Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Buying laptop
Buying laptop
2009-10-30, 2:31 PM #1
Hey guys, I know a few of you are pretty knowledgeable on the subject so I figured I'd come here for help first. I need to buy a new laptop for college, because I'm transferring -- and the university I am currently attending provides them for us "free of charge" (obviously we do not keep them). I was wondering what are some good choices on the cheaper end of the spectrum? I want to be able to run some higher end games, but running them on the "high" setting is not a priority. I want to stay under $800 at the absolute MOST. Any help you guys could provide would be great, thanks.
2009-10-30, 3:36 PM #2
Trying to find a cheap gaming laptop isnt easy because it's sorta like asking for everything.

I would try to figure out what level of gaming performance is acceptable to you. It's almost all about the videocard- for example some people are satisfied with AMD HD3200 or Geforce 8400M but I know It wouldnt be enough for me. I would need something with a Geforce 8600M/GT130M or AMD 4650+. I think everyone would agree to stay away from Intel graphics.

As I scroll thru Newegg laptops, the cheapest ones that would suite my purposes as a light gaming laptop run ~$750.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-10-30, 4:54 PM #3
under $800 is sorta hard for what you're looking for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152126
But proc kinda sucks and keyboard is a little weird

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157046
Relatively better GPU but I dunno bout the proc
一个大西瓜
2009-10-31, 11:36 AM #4
The laptop wouldnt be *for* gaming but I would like to be able to do some gaming on it. Thanks for the suggestions and I will check them out.
2009-10-31, 11:46 AM #5
LOLmac.

But seriously, the revamped MacBooks are almost identical inside to my 4 month old macbook pro. Boot Camp + Win7 = happy gaming?

EDIT: Got my currency conversion wrong - they're $1000 :(
2009-10-31, 12:00 PM #6
Student discount + refurb from apple = just around $800
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-31, 1:07 PM #7
Oh yeah I forgot about that

A 15" MBP with a 9600M GT would probably be better than that MSI I listed but you'd have to get it for $800 which seems sort of impossible

I would still recommend that HP (4650 > 9600M GT) even though these really aren't "gaming" laptops (and gaming laptops aren't really worth it anyways)
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!