Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Avatar trailer 2
2009-10-30, 5:18 PM #1
720p

1080p

Epic trailer although the plot does seem reminiscent of Dances of Wolves. Regardless, this is a James Cameron film we're talking about and it's suppose to propagate 3D films.
2009-10-30, 5:56 PM #2
Never heard of the movie before.

a.) watching it in full res - holy crap
b.) Looks like its going to be an awesome movie.
2009-10-30, 6:29 PM #3
Wow. Very cool. I actually thought this would be about that movie based on the anime of the same name, where monks (ninjas?) control nature's forces or something like that. So this was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. Thanks for the heads up!
幻術
2009-10-30, 6:41 PM #4
Originally posted by Koobie:
Wow. Very cool. I actually thought this would be about that movie based on the anime of the same name, where monks (ninjas?) control nature's forces or something like that. So this was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. Thanks for the heads up!

That movie is titled "The Last Airbender." Love the second Avatar trailer, though it gives a lot away.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-30, 9:26 PM #5
I'm a bit confused though. They developed anti-gravity devices, can grow genetically altered bodies, produce giant robot mechs and space travel, but they don't have the medical means to make a paraplegic man's legs work again?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-30, 9:54 PM #6
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I'm a bit confused though. They developed anti-gravity devices, can grow genetically altered bodies, produce giant robot mechs and space travel, but they don't have the medical means to make a paraplegic man's legs work again?

From what I gathered in the trailer, that's part of the motivation for him helping. That if he does help, they'll fix his legs. I guess it's a really expensive procedure or something?
2009-10-31, 10:11 AM #7
Yea, ECHO, I thought the same exact thing. Though I didn't think of it, CM's idea sounds legit.
2009-10-31, 11:16 AM #8
Certainly looks better than the first trailer. Still doesn't look like the 'best movie ever' as I've heard it described.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-31, 12:00 PM #9
I haven't heard it described as the "best movie ever", just technologically groundbreaking in terms of how movies are made.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-31, 10:25 PM #10
What a miserably cliche story. Are there really no original scripts to throw millions after? It's like someone took the script of filler episode from a crappy si-fi show and threw an enormous budget behind it.

The CG was good I suppose, but nothing close to realistic. I guess that's what they were aiming for though so they did a good job. It looked like the sort of thing that we could nearly do in real time with in the next five to ten years.
2009-11-01, 2:42 AM #11
And yet there are photos with not post-production that look like they're not real. If it's not something you're used to seeing (blue humanoids, floating islands etc) it's never going to look realistic.

I believe what actually happened is that James Cameron came up with the story and waited many years for the technology to film it to become available. The point wasn't to be original, it was to make the film that he wanted to make (which in my mind is the only appropriate thing to do). Originality is a pointless goal.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-01, 4:15 AM #12
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
What a miserably cliche story. Are there really no original scripts to throw millions after?

Let's see your effort then?

No?

All the "greatest stories" are variations on themes recycled over and over. It's not about being original, it's about taking viewers/listeners on a ride they can connect to and characters they can empathise with. You can have horribly clichéd stories told excellently which can be utterly moving. Christ, look at any classic Disney movie.

That aside, I bet it's going to a great spectacle however it turns out.
2009-11-01, 9:26 AM #13
Been looking forward to this movie since I read the script back in the 90s.

Wasn't sure if the script was legit. Turns out it totally was.
2009-11-01, 9:47 AM #14
Yeah it looks pretty kickass.

James Cameron generally turns out pretty good movies. Say what you will about Titanic, it's still a pretty good flick.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!