown, right? Too bad I'm at RIT otherwise I would have gone, too. The Vista launch event a few years ago was pretty nice. It was in the Terminal Tower, in that fancy hotel, the old Cleveland Hotel I think? The presentations would have been boring unless you were a developer, I suppose. But they had food and such, too.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-22, 11:03 AM #32
I got it for free via one of my classes. :awesome: Snow Leopard / Windows 7 is a good pairing on a MBP.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-22, 11:09 AM #33
Originally posted by genk:
upgrade version has a complete install function, you don't need a previous OS

Thats what I suspected, but its good to hear from someone who knows more about these things then I do. :) Though it does bring up the question of why anyone buys the full version for more money in stores when they could just buy the upgrade version.
Life is beautiful.
2009-10-22, 11:47 AM #34
Originally posted by Rogue Leader:
Thats what I suspected, but its good to hear from someone who knows more about these things then I do. :) Though it does bring up the question of why anyone buys the full version for more money in stores when they could just buy the upgrade version.

I looked this up earlier; the Upgrade version allows you (on Vista) to do a clean install of 7 or upgrade your Vista installation. With XP the Upgrade version will only allow a clean install. If you have 2000, you need the Full version and have to do a clean install.
2009-10-22, 2:10 PM #35
Ah, ok then.
Life is beautiful.
2009-10-22, 2:22 PM #36
You have to have Windows already installed on the PC to use the upgrade version. Like, XP or Vista (or 7, I think).

2009-10-22, 2:24 PM #37
Has it been confirmed that you can in fact implement the Vista-workaround you mentioned of "upgrading" 7 from an unactivated version of itself to allow full installations from an upgrade license?
一个大西瓜
2009-10-22, 2:30 PM #38
Originally posted by Emon:
The one downtown, right? Too bad I'm at RIT otherwise I would have gone, too. The Vista launch event a few years ago was pretty nice. It was in the Terminal Tower, in that fancy hotel, the old Cleveland Hotel I think? The presentations would have been boring unless you were a developer, I suppose. But they had food and such, too.

it was at the movie theater in severance town center in cleveland heights, if you're familiar with it. terrible place for something like that. also, the movie theater opened about halfway through, so there were a bunch of little kids running around toward the end of it. and yeah, i'm not really a developer, but i did learn some useful/interesting things.

also, obi, you're dumb. the booklet i received with the disc had a slot for 32 and 64-bit discs, and on the back the package had a space were it said "This package contains Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit a(blacked out with sharpie) versions."

i know what i got. also, why would the Microsoft presenters even mention it if it weren't the case? seriously.
2009-10-22, 3:01 PM #39
I expect it will come installed already on my next laptop.

Until I buy a new one... XP!
2009-10-22, 3:43 PM #40
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
You have to have Windows already installed on the PC to use the upgrade version. Like, XP or Vista (or 7, I think).

Generally they just verify that you have a copy by telling you to put the cd in, right? I don't want to "upgrade" I want to wipe & reinstall.

↑ Up to the top!