Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Droid
Droid
2009-10-28, 2:11 PM #1
Has anyone been keeping up with this phone?

Seems pretty decent but I am wondering just how badly Verizon is going to cripple this device. More importantly I am wondering how it will stack up against the HTC Touch Pro 2, which has been getting excellent reviews.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/motorolas-droid-first-look/
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-28, 3:57 PM #2
I only just heard about it. It definitely sounds interesting. Not going to lie, I was hoping for the iphone on verizon but then again I think we're getting the Pre in January. Anyway from what I've seen/heard it's got better build quality than the pre.

Also heres another review I just came across http://gizmodo.com/5391825/motorola-droid-first-hands-on-its-a-terminator
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-28, 4:00 PM #3
I'm still thinking iPhone on Verizon is coming "soon". Apple doesn't want to be exclusive with any carriers anywhere, and they've been showing that by negating exclusivity in many countries.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-10-28, 4:48 PM #4
Supposedly Verizon is leaving the device untouched. It has "with Google" branding which typically means NO MODIFICATIONS, stock software only.

This device has a 5MP camera, the same processor as the iPhone 3GS, and free turn-by-turn navigation (the iPhone requires a subscription thats like $100 or something, I think). It's also running android 2.0, has a keyboard, and is only marginally thicker (like 1mm) than an iPhone. It also has a 3.5mm jack for music and a bigger battery than the iPhone, as well as a bigger screen than the iPhone.

If there ever was going to be an "iPhone Killer", this is it. It has damned near everything. It is the very latest in technology.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2009-10-28, 4:48 PM #5
Droid: Almost Not Worth Writing About
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-28, 4:55 PM #6
I'm definitely thinking about getting one of these babies when they come out
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-10-28, 7:22 PM #7
This is not the droid you're looking for
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-28, 7:33 PM #8
Originally posted by bradsh:
Supposedly Verizon is leaving the device untouched. It has "with Google" branding which typically means NO MODIFICATIONS, stock software only.

This device has a 5MP camera, the same processor as the iPhone 3GS, and free turn-by-turn navigation (the iPhone requires a subscription thats like $100 or something, I think). It's also running android 2.0, has a keyboard, and is only marginally thicker (like 1mm) than an iPhone. It also has a 3.5mm jack for music and a bigger battery than the iPhone, as well as a bigger screen than the iPhone.

If there ever was going to be an "iPhone Killer", this is it. It has damned near everything. It is the very latest in technology.

The pre has a lot of that, and it's no iPhone killer.
2009-10-28, 7:37 PM #9
I'd really like to do or see a side by side comparison with the HTC Touch Pro 2. I've been following that phone since its debut in Europe and was enthralled when I found it was hitting the states. Verizon is being ..well.. Verizon, and not releasing it on display as of yet (although the phone has been for sale online for several weeks now) so side by side reviews at this point are null, unless someone like phonedog does a shootout.

I am wondering how much better the Android system is over winmo though. I personally never used a G1 or have even played around on one to know anything about the OS, other then it has caught alot of people's attention.

The article dud posted pretty much has no substantial claims to it whatsoever.

As for the iphone on verizon -- even if it was released, I would never buy it. Verizon will do a nice hack-job on that phone, you can be sure of that.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-28, 10:33 PM #10
Originally posted by happydud:

what a worthless article. Most of what he said you can say about anything. "There will be a new better version in the future"
2009-10-29, 3:59 PM #11
Not only is it a stupid article, it is also factually incorrect.

Comparing the Samsung Moment's 800mhz ARM11 CPU to the Droid's 550mhz ARM Cortex-A8 is like comparing a 3.0ghz P4 to a 2.0ghz Core2Duo, and then deciding that the P4 is clearly faster. It's just WRONG.

The Droid is BY FAR the fastest Android phone anywhere on the horizon (aside from the Acer Liquid, which will probably suck because it's Acer).

Furthermore, the HERO Sense UI doesn't really compare to Android 2.0. That is like saying Windows XP with Windowblinds is somehow better than Windows 7 because ITS PRETTIER OMG.

The only other thing the article complains about is form factor. WTF? This is one of the (if not THE) thinnest sliders on the market. Which makes it among the best possible scenarios for having a keyboard while avoiding a brick in your pocket. Add in the Cortex-A8 and you have one of the fastest phones on the market, comparable with 3GS, in one of the smallest packages, while still having one of the largest possible screens.

It's painful reading blogs written by idiots.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2009-10-29, 4:42 PM #12
I want.

All hail Google.
2009-10-29, 5:17 PM #13
They should have named it something other than droid.
2009-10-29, 5:25 PM #14
Looks like the strongest Android offering so far, if I didn't have an iphone, I'd go for it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-29, 7:02 PM #15
This is an interesting comparison:

http://mashable.com/2009/10/29/droid-vs-iphone/
2009-10-29, 7:38 PM #16
Phone plans are too ****ing expensive for no reason at all.
2009-10-29, 7:46 PM #17
That no reason= Greed.
2009-10-29, 10:05 PM #18
I want Google to keep their free turn-by-turn app an Android exclusive to stick it to Apple for GVMobile. iPhone users want turn-by-turn they can spend $200 on the TomTom app/cradle.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-30, 2:15 AM #19
I want free turn-by-turn on my N95. .(
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-10-30, 3:45 AM #20
I've always been a fan of Motorola's smart phones, I'm just glad they're stepping away from the windows mobile os, it caused a lot of frustration for me.

One thing I don't like is what the first article mentioned near the end, how certain events, including plugging it into a power source causes a computerized voice to say "Droid". Just in case you forgot what phone you bought, it can remind you every time you go to charge it at night.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2009-10-31, 12:40 AM #21
Heres another review I've been meaning to read:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/motorola-droid-review/
2009-10-31, 9:09 AM #22
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I want Google to keep their free turn-by-turn app an Android exclusive to stick it to Apple for GVMobile. iPhone users want turn-by-turn they can spend $200 on the TomTom app/cradle.

It won't happen. Google needs as much market proliferation as they can get. Not to mention that with the FCC going all crazy bananas over Apple's banning of VOIP products from the app store, it will likely end up with GVMobile on the iPhone.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-11-05, 3:48 AM #23
Originally posted by Yecti:
I'm still thinking iPhone on Verizon is coming "soon". Apple doesn't want to be exclusive with any carriers anywhere, and they've been showing that by negating exclusivity in many countries.

part of the reason for the lack of exclusivity in other countries is that said other countries have laws against having a phone being limited to a specific provider (unless said provider actualy made the phone)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!