Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you live in UT, CO, KS, NE, MO, IA, SD, ND, MT, ID, OR, or WA come in and help me.
If you live in UT, CO, KS, NE, MO, IA, SD, ND, MT, ID, OR, or WA come in and help me.
2009-10-30, 12:04 PM #1
I'm planning a huge road trip, I want to see several states. I'm trying to plan a route, right now I only have somebody very general, it's based only on the states I'd like to see and the approximate length of trip I'm shooting for.

If you live anywhere near my route, I'm asking for you to help me make adjustments to it such that I will be able to see things that are worth seeing. Here is what I have so far, like I said very rough. I basically just picked some cities that made an approximate circle path. The only major landmark I have so far is Mt Rushmore.

UPDATED: Doesn't necessarily match my title...

******LINK UPDATED, SEE POST #11 BELOW******
2009-10-30, 12:09 PM #2
Wrong side of the country for me to help
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-30, 12:29 PM #3
Originally posted by Title:
CO, KS,

Hehe.
nope.
2009-10-30, 2:51 PM #4
WA has a bunch of stuff, depends on your interests. Great hiking, beachs, and the rain forest on the Olympic Peninsula has some awesome campsites. Seattles OK if you like cities. Amazing sailing/boating here.

As far as landmarks, maybe Mt St Helens?

o.0
2009-10-30, 3:13 PM #5
Holy crap, you live in Concord? We lived in Antioch waay back in the day. We went to a chinese place there in Concord all the time.

Anyway, your route is too north for me to have any recommendations, 'cuz my recommendation would be "go south more".
Warhead[97]
2009-10-30, 4:28 PM #6
While in Kansas City, you should sample Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Everyone says you should go down to the Plaza, but it's...eh. A lot of clothing and shopping.

If you know anyone in the area, you can go to Power & Light District. I'd be up for hanging out, if you so desire.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-30, 4:47 PM #7
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Holy crap, you live in Concord? We lived in Antioch waay back in the day. We went to a chinese place there in Concord all the time.

Anyway, your route is too north for me to have any recommendations, 'cuz my recommendation would be "go south more".

Born n' raised! (Technically born in WC but lived in Concord all my life.) Graduated Concord High in 2005.

So when did you get out of dodge?
2009-10-30, 5:13 PM #8
Originally posted by Greenboy:
WA has a bunch of stuff, depends on your interests. Great hiking, beachs, and the rain forest on the Olympic Peninsula has some awesome campsites. Seattles OK if you like cities. Amazing sailing/boating here.

As far as landmarks, maybe Mt St Helens?

Haha, that mountain was way cooler before it blew up.
2009-10-30, 5:36 PM #9
Your route through Idaho is one of the most barren, godawful drives known to man. Just fair warning. There is nothing worth seeing near the interstate, unfortunately. Only thing I can think of is make sure to check out Shoshone Falls when you get to Twin Falls. Sorta the wrong time of year for it, but cool nonetheless.

If you want to zest it up a bit, take route 20 west from Idaho Falls and see Craters of the Moon national monument. Pretty cool place. Then head on down to Shoshone and Twin Falls via route 93. Also much better scenery if you go that way; you'll end up much closer to the mountains/wilderness.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-10-30, 5:37 PM #10
For ID, Craters of the moon is a good visit. They have some pretty neat lava caves to go exploring.

And, if you aren't claustrophobic, there are some neat crawl spaces that you can go into. Just make sure you bring a flash light.

Also, The grand Tetons and Yellowstone are a must see (Every one should see old faithful at least once). If you have your hiking gear with you, then I would say go for a nice long hike up the Tetons (Alaska basin is a great place to hike to). You don't have to do so much walking if you choose to go to yellowstone.
:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) Im Happy
2009-10-30, 6:01 PM #11
Originally posted by Cogman:
Also, The grand Tetons and Yellowstone are a must see (Every one should see old faithful at least once). If you have your hiking gear with you, then I would say go for a nice long hike up the Tetons (Alaska basin is a great place to hike to). You don't have to do so much walking if you choose to go to yellowstone.

