Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi World Series Thread: Steinbrenner buys another championship
Massassi World Series Thread: Steinbrenner buys another championship
2009-10-25, 8:56 PM #1
STRUCK HIM OUT!

LAA: 2 NYY: 5

In fact, the West Coast is full of epic fail in sports. West coast teams are abysmal in the NFL. But this is a baseball thread. So this world series is all about the East Coast specifically the Mid-Atlantic. It'll be the Philadelphia Phillies against the New York Yankees on Wednesday.

Thoughts, news/views, predictions? I'm saying Philles in six games. I think they have more depth at pitching than the Yankees.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-25, 8:59 PM #2
Worst team in the sport is on the east coast.
2009-10-25, 9:12 PM #3
Yankees in five or six games. The National league is not as good as the American in general so the Phillies stats are inflated. Lidge as a closer especially in Yankee stadium will be rough for them. He's got amazing stuff but struggles in the spotlight at times. Hamels and Lee scare me as pitchers but Sabathia, Pettitte, and Burnett will be more than enough for the Yanks.

West coast baseball is brutal though. The Angels are the best team off of the west coast. The NL especially sucks there.
2009-10-25, 9:19 PM #4
Originally posted by Jodo_Kast_BHG:
Yankees in five or six games. The National league is not as good as the American in general so the Phillies stats are inflated. Lidge as a closer especially in Yankee stadium will be rough for them. He's got amazing stuff but struggles in the spotlight at times. Hamels and Lee scare me as pitchers but Sabathia, Pettitte, and Burnett will be more than enough for the Yanks.

West coast baseball is brutal though. The Angels are the best team off of the west coast. The NL especially sucks there.

I will agree with this. NL West was abysmal. Dodgers and Rockies completely rolled over and took it up the *** with the Phillies. Pettitte is scary as evident from this game. Which he pitches, problems arise for the other team.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-26, 12:32 AM #5
Go Phillies!!! Can't let them damn Yankees win.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-10-26, 12:44 AM #6
Its about time the Yankees were top dog again.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-26, 8:33 AM #7
Big time Yankee fan, so last night was gratifying many many ways. Looking ahead, I realize the Phillies are a big-time team, but I can't help shake the feeling that NL won't prevail in this case. I know they won last year, but there was Rays team that although good, wasn't dominant. The Yanks can be that dominant, and I find their pitching depth to be superior to that of the Phils. If I had any semblance of balls i would say Yanks in 5, but I'll play it safe and say the Bombers in 6.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2009-10-28, 8:46 PM #8
One game down, three to go.
2009-10-28, 8:50 PM #9
Huzzah! :)
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-10-28, 8:52 PM #10
Originally posted by Onimusha:

Yeah, it's been awhile....5 years or so? :rolleyes:
2009-10-28, 10:56 PM #11
way to go not the Yankees!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-10-28, 11:27 PM #12
Whoo, Phillies!
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2009-10-28, 11:56 PM #13
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

5 years too long.
-Martyn
2009-10-29, 6:44 AM #14
Brutal showing last night. Cliff Lee is good but they made him look outstanding. He also had a ridiculous stop behind his back to stop a base hit. At that point in the game it was a huge play. If Cano reaches there the Yanks could have rallied, got Lee out of the game and destroyed Lidge.
2009-10-29, 7:07 AM #15
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

Yankees fans are not satiated unless they have a WS title every year.

Meanwhile clubs like the Padres and Cubs eagerly await their first championship.
2009-10-29, 7:35 AM #16
Originally posted by dalf:

Basically :ninja:

Also, I got invited to the Yankees game on sunday but i was in ****ing san diego >:(
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-29, 7:47 AM #17

It's so tough being a Yankees fan.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-29, 11:39 AM #18

Meanwhile clubs like the Padres and Cubs eagerly await their first championship.

Hey the Cubs won in 1908 you whiner.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-10-29, 8:20 PM #19
How the **** was that a strike?? Jesus Christ George Steinbrenner DID pay off these umps!

****!!
2009-10-29, 8:29 PM #20
Go Yankees!
2009-10-29, 9:50 PM #21
The only sport in the world where you can scratch yourself for minutes at a time, while in play.
2009-10-29, 9:53 PM #22
I hope the Yankees win because I hate the Phillies.
2009-10-30, 12:09 AM #23
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
The only sport in the world where you can scratch yourself for minutes at a time, while in play.[/QUOTE

Cricket.
2009-10-30, 5:34 AM #24
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
The only sport in the world where you can scratch yourself for minutes at a time, while in play.

