Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Connectify / SoftAP in Win7 a reality!
Connectify / SoftAP in Win7 a reality!
2009-11-02, 11:11 AM #1
Just thought I'd let you know about this little new thing in Windows 7 for SoftAP

Basically, MS finally got with the times like Apple and have now added for functionality to create a software access point of your system. AKA, I can share my internet connection as an actual access point, rather than an adhoc network. However, they didn't really make a frontend for it in 7, but these guys picked up where they left off. Some of you who may frequent Sony/MS/Nintendo boards often will see people asking if they can get their PS3, Xbox, iPhone, DS or whatever to connect wirelessly to the internet through a broadcasted SSID from their laptop. Usually it had to result in an Ad-Hoc network (unless on OSX), and I know for a fact PS3 doesn't support ad-hoc. But hopefully some of you can put this new feature of Windows 7 to good use.

http://www.connectify.me/

It might be getting hammered right now (popular on Gizmodo), but it works wonders. Now I can have my PS3 / iPhone connect wirelessly to the internet through my laptop, without having to purchase a wireless router over here in the UK. More beer money!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-02, 11:31 AM #2
That's pretty cool. How many devices don't support ad-hoc? It seems rather silly not to.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-02, 3:01 PM #3
I don't know what this means, So I guess it doesn't matter for me.

↑ Up to the top!