Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
2009-10-31, 7:28 PM #1
SAJN review:
:eek:over the top, still fun

Intelligent review
For starters, I'll say I enjoyed this movie. It's similar to the original, although it tries too hard sometimes. There was nothing spectacular about this movie. The direction and cinematography was OK, the acting was on par with the first, the soundtrack was pretty dumb, but the writing was clever. There were many nods to some of the funny parts in the first film (symbology!). All of the characters from the first film are back, in one way or another. They tried to flesh out some of the character a bit more. That was pretty good.

Scroll down for more.
[http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7030/freegold.th.png]

There were more action scenes than in the first. They were all pretty much the same - shooting up the bad guys, using two guns at a time. Lots of bodies fall, lots of blood sprays. It was amusing. Some of the action scenes are ridiculous - even worse than the "rope" scene in the first in terms of believability. They sort of ruined the "innocent" nature that "the boys" had in the first movie by changing them from bumbling "amateurs" into "superheroes" in the vein of James Bond or Tom Cruise as that guy from Mission: Impossible.

I'd say it's not as good as the first, due mainly to Duffy "trying too hard" and going a little bit "over the top," but it's entirely enjoyable. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, so I was pleasantly surprised. It's easily worth the $9 I paid to see it.
2009-10-31, 7:53 PM #2
I probably won't go see it. Most likely because most people I know cream their pants every time boondock saints is mentioned and won't shut up about how great the movie is, like it's the second coming of Christ in movie form. I didn't enjoy the first one because of that, and won't waste my time on this one.
2009-10-31, 7:55 PM #3
Here's an idea: go with a different group of friends.
2009-11-01, 1:31 AM #4
I seriously didn't even know this existed as a finished product until Thursday night. I had given up on the movie ever actually being made.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-01, 4:40 AM #5
RANT:
Hey let's open this in only 60 theaters.
Let's let one of those 60 NOT be a characters home town. Det. Greenly can't even go watch a movie he acted in. And the 500,000 + people in the area who are fans of him and the movie can't either. Yea, great idea.
2009-11-01, 6:39 AM #6
Maybe movie distributors think based one monetary gain as opposed to sentimental value. Somehow I think opening the movie in markets like LA, Chicago, and New York is probably a pretty good idea, considering it has been proven to work over the course of the last 60 years or so.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-01, 7:32 AM #7
Yes, that is very true.

Opening it here would mean even more monetary gain, though.
2009-11-01, 8:09 AM #8
Yeah. The distributors don't have any idea what they're doing.

Ask Tucker Max what happens when you disregard the limited release norm in Hollywood. Your movie grosses about 1 million dollars in a month and nobody even knows it exists even though it's a pretty good flick.

The reason they don't send it to select markets like hometowns of the actors is because those prints will make more money in bigger markets like LA, NYC, and Chicago, than it would in Portland, Maine. Most people might say they'd go spend $9 to go see a movie starring a guy they went to high school with, but when push comes to shove, you spend money sending that print to theaters, and you end up making less money sending it to a city of 62,000 people than you would sending it to a city of 5-10 million people.

It's simple supply and demand.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-01, 8:29 AM #9
Can't I just ***** about not being able to see it on the big screen?

Well at least it's 60 screens, no Columbine to axe it's running.
2009-11-01, 8:35 AM #10
Sure, you can complain about not getting to see it in your are, or you and all the other Bob Marley fans can do something about it.

http://eventful.com/performers/the-boondock-saints-ii-all-saints-day-official-/P0-001-000215180-2/demand
>>untie shoes
2009-11-01, 8:38 AM #11
Too bad it's opening only in a limited number of theaters...
2009-11-01, 8:43 AM #12
Depending on how it does in the select markets it will expand.

It's a near certainty it will expand, it's just a question of how much.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!