Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What has the world come to?
What has the world come to?
2009-10-27, 10:31 AM #1
http://news.aol.com/article/girl-gang-raped-at-richmond-california/737436
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-10-27, 11:37 AM #2
It hasn't come to anything. It's always been there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese
2009-10-27, 11:42 AM #3
People act stupidly in groups. I make a point of never being part of a crowd.
2009-10-27, 11:46 AM #4
It sucks that people have the tendency to not want to get themselves involved in a situation like that. They either fear for their own safety or fear becoming a snitch.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-27, 11:50 AM #5
It's called the bystander effect, and I expect it exists for evolutionary reasons. However, we do need to try and overcome it otherwise stuff like this happens.

Horrible thing to happen :(
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-27, 12:05 PM #6
It's called Alcohol and it should be made illegal.. Well maybe not that extreme but it should be illegal for morons to drink it, that's better.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-27, 12:07 PM #7
If morons were not allowed alcohol, most liquor stores would probably have to close down from lack of sales.
2009-10-27, 12:25 PM #8
Yeah, bad stuff. The police pulled two students out of school yesterday and only released one of them. They also want to press charges against the witnesses who watched it happen.

****ed up.
Pissed Off?
2009-10-27, 12:40 PM #9
At least here, I think it isn't just bystander effect, but also a stigma against snitching. Especially in high school, kids who are bad news get away with things because others are afraid to report them. This is in part due to the general incompetence of school employees who turn a either turn a blind eye or are really quite dense. So you may report it, the kids get into transient trouble, but they will be actively looking to who told on 'em.

As for general cowardice, at least for direct intervention, it's sorta justified. If you're a lone guy, and aren't Bruce Lee, taking on multiple guys who are at the very least high on adrenaline is gonna be hard. Also, I doubt talking them out of it would be effective, if you could even get a word in edgewise. And for escalation, if you brought any weapons it would be you in trouble.
2009-10-27, 1:49 PM #10
There's a difference between jumping in to save her and calling the cops or going to get some help.
2009-10-27, 1:50 PM #11
Welcome to a world where no one takes responsibility for anything anymore. God forbid you get the hell kicked out of you instead of that girl getting raped. God forbid you have principles and do what is right despite the possibility of consequences.

All it would have taken is a call to the police and a yell that the police are on their way....and if everyone who passed by did the right thing, then numbers would be on their side, too. And if it was just one guy, then at least it was one more than there was before. But I guess that's someone else's problem, right?
Warhead[97]
2009-10-27, 1:58 PM #12
[Edit: posted in the wrong thread somehow]

2009-10-27, 2:52 PM #13
Quote:
There's a difference between jumping in to save her and calling the cops or going to get some help.

Yeah. In most cases the perpetrator's will have accomplished their goal by the time the cops even arrive.

Some people are ****ing disgusting.
2009-10-27, 3:00 PM #14
It's the Good Samaritan story without the Good Samaritian. How people can practice such a level of apathy in a situation like that is beyond me.
Take that there and put it in here
2009-10-27, 3:02 PM #15
Thousands of non-risk people crowded the swine-flu vaccination stands today, a couple seniors got hurt.
2009-10-27, 3:10 PM #16
The people watching were standing around laughing.
Pissed Off?
2009-10-27, 3:24 PM #17
I think this is one of them situations where an "Eye for an Eye" should apply to all involved.

I can't even imagine going through life as her now.
2009-10-27, 3:26 PM #18
Quote:
This is in part due to the general incompetence of school employees

Don't underestimate the power of our litigious society. Often times school administrations can do nothing about 'bad kids' because they aren't ALLOWED to do anything. Every action they take, they have to worry about being sued by somebody. So they do nothing.
2009-10-27, 3:52 PM #19
"Just chillin' at the high school plaza having a few beers, rapin' girls."

The school should be held liable here too. At our old high school dances, we'd only be allowed to go outside in one enclosed place, and once you came you stayed and once you left you were off the property. They specifically did this to avoid creating horny little drunken gangbangs. This stuff happens all the time almost every night, the only reason this is publicized is because it happened in public. At parties, girls like this get disregarded as "getting too drunk with boys."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-27, 5:37 PM #20
Heh, all too familiar:

http://myspacekillers.com/2007/11/04/latasha-shaw-was-brutally-slain-by-a-mob-made-up-mostly-of-women-and-teenage-girls.aspx
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-28, 10:06 AM #21
****. :( :mad:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!