Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Meaty (and I mean MEATY) review of Win 7 at Ars Technica
Meaty (and I mean MEATY) review of Win 7 at Ars Technica
2009-10-26, 1:43 AM #1
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2009/10/windows-7-the-review.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Their review of Snow Leopard was excellent, so I thought I'd share this. I haven't read it yet I must admit :)

Enjoy!
2009-10-26, 5:16 AM #2
MEATY indeed, I want to read it but I really don't have time. :(
nope.
2009-10-26, 6:56 AM #3
I'm reading it now and, as usual, Peter B seems to be demonstrating that while he's extremely intelligent, he also has a stick the size of the California Redwood grove stuck up his ***.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-26, 6:57 AM #4
If it wasn't John Paul Jones, no one would care. Really, nothing to see here.
2009-10-26, 7:11 AM #5
Having read it through, it wasn't as good as the SL one. I learned a lot though, mainly because I've never touched Vista.
2009-10-26, 7:17 AM #6
Originally posted by Emon:
If it wasn't John Paul Jones, no one would care. Really, nothing to see here.

How the **** did this get in here? Way to go, VB.
2009-10-26, 7:31 AM #7
EmonFAIL! :D
2009-10-26, 7:36 AM #8
Yeah, that review was rather punishing of Win7. Not that I care, because I know myself how good it is, using the RC :P
2009-10-26, 8:29 AM #9
Originally posted by Martyn:
EmonFAIL! :D

I think it's because I'm using SmarterFox, which loaded the next thread as if it were the next page, and VB's AJAX quick reply got confused.

I'm so sick of people *****ing about the registry. Registry rot and Windows rot are a goddamn myth. Maybe it was true for Windows 9x, but not anymore.

The registry is an incredibly powerful mechanism. True, Microsoft should have published stricter guidelines for developers. The registry isn't a dumping ground for configuration data. But it's incredibly useful for enforcing things like fine-grained group policy across entire domains, something no other OS can even come close to doing.
2009-10-26, 9:28 AM #10
The only problem I have with the registry is that (this is XP centric btw) when you uninstall stuff, by and large it leaves files in there. If nothing else it upsets my OCD about PC cleanliness ;)

(and yes, OSX is far from perfect in this matter too, with its labyrinth of Library folders)
2009-10-26, 11:15 AM #11
i only need to know a few things about W7

1. is it as crap as Vistarrr
2. is it almost as stable as XP
3. Will it give me aids.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-10-26, 11:42 AM #12
It's probably more stable than Vista, which was more stable than XP.

90% of people who think Vista sucks have never used it.

Also, 64% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
2009-10-26, 11:44 AM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
It's probably more stable than Vista, which was more stable than XP.

90% of people who think Vista sucks have never used it.

Also, 64% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Except this one.

There was little wrong with Vista, and it was easily better than XP. Windows 7 refines the complaints people had about Vista, making it even better. Using XP on any modern machine today is like using Windows 98 back before Vista came out. It's just stupid.
2009-10-26, 11:48 AM #14
Yeah, I've never seen a valid reason people call vista "crap". People seem to dislike it because it's not XP.

As for 7 it's pretty much a reskinned vista. Been running it since the beta and haven't had a reason to go back to vista.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2009-10-26, 11:53 AM #15
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Yeah, I've never seen a valid reason people call vista "crap". People seem to dislike it because it's not XP.

As for 7 it's pretty much a reskinned vista. Been running it since the beta and haven't had a reason to go back to vista.

They're frightened by change, or their "techy friend" told them to not like it, so they don't.

Stability hasn't really been an issue in Windows since 2000. Since then, if you have stability issues, it's pretty much because either your hardware is bad, drivers for your hardware are bad, or you're running some poorly written application.
2009-10-26, 12:28 PM #16
Originally posted by Ruthven:
1. is it as crap as Vistarrr
2. is it almost as stable as XP
3. Will it give me aids.

1. No
2. Yes, almost as stable (just wait for a couple of security updates)
3. We will discover that in +/- 10 years
2009-10-26, 12:31 PM #17
[quote=Peter Bright]And it's like crack; I was hooked from the first time I ever did it, and using Windows XP (with its dumb old-fashioned Start menu) feels like stepping back into the 1980s.[/quote]

Mmmkay.
幻術
2009-10-26, 2:23 PM #18
using the products of an immoral corporate monopoly makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2009-10-26, 2:35 PM #19
Skimmed a couple of pages. Unprofessional wall of text.

Too long, didn't read.
2009-10-26, 2:45 PM #20
Seems like he's saying a lot, but he isn't really telling me anything.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-26, 2:51 PM #21
I read it, waste of time.
2009-10-26, 3:04 PM #22
Originally posted by Acharjay:
using the products of an immoral corporate monopoly makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

What's so immoral about Microsoft?
2009-10-26, 3:50 PM #23
what's the point
Take that there and put it in here
2009-10-26, 5:13 PM #24
[http://www.lisburncity.gov.uk/filestore/images/Raw-Meat-1.jpg]
一个大西瓜
2009-10-26, 5:44 PM #25
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Skimmed a couple of pages. Unprofessional wall of text.

Too long, didn't read.

He spent half a page talking about the 2px control spacing difference in Explorer vs Internet Explorer :downswords:

↑ Up to the top!