Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Food allergies and intolerances
Food allergies and intolerances
2009-11-04, 12:53 AM #1
tl;dr version at the bottom.

So I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself right now and since misery loves company I thought I'd share it the internet. My doctor recently suggested I try taking a psyllium based fibre supplement to help with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The psylium is meant to be a very mild form of treatment with rare and limited side effects, but I bet you can all see where this going.

I first tried the powdered drink mix form of metamucil and being naturally cautious these days of introducing new food stuffs, I cut the recommended dosage down to 25% and drank plenty of water. But apparently that wasn't enough as the previous meal soon made a second appearance in a less appetising display.

A trip back to the doctor and he suggests that taking fibre supplements in a capsule form may avoid the previous unpleasantness. I acquire said capsules and take a note of the dose. The bottle says to take between two to six capsules. With the old saying once bitten twice shy ringing in my head, I decide to take one with plenty of water. I manage to avoid the side effects of the previous experiment, but am gifted with a whole new set.

I've just spent the last 4 hours in a tiny room on an uncomfortable porcelain throne feeling like my abdominal region was trying to emulate Kane's death scene in Alien. So much for 'rare and limited side effects'. It's good to know I'm living on the edge of the bell curve. If I had taken the stronger dose I'm pretty sure my intestines would have exploded. So now I'll add psyllium to the list of things I can't eat or drink. A list that already contains things like: caffiene, carbonated drinks, alcohol, spicy foods, greasy foods, fatty foods, sweet foods, capsicum, excess dairy and generally anything else with flavour.

So who else has any food allergies or intolerances? The more inconvenient and unusual the better.

tl;dr version: Food stuff meant to make me better has complete opposite effect. Share food intolerances and allergies.

[edit] I just realised that this post makes my title finally make sense. Good work prognosticative admins.
2009-11-04, 1:20 AM #2
My ex girlfriend was gluten broken. But she was a skanky ho, so we don't care that she had bad guts, because that matched the rest of her TWISTED INSIDES.

It's good to vent sometimes <_<
2009-11-04, 4:03 AM #3
haha.

I don't really have any such problems.. .Though maybe I have to be careful with reallly spicy foods.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-11-04, 8:43 AM #4
slight allergy to certain powdered milks...

Migraine triggers:
1. red wine
2. chemicals in strongbow
3. cheese
4. tomato

Psoriasis triggers:
Alcohol
Cigarettes
Sugar

Conclusion:

Waaaa whats the point in life if i cant eat anything :gbk:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-11-04, 9:14 AM #5
No known intolerances or allergies.

Well, I say "no known" because I've started to notice that I get a really mild allergic reaction to something in the paper that Warburton's Toastie comes in. It's probably something to do with the dye because it doesn't happen if I'm handling the medium cut stuff.
nope.
2009-11-04, 9:23 AM #6
I get really bad heartburn if I eat tomato products.

I can eat tons of spicy food, but tomatoes just do it to me.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-04, 9:39 AM #7
My brother is allergic to amoxicillin. I am mildly allergic to dust but that's about it (makes my nose run and my eyes red and gunky).

2009-11-04, 9:51 AM #8
I'm not allergic or intolerant of anything.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-11-04, 9:52 AM #9
i get really bad allergic reactions to certain peppers. i get red splotches all over, and my nose, lips, and ears get huge and also red.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-11-04, 9:54 AM #10
I'm allergic to a lot of medicine, but for food I'm allergic to cinnamon and cloves and am intolerant to beef and dairy. I think there is something else I'm allergic to, but I can't remember (bad!). And now that I have gotten my gallbladder out I can eat fatty foods like nuts without dying! :D

But yeah...being intolerant to beef sucks. I miss steak. :(
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-11-04, 10:10 AM #11
I think I had a mild reaction to penicillin way back in the day, but that's about all I can think of.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-11-04, 10:23 AM #12
My stomach is made of cast iron. The only time I really had problems was when I ate an (apparently) rancid hamburger from Jack in the Box, but I don't think that counts.
2009-11-04, 10:27 AM #13
There are some foods that seem to just go straight through my system (such as sushi), but as far as I'm aware, I'm not allergic or intolerant to any foods. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself allergic/intolerant to something or other.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-11-04, 11:00 AM #14
I've had minor food poisoning from bad fish before. I think I also had food poisoning from a sub sandwich left out for a day or two.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-04, 11:15 AM #15
Originally posted by Martyn:
My ex girlfriend was gluten broken. But she was a skanky ho, so we don't care that she had bad guts, because that matched the rest of her TWISTED INSIDES.

Haha! :D If I ever become gluten intolerant, I think I'd starve to death.
2009-11-04, 11:17 AM #16
I'm allergic to:

Clindemayacin
Doxycyclin
Benedryll
Neo and Polysporin
Adhesives (paper tape is my only option, and even then only for a day or so. I can handle tape as long as it doesn't stay on my skin long)
Supposedly my allergy test back when I was a baby said I'm allergic to peaches. I've never tried, nor am I particularly anxious to.
Latex, possibly. It's minor so I don't worry about it (itchy eyes/runny nose).

Things that I can only have in moderation:
Very spicy foods
2009-11-04, 11:36 AM #17
Originally posted by Jep:
I'm not allergic or intolerant of anything.

This.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-04, 12:19 PM #18
I've never had any allergy tests but I'm fairly certain that I'm allergic to cats, dogs & dust. Maybe mildly allergic to grass as well. I'm not aware of having any food allergies. I have 2 cats but a generic over-the-counter allergy medication tends to ward off most of it.
? :)
2009-11-04, 1:44 PM #19
Originally posted by Steven:
rancid hamburger from Jack in the Box

Is there any other kind?

I don't have any known food allergies, though if I eat/drink a lot of milk or ice cream it sometimes bothers my stomach, so I wouldn't discount mild lactose issues. As for nonfood allergies, I get a weird breakout of bumps on the backs of my hands sometimes when I'm outside for awhile. My guess is some plant, but it doesn't seem to be caused by contact.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-11-04, 2:35 PM #20
Deodorants make me sneeze for a few minutes after spraying. I'd say "certain deodorants" but sometimes I'll be fine with a brand for months and then one day they'll make me sneeze. Most furry animals seem to bother me as well, which is a shame as I quite like most pets. Although I know two people with alsatians and only one of those dogs actually sets me to sneezing, which is weird. Like Mentat, your average allergy medication works wonders for me.
2009-11-04, 4:40 PM #21
amoxicillin, purfume/cologne
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-11-04, 6:13 PM #22
Check out the Paleo diet (diet as in "the kind of stuff I eat" not "weight lose carb counting diet). It's very healthy, and there have been more and more studies indicating that it causes a lot of health problems to go away (from bad skin to IBS to helping to reduce heart attacks).

Before people write this off (because most thing that claim to fix everything should be written off...), it's basically a return to the kinds of foods humans ate for hundreds of thousands of years. It's what our bodies are evolutionarily used to eating. When we started introducing weird (for our bodies) things into our diet, we started developing all sorts of weird health problems.

I'd recommend it for anyone who's looking to improve fitness, or especially anyone with a variety of health problems. Even if it doesn't help them, it'll still improve overall fitness.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!