Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the file name you specified is not valid or too long.
the file name you specified is not valid or too long.
2009-11-02, 4:38 PM #1
I have a directory that I would like to delete (an iphoto backup library) however I get the error "the file name you specified is not valid or too long." when I try to delete it.

Ive already tried to delete the folder via Dos, but nothing happens after that :/

Any suggestions?

Also I'm on Windows 7, the directory was created by OSX.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-02, 4:46 PM #2
Rename each folder to "a", starting with the root directory.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-11-02, 4:54 PM #3
Well right now the directory is only D:\backup\music\Pictures

Trying to delete the Pictures folder. We'll see how it goes :p
2009-11-02, 5:08 PM #4
Hurr I think I found the source of the problem. OSX creates temporary files named "._file.jpg" or whatever extension. Somehow when transferring from OSX to windows (and vice versa) I was left with files named: ._V:\Users\Pat\Desktop\test0199.jpg and "V:\Users\Pat\Desktop\test0199.jpg"
:psylon:
2009-11-02, 5:16 PM #5
Impossible. File names cannot contain a :. Also the drive letter is not stored on the drive in any way shape or form, since it can be reassigned by the OS' whim.

do a dir /s /a /b inside the directory in command prompt and paste it here, maybe someone can spot the problem file (that's the Windows command, not sure of the appropriate linux one... "find ." maybe?)

2009-11-02, 5:20 PM #6
:tinfoil:
Attachment: 22962/what.jpg (107,415 bytes)
2009-11-02, 5:23 PM #7
Code:
H:\backup\music>dir /s /a /b
H:\backup\music\.DS_Store
H:\backup\music\1
H:\backup\music\PandoraJam
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary
H:\backup\music\1\iPhoto Library
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\.implicitAlbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\.Info.apfolder
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\Aperture.aplib
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\ApertureData.xml
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\Info.plist
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\.implicitA
lbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\.Info.apfo
lder
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\01-selects
Query.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\02-oneStar
Query.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\03-rejecte
dQuery.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\04-inTheLa
stWeekQuery.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\05-inTheLa
stMonthQuery.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\06-01-99-2
007Query.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\06-2006Que
ry.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\07-2005Que
ry.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\08-2004Que
ry.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\   Built-in Smart Albums\09-entireL
ibraryQuery.apsmartalbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\Aperture.aplib\ArchiveInfo
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\Aperture.aplib\DataModelVersion.pli
st
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\Aperture.aplib\Library.apdb
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\.implicitAlbum
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\.Info.apfolder
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events\.implicitAlbu
m
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events\.Info.apfolde
r
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events\100CASIO.appr
oject
H:\backup\music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events\100CASIO.appr
oject\2008-01-02 @ 01:58:46 PM - 1.apimportgroup
oject\Album.implicitAlbum
oject\AP.Minis
oject\AP.Thumbnails
2009-11-02, 5:26 PM #8
You posted two different folders...

2009-11-02, 5:33 PM #9
Yeah cause the school folder is where i saw the funky file names :P the entire backup directory had 3,000+ files and my cmd window didnt have enough lines for it. Anyway i tried "rmdir /s music"

Code:
H:\backup>rmdir /s music
music, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
music\1\Aperture Library.aplibrary\iPhoto Library\Events\100CASIO.approject\2008-01-02 @ 01:58:46 PM - 1.apimportgroup - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Data\2004\Drive up : misc - The system cannot find the file specified.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Data\2004\Rochester : NYC : Misc - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Data\2008\weekend stuff  - The system cannot find the file specified.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Modified\2004\Rochester : NYC : Misc - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Modified\2008\weekend stuff  - The system cannot find the file specified.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Originals\2004\Drive up : misc - The system cannot find the file specified.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Originals\2004\Rochester : NYC : Misc - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
music\1\iPhoto Library\Originals\2008\weekend stuff  - The system cannot find the file specified.
music\PandoraJam\mbeggar4's QuickMix\Desmond Dekker - Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da ? Wise Man (Medley).m4a - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

The 'music' folder is now 1mb (down from 14gb) so it seems to have worked. Now I'm just left with a few straggler directories.
2009-11-02, 5:43 PM #10
Format, it's the only way.
:colbert:
2009-11-02, 5:45 PM #11
You, out of my thread.
:colbert:
2009-11-02, 5:45 PM #12
Looks like Mac OSX has written invalid entries. You might need special tools that can do low level manipulation of the file system to remove them.

Try deleting them on Mac OSX or a Linux LiveCD, you'll probably have more success.

2009-11-02, 5:46 PM #13
oh well, at least I managed to get rid of the directory
2010-11-06, 4:03 AM #14
There's a long path tool in my pants, genius.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-11-06, 7:19 AM #15
Originally posted by The MAZZTer:
Impossible. File names cannot contain a :. Also the drive letter is not stored on the drive in any way shape or form, since it can be reassigned by the OS' whim.

Just came to say this is LIES. I was developing a project that used log4j. In my log4j.properties file, I had a FileAppender write out to c:\temp (should have been target/, but hindsight being 20/20...). I forgot to add the properties file to svn:ignore and checked it in.

A co-worker who works in Linux checked out the project, built it, made some changes, and ran the tests, which caused a folder beneath the project directory called "c:", which a folder beneath called "temp" (because Linux has no concept of the "c:" drive). He checked it back in, neglecting to catch the c:. When I tried to check out it from SCM, I couldn't, because Windows can't create c: directories.

Overall lesson: when developing Mavenized projects, always direct secondary artifacts resulting from a build into target/, not anywhere else!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!