I had the opportunity a couple years ago to stay 2 nights at the Old Faithful Inn (One of the coolest experiences of my life, btw), so luckily I've seen all this. Also stayed a week in Jackson Hole and hiked all over the Tetons. This is why I'm largely avoiding Wyoming this time around, as I've seen much of it.

I'll take the advice on the rest of Idaho, however.....sounds like fun.

Updated! :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Concord,+CA&daddr=Ely,+NV+to:US-6+E+to:US-6+E+to:Unknown+road+to:I-25+S+to:I-25+S+to:Wichita,+KS+to:Kansas+City,+KS+to:Omaha,+NE+to:Lincoln,+NE+to:North+Platte,+NE+to:Mount+Rushmore,+Rapid+City,+SD+to:Billings,+MT+to:Dillon,+MT+to:43.516689,-112.955933+to:Twin+Falls,+ID+to:Concord,+CA&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFY0pXgIdem68-Q%3BFQwqXgIdAEm9-Q%3BFfgkXgIdGJq9-Q%3BFZQLXgIdVMG9-Q%3BFUxrUAIdzlTA-Q%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=10&mrsp=15&sz=10&via=2,3,5,6,15&sll=43.344156,-112.666168&sspn=0.720069,1.234589&ie=UTF8&ll=42.887033,-113.930969&spn=0.725468,1.234589&t=h&z=10

I'm really looking for things to do in Kansas and Nebraska. I know I want to *see* them, but it would be nice to do a little more than just drive straight through em.
2009-10-30, 6:23 PM #12
Pikes Peak is the only thing I know about in Colorado Springs. Your route will take you right by Red Rocks as you go into the mountains west of Denver. They've got a big outdoor amphitheater there and lots of trails and such. Your route through Utah should take you right by Arches National Monument. I don't know of much else on your route there. Goblin Valley isn't too far off I-70 near Green River. Kind of a cool place to go see. Other then that all the stuff I know about is south of where your going. Zion's National Park. Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell and all that good stuff.
Life is beautiful.
2009-10-30, 6:39 PM #13
Originally posted by Wolfy:
While in Kansas City, you should sample Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Everyone says you should go down to the Plaza, but it's...eh. A lot of clothing and shopping.

If you know anyone in the area, you can go to Power & Light District. I'd be up for hanging out, if you so desire.

I was at the Power 'n ' Light a couple of weeks ago :)
2009-10-30, 8:39 PM #14
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Born n' raised! (Technically born in WC but lived in Concord all my life.) Graduated Concord High in 2005.

So when did you get out of dodge?

Oh, I had to be only about 8 when we moved out to Phoenix, but I still remember Antioch and the drive to Concord pretty well. And the potstickers from Lupings (still haven't found better ones).
Warhead[97]
2009-10-30, 9:15 PM #15
Kansas:

Garden of Eden - Lucas, Kansas. Huge structure/garden of concrete sculptures with a biblical slant made by outsider artist.

Agricultural Hall of Fame and Museum - Kansas City, Kansas. More interesting than it sounds, and a great place to be in the zombie apocalypse

El Dorado State Park is pretty enough, and is on your route already.

Missouri:

Red X - Riverside, Missouri. Maybe too far east, this is a gigantic liquor/grocery/antique store where you can smoke while sitting on a giant bronze elephant, or browse their large collection of glass eyes and teeth.

I don't know much Nebraska.
2009-10-30, 9:18 PM #16
Most of the awesome stuff I know of is on the East Coast. A bit in AZ but you're not going there either. I've never been any of the places you're going. :(

2009-10-31, 2:13 PM #17
Originally posted by saberopus:
I was at the Power 'n ' Light a couple of weeks ago :)

Where do you live?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-31, 9:04 PM #18
Picked this puppy up today in preparation for the road trip! 2003, 63k miles, I wanted a "beater" anyway for the cold mornings when I don't wanna drive the Camaro so it made sense. Should be a nice road trip car.

[http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/andrew61987/camaro/P1050456.jpg]

[http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/andrew61987/camaro/P1050455.jpg]
2009-10-31, 9:39 PM #19
Practical!

Greenboy, you live in WA?! I should have figured. :P (I am out here as of this summer, but have not encountered any Viking boats)
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!