Actually it's the only major American sport that doesn't look the same if you watch it in a mirror.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-30, 11:40 AM #25
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
I hope the Yankees win because I hate the Phillies.

"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-01, 8:41 PM #26
Goddamnit. Lidge blows it for the Phillies. Actually where was the third baseman that allowed Damon to steal two??

It pains me to say this but the Yankees are looking like they will buy win another championship.
2009-11-02, 5:49 AM #27
Someone is a bit sore. ;)
2009-11-02, 10:20 AM #28
Goddamnit. Lidge blows it for the Phillies. Actually where was the third baseman that allowed Damon to steal two??

It pains me to say this but the Yankees are looking like they will buy win another championship.

Don't hate the fact that we can afford the best of the best.
-Martyn
2009-11-02, 4:23 PM #29

Texieira was batting lefty so they had the shift on. Rollins was on the other side of second base so Feliz was playing shortstop/over second base. Bet they won't do the shift again with someone on first.
2009-11-02, 7:04 PM #30
Don't hate the fact that we can afford the best of the best.

I do hate that fact. It's what's so ****ed up about baseball. Baseball needs some kind of salary cap system. I remember for a while it was Steinbrenner and Turner who were dishing out mad salaries for players. And they're both douchebags!
2009-11-02, 7:07 PM #31
MLB is kind of ridiculous so long as there's no cap.

PS I hate AJ Burnett the most.

oh man that was bad Posada.

edit - why can't the Phillies ninth inning guy throw strikes?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-02, 10:46 PM #32
Originally posted by Tracer:
MLB is kind of ridiculous so long as there's no cap.

PS I hate AJ Burnett the most.

oh man that was bad Posada.

edit - why can't the Phillies ninth inning guy throw strikes?

Speaking of Posada, has anyone tried his wine? haha
http://www.wittyswine.com/sku04617.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=JORGE%20POSADA%20CABERNET%202005
-Martyn
2009-11-02, 11:02 PM #33
heh i read that as witty swine
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-03, 12:19 AM #34
Come on Phillies!!! Take it to 7!
2009-11-03, 2:40 AM #35
I do hate that fact. It's what's so ****ed up about baseball. Baseball needs some kind of salary cap system. I remember for a while it was Steinbrenner and Turner who were dishing out mad salaries for players. And they're both douchebags!

To be fair, because of revenue sharing in the MLB, any money that the Yankees spend pretty much gives other teams more money to spend as well. Also they actually spent less this year than last year after dumping so many contracts and signing more players to longer year deals. So obviously, the Yankees still do pay the most into revenue sharing.

Also with a salary cap, you have to think on the margin and why a salary cap hasn't ever happened in baseball. Most of the "little" teams that are always like "we can't spend money like the Yankees" wouldn't be able to probably meet the salary cap anyways. Their revenues are so little, it's not like instituting a salary cap is suddenly going to make money just appear into their pockets. Their contracts will pretty much remain the same, and it's the big teams that will take the hit. However, on the net and on the margin, it might be more beneficial to certain teams to have the Yankees and Sox spending millions of dollars because the small teams actually will receive more in kickbacks from revenue sharing.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-03, 7:16 AM #36
Just because the Yankees have the highest away attendance and therefore take in more revenue because of it doesn't mean they should be hurt. The Red Sox paid 53 million dollars just to talk to a guy anyways. He was also not nearly worth the money they paid to talk to him or they paid him to play. Which they should have seen coming. He had a good half of a season and then has been mediocre since then.

Also, some of the high paid players get paid for what they did, not what they're going to do. Thankfully the Yankees got rid of some of them, (Sheffield, Giambi) and are paying guys like A-Rod a lot of money because he is going to produce, not just because he has. Baseball is weird because a lot of the young guys that are really good are stuck in contracts where they can't get paid a lot. That's why the Devil Rays had such a good season. They could afford to keep all their young guys stuck in minor league type contracts.
2009-11-04, 6:59 PM #37
holy **** matsui!
2009-11-04, 8:27 PM #38
If I'm the Yankees, and I win the world series again, I'm really not all that excited.

"Ho hum, we did what we damn well SHOULD do every single year and the fact that we don't is rather pathetic, yawn."
2009-11-04, 8:56 PM #39
Yankees won. End of thread.
-Martyn
2009-11-04, 8:57 PM #40
Until wasty face dalf arrives :D

↑ Up to the top!